Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Lots of thrilling Thrifty Thursday entries this week! I especially like the Rough Ryder canoe, muskrat, and (carbon?) Barlow! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I discovered that my spreadsheet containing my rotation schedule, knife category lists, mailing addresses of BF members, and so on also contains a page I had forgotten that was an inventory of my earliest knives bought back in 2014 and 2015, including a column for prices of knives for which I can no longer locate receipts. So I now can participate in this thread for a few more weeks! :):thumbsup:

Back in April 2014, I bought my first Rough Riders, a set of 12 different patterns all in amber jigged bone. If I figure that each knife in the set was purchased for 1/12 of the total price, that makes the cost of each knife $7.50. I'm going to post one of these knives for each of the next 12 weeks, whether you like it or not! 🤓 😁 Here's a thrifty Barlow from that first RR set:
barlow.amber.open.jpg

- GT

Lots of thrilling Thrifty Thursday entries this week! I especially like the Rough Ryder canoe, muskrat, and (carbon?) Barlow! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I discovered that my spreadsheet containing my rotation schedule, knife category lists, mailing addresses of BF members, and so on also contains a page I had forgotten that was an inventory of my earliest knives bought back in 2014 and 2015, including a column for prices of knives for which I can no longer locate receipts. So I now can participate in this thread for a few more weeks! :):thumbsup:

Back in April 2014, I bought my first Rough Riders, a set of 12 different patterns all in amber jigged bone. If I figure that each knife in the set was purchased for 1/12 of the total price, that makes the cost of each knife $7.50. I'm going to post one of these knives for each of the next 12 weeks, whether you like it or not! 🤓 😁 Here's a thrifty Barlow from that first RR set:
View attachment 1655910

- GT

Yep the it's the Classic Carbon II, be careful tho then pen blade sat a little high and blocked the nail nick to the main blade. Filed it down a bit and managed to get it where the main blade can be opened and still get to the pen blade.

Yep the it's the Classic Carbon II, be careful tho then pen blade sat a little high and blocked the nail nick to the main blade. Filed it down a bit and managed to get it where the main blade can be opened and still get to the pen blade.
Thanks for the confirmation on the carbon steel. I remember reading the discussion about the blade configuration of your Barlow, and I'm glad you figured out a way to make the blades more accessible. :cool::thumbsup:

I’ve got a front row seat Gary! 😎👍
Could be messy, Todd; bring a raincoat! 🤓 🤓

- GT

I have about a dozen RR Barlows. Pretty knives. Now if I can only figure out how to open them! Some with pull strength about 20; others can't get to nail nicks. And why does the Big Mountain store insist on those cursed match striker nail nicks? Haven't been able to get "strike anywhere" matches in US for years.
Rich

Could be messy, Todd; bring a raincoat! 🤓 🤓

- GT
If that’s the case we may have to start calling you “Gallagher Gary.” 🤣👍
I have about a dozen RR Barlows. Pretty knives. Now if I can only figure out how to open them! Some with pull strength about 20; others can't get to nail nicks. And why does the Big Mountain store insist on those cursed match striker nail nicks? Haven't been able to get "strike anywhere" matches in US for years.
Rich
I agree about the match striker nail nicks Rich, lose’em RR. I can actually get them open without too much trouble, but I just don’t like a secondary blades in front of main. So, I like collecting them, but I rarely carry them. A single blade version would solve both of our issues Rich, they’re a little chubby anyway. 😄👍

Haven't been able to get "strike anywhere" matches in US for years.
That big South American jungle or river site has them. :)

I still need to get a Marbles match safe (they have them, too) before I order any, though.

Rough Rider scout from a set of 12 amber jigged bone RRs I bought in April 2014. 12 different patterns for under $8 per knife, those were the days! I wish RR still sold those "sampler sets". I gave away this scout sometime, but replaced it with a red jigged bone version (that I also gave away and replaced with another red RR scout).
camper.closed.jpg

- GT

Imperial Ireland.
I used to see these all the time, but not so much lately. I guess they all got used hard.
G0AV6mi.jpg

Continuing with fond memories of my first Rough Riders, a set of 12 patterns in amber jigged bone that I bought for $7.50 per knife in 2014. This week is #3 from the set, a canoe. It's the first canoe pattern I ever held in my hand, and it changed my life! 😲 🤓
View attachment 1664641

- GT
I really like that shield on that knife Gary, makes an attractive combo. 😎👍

Back