Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Don't you hate it when you easily retrieve something from exactly where it's supposed to be, but you put it down for just a second and it disappears, and when you finally find it you put it down for just a second and it disappears again? I found it again, under something in the drawer out of which I'd gotten something else.
Colonial.
x4O9OeN.jpg

For you darn kids nowadays with your computers, that's a beverage can opener from the days before pull-tabs, on the edge side of the guard.
That can/bottle opener guard is very clever. I've never seen that before (I've seen that kind of can opener of course, I remember when juice came in big cans and you had to punch two holes in the top to pour) Did it come that way standard, or did you modify it?

That can/bottle opener guard is very clever. I've never seen that before (I've seen that kind of can opener of course, I remember when juice came in big cans and you had to punch two holes in the top to pour) Did it come that way standard, or did you modify it?
It came like that, that's why I had to buy it. A true fisherman's knife.
I'm surprised it didn't catch on. This is the only one I've ever seen.

There is inexpensive; then there is cheap, and then there is ... free!
This is (if memory serves) a give-away item for signing up at membership store Fedco. Not sure how wide-spread these places were, possibly only SoCal, but this is what you got for signing up.
IVeKFAF.jpg

uMwe5jB.jpg

K6JM2L6.jpg
There sure were a lot of emulators of Bassett's Trim Trio. Good and handy little knives.
I've been carrying this green river 2212 since I completed it last week.
$12 for the blade from jantz then it was just a matter of a little time and some materials I had on hand.
I thought you were silly not to use the holes you were given, but that looks extra cool. Nice job drilling them symmetrically.

There sure were a lot of emulators of Bassett's Trim Trio. Good and handy little knives.

I thought you were silly not to use the holes you were given, but that looks extra cool. Nice job drilling them symmetrically.
Thanks.
Surprisingly I actually just eyeballed it.
If I measured they're probably off a bit but that's probably the only way to tell.

What a hectic week; I completely missed Thrifty Thursday! o_O:eek:
I'll stick this in here a day late, since I was only planning a continuation of my post from last week's Thrifty Thursday.

Back in 2014, I ordered a pair of Victorinox SAKs from Menard's (I think) for $20. I'll consider them to be $10 each so they fit my definition of "thrifty" and post one today and one next week. One of them (the one in which I was most interested) was a Tinker (the other was a Classic SD):
View attachment 1646242

- GT
Here's the Vic Classic from my Menard's SAK pair:
classic.mark.open.jpg

- GT

Back