Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

I really like that shield on that knife Gary, makes an attractive combo. 😎👍
Thanks, Todd. :) The canoe has such a symmetrical shape that I'd have predicted that a shield that's not centered wouldn't look right, but I actually like that shield, including placement.

The 4th of my set of 12 Rough Rider patterns that I'll show in this thread is a 4-blade congress, 3 5/8" closed. I thought I was going to like the congress pattern, with 4 blades of various shapes, but when I actually got one and tried carrying it, it turned out there was just no "spark" there. :rolleyes:
congress.open.jpg

- GT

I have five of these for sure, two clips and three spears. I think I also have a red-handled spear with the enamel still intact, probably on the kitchen table.
I like the spears better, because the clips are one-sided sabers, and I don't like that, no matter how many non-thrifty makers have done it on pupose.
bEhzuNm.jpg

Made to be thrifty, and I won't spend more than $5 on one now.

Imperial Ireland.
I used to see these all the time, but not so much lately. I guess they all got used hard.
G0AV6mi.jpg
Very nice. It disappoints me when a punch stockman loses the sheepsfoot instead of the spay.
I don't know though, I still see plenty of the shell-handles, and I doubt anybody babied those.
[edited to remove appalling word order]

Last edited:
Very nice. It disappoints me when they replace the sheepsfoot with a punch instead of the spay.
I don't know though, I still see plenty of the shell-handles, and I doubt anybody babied those.
That's a good point; there are plenty of shell constructed knives floating around. Perhaps these all black ones weren't in production for as many years.
I think I'm partial to them because my mother, who has never been a "knife person", rather likes these, especially the tiny lockbacks.

7xaPgNw.jpg

I have five of these for sure, two clips and three spears. I think I also have a red-handled spear with the enamel still intact, probably on the kitchen table.
I like the spears better, because the clips are one-sided sabers, and I don't like that, no matter how many non-thrifty makers have done it on pupose.
bEhzuNm.jpg

Made to be thrifty, and I won't spend more than $5 on one now.
That spear point was my first knife, from my dad, when I was six. (1950). My mother ground off the edge and rounded the point on the sidewalk so I wouldn’t hurt myself. Never seen another one,thanks for posting.

That spear point was my first knife, from my dad, when I was six. (1950). My mother ground off the edge and rounded the point on the sidewalk so I wouldn’t hurt myself. Never seen another one,thanks for posting.
My very first knife was a tiny watch-chain knife that my dad ground the edge and point off of like that.
He took it away again anyway, because the first thing I did with it was to threaten my little sister. But all in good fun!

Grain Elevators gave out these Imperial shell knives by the dozen as appreciation for the farmers business. The elevators name was on the knife and as a boy I had many. Extremely thin and sharp carbon blades. If taken care of they lasted a long time, even if neglected, which many were they still served faithfully for years.

This purchase was driven by memories of carrying an Imperial two blade Jack identical to this one. Not mint but close and all for under $11.00 to my door :thumbsup:
uZViir.jpg

fHd122.jpg

Here's an old brass liner Alox Pioneer that a thrift store wanted $8.99 for, until I showed the manager the broken blade tip.
Alox Pioneer with broken tip Then he sold it for $1.99. After shaping and sharpening it on my belt sander, it looks like this. Below a Soldier for comparison. Lost about 1/4" of blade. Good glove box knife to go with my Leatherman Super Tool.

Back