Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Here's the 8th knife I'm posting from the set of 12 amber jigged bone Rough Riders I bought in 2014; I miss those days when you could buy an entire set of a dozen RRs with matching covers as a single order. This one is a full-sized trapper. I know that pattern is a very popular one, but I've never warmed up to it. (On the other hand, I'm very fond of a slimline trapper or a mini trapper.)
View attachment 1684036

- GT

I am fond of the single blade trapper pattern, with, clip point. Just do not like the look of the spey blade. I have a Case Slim line trapper in artificial jigged bone that I got for about $32.00, from an old country store near Asheville, NC. We found the store after driving around the curvy mountain roads seeing the sites, we needed gas and there the store was, with old glass display case too. Old wood floors and s musty smell. Sorry, I know, buy the knife and not the story, but I had a good time when I found it, was like a kid eyeing the penny candy jar.

I think this Sword Brand must have been an experiment in thriftiness by Camillus.
52ybfuN.jpg

Last edited:
I am fond of the single blade trapper pattern, with, clip point. Just do not like the look of the spey blade. I have a Case Slim line trapper in artificial jigged bone that I got for about $32.00, from an old country store near Asheville, NC. We found the store after driving around the curvy mountain roads seeing the sites, we needed gas and there the store was, with old glass display case too. Old wood floors and s musty smell. Sorry, I know, buy the knife and not the story, but I had a good time when I found it, was like a kid eyeing the penny candy jar.
Cool story about where you got your slimline trapper. :cool::thumbsup:
The Tractor Supply store I go to still has a "spinnable" display case for pocket knives that I check out whenever I go there, but it probably has more modern folders than it has Case and Chinese Old Timer traditional.

I think this Sword Brand must have been an experiment in thriftiness by Camillus.
52ybfuN.jpg
That reminds me of a Victorinox Pocket Pal, but I like your clip/sheep blade pairing a little more than the spear/pen that my Pocket Pals have.

- GT

That reminds me of a Victorinox Pocket Pal, but I like your clip/sheep blade pairing a little more than the spear/pen that my Pocket Pals have.
Unfortunately, the gawky 3 & 15/16 inch handle contains just a 2 & 5/8 inch main blade. If I look in the well, I don't see any wasted space; maybe they didn't want to shorten the sheepsfoot below 2".

As promised almost 2 months ago, here's yet another Rough Rider amber jigged bone pattern, one of a dozen assorted patterns with matching covers that were the first Rough Riders I ever touched. I was impressed, even though the price of the set came out to be $7.50 per knife. This one is the first sowbelly I ever saw in person, and I was smitten with the pattern from the first day I carried it up until today (and probably to infinity and beyond).
sowbelly.closed.jpg

- GT

As promised almost 2 months ago, here's yet another Rough Rider amber jigged bone pattern, one of a dozen assorted patterns with matching covers that were the first Rough Riders I ever touched. I was impressed, even though the price of the set came out to be $7.50 per knife. This one is the first sowbelly I ever saw in person, and I was smitten with the pattern from the first day I carried it up until today (and probably to infinity and beyond).
View attachment 1689241

- GT
A lot of color variations in that one Gary, very nice. 😎👍

A lot of color variations in that one Gary, very nice. 😎👍
Thanks, Todd. :) I agree with you on the coloration; it's maybe my best-looking example of RR's amber jigged bone, as well as being a pattern whose shape resonates with me!

- GT

Thanks, Todd. :) I agree with you on the coloration; it's maybe my best-looking example of RR's amber jigged bone, as well as being a pattern whose shape resonates with me!

- GT
That makes for a perfect combination. 😊

Back