Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

That's a cool knife style :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but I don't know the official name for it. Not a slipjoint/spring knife, not a friction folder, not a fixed blade, not a barrel knife, probably not what most people mean by "flipper". I have one, but I often forget about it because it lives in a pocket of my winter parka. It's not even on my rotation schedule. Advertising knife from an old college friend. I'm going to use it as my Thrifty Thursday contribution this week, since I'm running out of knives I consider thrifty that I haven't already posted in this thread.
back.halfway.jpg
front.full.jpg

- GT

I bought this cheap from an antique mall vendor who didn't appreciate it, but that doesn't fit out topic.
cUES9af.jpg

But it should have been thrifty compared to this near relative that has fancier material, a lock, and an additional spring:
3KYHTNW.jpg

7Yd3dA9.jpg

sDiTQxc.jpg

Last edited:
That's a cool knife style :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but I don't know the official name for it. Not a slipjoint/spring knife, not a friction folder, not a fixed blade, not a barrel knife, probably not what most people mean by "flipper". I have one, but I often forget about it because it lives in a pocket of my winter parka. It's not even on my rotation schedule. Advertising knife from an old college friend. I'm going to use it as my Thrifty Thursday contribution this week, since I'm running out of knives I consider thrifty that I haven't already posted in this thread.
View attachment 1707243
View attachment 1707245

- GT
I've always known them as the Flip-it knife.
I had a worn out Flip-It that was a promo for a local feed store that was in the desk I inherited from my grandmother, but I don't think I ever had a useable example.

I've always known them as the Flip-it knife.
I had a worn out Flip-It that was a promo for a local feed store that was in the desk I inherited from my grandmother, but I don't think I ever had a useable example.
Thanks for the name!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
As soon as I read your post, I googled "flip-it knife", and there they were. At one dealer, they were out of stock, but the price had been $2.99. On Amazon, they also were unavailable, but it looked like the price may have been $17.95! 😲o_O

- GT

View attachment 1707243
View attachment 1707245

- GT

I got a couple of those from my grandma after she passed back in 2003. I don’t know where they ended up. I was not very organized with my knives back then when I was a kid.

Back