Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

BKGD2ae.jpg

About 7 years ago, a guy with a table at the local gun and knife show had a section of the table filled with a couple dozen canoes similar to this one I got. They were all in clam packs, but he had cut off the tops so you could pull out each knife and examine it. $10 - I call that a bargain, the best I ever had!
remington.canoe.mark.open.jpg

- GT

About 7 years ago, a guy with a table at the local gun and knife show had a section of the table filled with a couple dozen canoes similar to this one I got. They were all in clam packs, but he had cut off the tops so you could pull out each knife and examine it. $10 - I call that a bargain, the best I ever had!
View attachment 1720355

- GT
Who are you…who who…who who…I really want to know. 😁

Todd, I'm a substitute for another guy. I look pretty tall, but my heels are high.
(But with those high heels, I can see for miles and miles.)

- GT
I hope you’re telling the truth Gary because I won’t get fooled again. 😉👍

Don’t really know anything about this one; can’t make the tang stamp out. M. something?? & Co. New York, but it was thrifty. And for some reason I really enjoy it.

JPlcE4v.jpg
It looks like "M.Pressner & Co." I tried some Google-fu, and that may have been a toy and novelty company. Very cool, does the compass still work?
Where was that made?

It looks like "M.Pressner & Co." I tried some Google-fu, and that may have been a toy and novelty company. Very cool, does the compass still work?

Where was that made?
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I think it is M. Presser & Co. I looked it up, and there’s a couple fixed blades on the big auction site with the same compass in the handle and the same stamp. As far as the compass, the needle still moves, but I wonder if it actually ever did “work” in such close proximity to all the steel.

That's a really nice Sabre scout knife, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Here's a knife I bought NIB at the first local gun & knife show I attended. Soon thereafter, I decided it was a bigger knife than I wanted to carry, and it became a prize in a GAW I hosted here back in July 2015. I now wish I still had it, since I loved the gunstock checked covers, my tastes have changed so I don't think a knife that size is too big at all, and when it comes to copperheads, the models with 2 big blades are better than those with a big/small blade combo IMHO. :rolleyes: 🤓
copperhead.closed.jpg

- GT

This thrifty knife is one of my favorites. I call it the head scratcher. No stamp on the blade, just an etch on the wood that is already faded and hard to read. One day in the future when my daughter sells my knives for a buck each at a garage sale, some lucky bloke is going to buy this and wonder what kind of weird knife he just bought.

50163201797_3a0479e8fc_c.jpg

This thrifty knife is one of my favorites. I call it the head scratcher. No stamp on the blade, just an etch on the wood that is already faded and hard to read. One day in the future when my daughter sells my knives for a buck each at a garage sale, some lucky bloke is going to buy this and wonder what kind of weird knife he just bought.

Really like that Aitor, Christian! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I don't think I've posted this one in this thread. It's a pre-owned Victorinox Recruit I bought at an antique store in Hessel, MI in August 2014 for under $8:
recruit.open.jpg

- GT

Thanks GT. I know you have a similar knife. Although the leaf shape blade isn't my preference aesthetically, for a using knife I find none better.

Back