Tidings and the return of Schatt and Morgan?

My latest S&M’s that arrived today...
82b29CT.jpg
Wow!..... Those 2 are gorgeous!!.... Nice acquisition!!

The one on the left just got here. Nice duo...
vmi0gvo.jpg

Very nice!!.... It almost looks familiar!!.... I got one in the mail today too.... It is very similar to the GEC 97...... It is as nice as any of them I own..... Wonderful walk and talk.... It has a pull that should satisfy any of the 97 detractors...... Flush spring open and closed; slightly proud in half stop..... Perfect centering.....
20201022_163849.jpg 20201022_163932.jpg

Very nice!!.... It almost looks familiar!!.... I got one in the mail today too.... It is very similar to the GEC 97...... It is as nice as any of them I own..... Wonderful walk and talk.... It has a pull that should satisfy any of the 97 detractors...... Flush spring open and closed; slightly proud in half stop..... Perfect centering.....
View attachment 1441905 View attachment 1441906
That’s a gorgeous knife! I really like the S&M F&W aesthetic. Use it well! :thumbsup:

My collection of Schatt and Morgan is a hodge podge compared to yours..... I like your focus on the File and Wire..... This shot is as of today..... I have a couple more inbound over the next couple days....View attachment 1442541
That’s a stellar collection! Wonderful variety! :)

I have a mammoth office knife incoming and then I’ll post my non F&W. :thumbsup:

I saw this Schatt and Morgan on the big auction site..... I fell in love with the jigging and color..... It is a 2004 model 042 213...... The primary blade pushes on both back springs and the secondary pushes on one...... It's a very well built knife...... It reminds me of a 1960 Cadillac I once owned..... Big, shiny and eye catching!
20201028_162435.jpg 20201028_162306.jpg 20201028_162410.jpg

I don't think the 440C is significantly harder to work with than 1095; although they do need to do a bit of a re-tool. Now D2 or the harder steels make a big difference; and the defect loss is a good bit higher according to a conversation I had with Bill at one point in the past. The demand is simply not there for a lot of 440C. It is talked about a lot; and wished for just as much. But when it is actually produced at GEC if the quantity is significant - they do not sell nearly as well. There are some small runs that have been snapped up quickly since it has become few and far between. But back when GEC was producing SS knives in quantity; they were sitting on shelves for months while the 1095 were moving around them. Some will disagree; but when you are a small dealer and your inventory is required to turn over - you have a fairly good understanding of what sits and what does not. If they made a run here and there - they would be applauded and the knives would surely sell quickly. But the latter is true of 1095; so why lose time at the factory to change over for SS when there are more people complaining about short runs than stainless steels?

Regarding S&M itself; I still have outstanding patterns in 420HC (their keystone steel prior to DFC) on the shelves that I purchased over a decade ago.
I know you do, I bought one a couple of weeks ago and more than likely will buy another in the coming weeks. BTW, thank you for a great service, keep up the great work.
As for the NuS&M, the best of luck in the future, I'm waiting for the 2021 release.

Last edited:
Very nice!

A few months ago I was whittling down my next knife list and that green S&M was on it. But, I didn't know enough to know if it was stainless and it wasn't listed on the site*. So, since most things "traditional" are carbon, I assumed these were too and passed. I want stainless in my pocket knives. I bought a lionSTEEL knife from @knifeswapper instead.

So all this comes up and Mike mentions having had stainless S&M models in his inventory for a decade. I send him a message all like, "hey Mike, if you woulda put in the knife description that it was stainless, I woulda bought one a while back."

Mike sends me back a polite message saying he doesn't understand because he thinks he did list that on all of them.

I'm all, "nah, I checked again today and it don't say..."

Then just to be suuuuuuuper sure I pulled up the listing again, and there it was. *Steel: Stainless.

:oops:

My eyes just never saw it. Can I throw down the over the over 50 card? :D

If Mr. Cooper produces a stainless knife in a pattern I like that is in keeping with what Mike has listed on his site, especially that 4 blade sowbelly, I will definitely want one.

Also, folks should go to: https://www.collectorknives.net/product-category/schatt-morgan-knives/ and buy up these beauts. :)
I agree with going to CK, one of the first sites I look at when my PayPal gets an itch, but for the love of God, don't buy all the S&M's leave one (or two) for me! I got the red one, I need one more red and a green!

A dealer with a historically close relationship with Queen / Schatt & Morgan posted some pictures on social media today (I don't believe they're a paid member here so I can't say who or link to the post, so I'm posting the pictures)

8Mm6RVkl.jpg

fvbuxskl.jpg

Y3L9h0yl.jpg

Urozwxul.jpg

GPRzl3Al.jpg

The dealer said that Gilbert Cooper said they might be shipping to dealers in February. I've tried to talk with Mr. Cooper to do an article or interview to put the word out from the source, but it's proving pretty difficult.

I really hate to be negative but... these pictures don't inspire confidence in my opinion. The grinds on the fixed blades don't look very crisp, uniform, etc.

While I'm not wowed by the folders, they don't seem as bad. Hopefully they're all test pieces or look worse in the lighting than in person.

A dealer with a historically close relationship with Queen / Schatt & Morgan posted some pictures on social media today (I don't believe they're a paid member here so I can't say who or link to the post, so I'm posting the pictures)

8Mm6RVkl.jpg

fvbuxskl.jpg

Y3L9h0yl.jpg

Urozwxul.jpg

GPRzl3Al.jpg

The dealer said that Gilbert Cooper said they might be shipping to dealers in February. I've tried to talk with Mr. Cooper to do an article or interview to put the word out from the source, but it's proving pretty difficult.

I really hate to be negative but... these pictures don't inspire confidence in my opinion. The grinds on the fixed blades don't look very crisp, uniform, etc.

While I'm not wowed by the folders, they don't seem as bad. Hopefully they're all test pieces or look worse in the lighting than in person.

I don't know... The grind on that Teardrop folder with the light covers looks pretty awful.

Also, it looks as if they did some further grinding after the pulls were stamped/milled.

(Could just be the quality of pics too)

I don't know... The grind on that Teardrop folder with the light covers looks pretty awful.

Also, it looks as if they did some further grinding after the pulls were stamped/milled.

(Could just be the quality of pics too)

:eek:
I hope they are just test pieces like you say cause these pics look horrendous especially that one arm.

To be honest? I agree. I just want to stay hopeful.

I was a bit disappointed with these pictures. The red jigged bone teardrop they used in the picture to announce the reformation of S&M looked promising. These not so much. I love the barlow, but not a big fan of the one armed blade and the hatchet shields are not my thing. I guess I would have liked to see them come out of the gate with some of the classics.

Back