Traditional Knife and Gun Picture Thread

Next week I’m heading into the Okanogan wilderness for a fly fishing trip. These will be my companions.

fTHgbhN.jpg

Last edited:
Markeologist is correct, that is a GALCO holster.

I use a Bianchi Lawman for my Super Blackhawk (pictured somewhere above) which is more like a Tom Threepersons-style holster with the trigger guard fully exposed. Its been a wonderful holster, carried a number of times in Alaska where the brush is thick and the bears are big.

Wild hogs got into my garden, so I guess it’s time to restock the freezer. I have decided to use this custom Thompson encore and I think I will take a long this farmer Jack from GEC, I have found it to be extremely useful once an animal is down.

F401B2C6-EE80-4E82-98A5-0B3EEB99FCF5.jpeg 72E2E815-C7AB-44DC-8FA9-E1B24D34C011.jpeg
Here is the rest of my encore pistol set up, which fits nicely in this weatherproof guitar case, with all four barrels three receivers and three sets of pistol stocks.
The barrels are 22-250,6.8SPC,270 and 410/45LC.

Wild hogs got into my garden, so I guess it’s time to restock the freezer. I have decided to use this custom Thompson encore and I think I will take a long this farmer Jack from GEC, I have found it to be extremely useful once an animal is down.

View attachment 1382395 View attachment 1382396
Here is the rest of my encore pistol set up, which fits nicely in this weatherproof guitar case, with all four barrels three receivers and three sets of pistol stocks.
The barrels are 22-250,6.8SPC,270 and 410/45LC.
Very cool arsenal.

My grandfather was the first of three generations to be a master machinist and gunsmith in my family. This was an old Smith in Weston which he blew apart in the 60s testing some handloads. He rebuilt the gun by fixing the frame retooling the cylinder Pawl and stop making a new cylinder and sleeving the barrel. When he was done he had converted it to an 8 shot 22 LR.Unfortunately the gun is not very accurate so all I use it for his shooting 22 shot shells at wasps on my porch, for which it is excellent. While I have several guns that he worked on that old timer Stockman is the only knife I ever saw him with, I feel honored to have ended up with it. That knife has not been sharpened since his passing yet it is still the keenest edge I own.
5B479E50-B416-429D-AEE6-2F0A6275523D.jpeg 1D3978CF-920F-45B9-ACCE-373A5053B475.jpeg 44C01B87-EAF8-4967-99D1-B5976A71CA79.jpeg

My grandfather was the first of three generations to be a master machinist and gunsmith in my family. This was an old Smith in Weston which he blew apart in the 60s testing some handloads. He rebuilt the gun by fixing the frame retooling the cylinder Pawl and stop making a new cylinder and sleeving the barrel. When he was done he had converted it to an 8 shot 22 LR.Unfortunately the gun is not very accurate so all I use it for his shooting 22 shot shells at wasps on my porch, for which it is excellent. While I have several guns that he worked on that old timer Stockman is the only knife I ever saw him with, I feel honored to have ended up with it. That knife has not been sharpened since his passing yet it is still the keenest edge I own.
View attachment 1412154 View attachment 1412155 View attachment 1412156

Your Grandad sounds a lot like my Grandad, always fiddling with guns to make them work one way or another:thumbsup:

Your Grandad sounds a lot like my Grandad, always fiddling with guns to make them work one way or another:thumbsup:

It is really a family tradition at this point.
Here is an old Ruger security six that had a damaged barrel. My father made a new barrel and some brass and walnut hardware to convert it to a rifle. I am not sure that it is strictly “legal” but it sure is fun to shoot.
The knife is a Chuck Garlits “Happy Jack” folder. My dad’s name was Jack so I had been giving him these knives as presents for several years before he passed, and that was his favorite.
16F81A3A-7AD3-4784-AA01-4A3A106C979F.jpeg 31D9DF18-99F9-46B1-AC86-18DCD33DDF97.jpeg 63AF220B-765D-4543-8BF4-75CED429EA2A.jpeg
98A02B20-B66A-41E4-80A6-C6716489A0C8.jpeg

Here is an old Ruger security six that had a damaged barrel. My father made a new barrel and some brass and walnut hardware to convert it to a rifle. I am not sure that it is strictly “legal” but it sure is fun to shoot.
The knife is a Chuck Garlits “Happy Jack” folder. My dad’s name was Jack so I had been giving him these knives as presents for several years before he passed, and that was his favorite.
View attachment 1412360 View attachment 1412361 View attachment 1412362
View attachment 1412367
Everything about this post is just cool! :cool: From the converted Security Six to the Happy Jack folder... interesting reading! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks!

NICE!
I have one about the same vintage, same barrel length. But mine came as a Bisley. I never could warm up to that configuration. I think my hands are just too small. It was always whacking my fingers. So, I ordered all the parts from Brownells, and converted it to the standard Vaquero style. Only difference is now it has a stainless steel grip frame instead of blued. And the entire main frame is now blued. The case coloring started to rust, and I asked Ruger to blue it. So they did. I didn't try to do a carbon grip frame and blue it. I just didn't think I had THAT much in me.

View attachment 1412360 View attachment 1412361 View attachment 1412362
View attachment 1412367

Unless there is some obscure state law, or the barrel is less than 16", that should be legal, if I'm not mistaken. You can't cut down a firearm that was originally built and sold as a rifle to make it a pistol, even if you whack off the butt stock. But you can go the other way.

Back