Trying to understand why, so let's discuss it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean why do some people think new is automatically better when old still gets the job done as well as anything ;)
I'm not trying to make any kind of statement with my traditional knives at all, just like I assume you're not trying to make some kind of statement with your " better " one handed folder.
My small traditional knives are merely as much as I need in a pocket knife.
I simply do not value the same things in a knife that you do, all the benefits you list are not things I'm concerned with at all.
Don't need much grip, my little knives don't break , don't fold on me, and my carbon steel doesn't rust on me.

Btw just because someone appreciates some modern technology or some old school technology does not mean they have to be 100% one way or the other.
I like the HD flat screen TV but I cannot stand smart TVs.
,Love led flashlights but hate having various modes, there are many areas where some modern technology Is fine but I have a limit to what I'll accept.

So are we actually discussing why knives transitioned from old designs to modern ones or just your personal preferences?

It is totally okay to love traditional knives. Whether they are made with modern machines and materials or antiques ones. Cool stuff. But that's a separate discussion isn't it?

So are we actually discussing why knives transitioned from old designs to modern ones or just your personal preferences?

It is totally okay to love traditional knives. Whether they are made with modern machines and materials or antiques ones. Cool stuff. But that's a separate discussion isn't it?

It was the first one, but I just felt the need to respond to him with his idea that traditional knives are for hipsters and that technology automatically makes everything indisputably better.
I'm probably way off base though.

At this point I pretty much have a much of an answer as I'm going to find especially when so many of the comments are just preferences.

Last edited:
So here is a real time example of why for general use, I prefer modern folders...

Wearing a t-shirt and shorts with no pockets. Garbage needs to go out along with some cardboard boxes for the recycle bin. Had some deliveries this week so the bin is fuller than normal and it's the end of the week so I need to break the boxes down.

On the way out, grab my Dragonfly 2 from my bowl and stuff it in my waist band.

Windy out so holding each box with one hand, retrieve the knife with the other, open, cut, repeat until done, then close and put back into my waist band.

Little girl and the young couple across the street are out. She loves flowers so before I go inside I pull out the D'fly, snip her off a tulip, knife back in waist band, and take it over to her.

That all would've been much more complicated with a traditional folder, of which there are several right near me as I type.

Last edited:
What is so great about a slip joint? I have owned several and they always did their job, but i like how the modern folders open and the steel they are using. To me, what ever floats your boat. I also like single actions, but I carry a glock.

Here are some pictures of a few that you may like OP (except for the Spyderco). I picked these up to send to a friend overseas.

i-tjWzN8L-XL.jpg

i-fP8cFNp-XL.jpg

You mean why do some people think new is automatically better when old still gets the job done as well as anything ;)
I'm not trying to make any kind of statement with my traditional knives at all, just like I assume you're not trying to make some kind of statement with your " better " one handed folder.
My small traditional knives are merely as much as I need in a pocket knife.
I simply do not value the same things in a knife that you do, all the benefits you list are not things I'm concerned with at all.
Don't need much grip, my little knives don't break , don't fold on me, and my carbon steel doesn't rust on me.

Btw just because someone appreciates some modern technology or some old school technology does not mean they have to be 100% one way or the other.
I like the HD flat screen TV but I cannot stand smart TVs.
,Love led flashlights but hate having various modes, there are many areas where some modern technology Is fine but I have a limit to what I'll accept.
What is your point then? You can see that i have all sorts of knives. Modern ones and traditional ones. And even modern knives made with old carbon steels and handle materials or traditional slip joints in super steels and Titanium.

If someone likes old knives that's fine and there's a large community here that feels the same way. But you seem to need to go a bit further and run down and throw shade at anyone who's not fake living their life like they were in the 1940s. It's fine if you don't like anything current but as soon as you start trying to side eye any members that do like newer stuff you'll get corrected.

I don't think that is what he said at all.
I'm not trying to make any kind of statement with my traditional knives at all,
If that is true then just go about using your knives as you normally would rather than frequently telling us how you don't need modern knives. I mean, we get it already.

I really like a multiple blade solution. Currently carrying my BF 2018 knife from Buck in CPM154. It's ok though not very comfortable in hand. Another option is the Lionsteel Warhorse though I'd far prefer a more traditional barlow main/pen blade configuration. Just have to hope there is one in the offing and that they will grind it thin. The Lionsteel Bestman is too blocky for my taste.

buck_4.jpg
I like my 2019 Forum knife. It is generally larger than what I carry now. You mentioned the LionSteel Bestman.... the two blade version is fairly blocky (chunky to me) but the one blade version is very slim in the pocket and a good edc. It looks blocky because it is fairly square (rectangular) looking but feels just fine in the hand.

I still think this was a great concept for a discussion here. What makes a knife better? You like it more I guess.... it fits your lifestyle. It mirrors your self image perhaps? It is really about personal preference. I would love to buy a new knife (that I like) and never have to sharpen it to maintain it's edge. Of course we have those steak knives they advertise on TV that are supposed to be like that.

I believe modern knives are generally better because they use better steel normally than most traditional knives. But I still prefer traditional knives more often than not and I don't mind sharpening them. I just don't want to have to sharpen them mid way though field dressing a deer....

Most modern knives have a lock which makes a lot of people more comfortable using them. One hand opening.... sure if you prefer that.

For me, overall, thinner blades rule the day.

Last edited:
When I was a teenager I had a cheap folder fail on me. Cut me damn near to the bone. So when I buy a folder I want over engineered for peace of mind. That ole once bitten twice shy thing.

I'm sorry if this hits any nerves or tweaks anyone's nose, but I'm of the opinion that tacticool blades are the realm of military larpers or kids. I have nothing against either, but both have questionable foresight in a daily usage scenario.

Saying that, I've fallen foul of this end of the knife bracket and while an Emerson Wave is appealing, or an OTF, they're honestly kind of unnecessary.

:) I don't have anything greatly against "traditionals " . That's what I grew up with .

But just not very exciting for me , either .

Sure , they cut stuff , and are functional for most uses if you're careful .

But vast improvements have been made . The best "moderns " are very nearly as strong and tough as a fixed blade . And as safe , even for hard use . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For me , they are also just more fun .

A hobby should be fun ! :p

I still think this was a great concept for a discussion here. What makes a knife better? You like it more I guess.... it fits your lifestyle. It mirrors your self image perhaps? It is really about personal preference. I would love to buy a new knife (that I like) and never have to sharpen it to maintain it's edge. Of course we have those steak knives they advertise on TV that are supposed to be like that.

I believe modern knives are generally better because they use better steel normally than most traditional knives. But I still prefer traditional knives more often than not and I don't mind sharpening them. I just don't want to have to sharpen them mid way though field dressing a deer....

Most modern knives have a lock which makes a lot of people more comfortable using them. One hand opening.... sure if you prefer that.

For me, overall, thinner blades rule the day.
Mirroring or more so constructing a persona sure seems to be the goal.

I use a knife for cutting so for me that's what I value in a knife.

Having something that resides in my pocket it doesn't need to project any type of image since it's in my pocket and out of sight. I don't need to deploy a modern folder and have someone gasp at my obvious martial prowess or slyly pull out an old timey blade and have people give me the thumbs up because I surely belong in a Hallmark special about a man you can depend on.

I just need a knife to cut stuff not to broadcast who I am. Honestly to me that would be the core of traditional knife user; cutting stuff.

Mirroring or more so constructing a persona sure seems to be the goal.

I use a knife for cutting so for me that's what I value in a knife.

Having something that resides in my pocket it doesn't need to project any type of image since it's in my pocket and out of sight. I don't need to deploy a modern folder and have someone gasp at my obvious martial prowess or slyly pull out an old timey blade and have people give me the thumbs up because I surely belong in a Hallmark special about a man you can depend on.

I just need a knife to cut stuff not to broadcast who I am. Honestly to me that would be the core of traditional knife user; cutting stuff.
;) Sure , you barely care at all ...except almost 16,000 posts ! :rolleyes:

What's fun for me to think about is that "old" "traditional" folders were modern folders at one point
When they first came out there were little features and things that made them "fancy new stuff"
A lot of dudes super caught up on certain "traditional" folders being the best seems like being real strictly Amish where
a certain point in the natural progression of a technology seems to be perfect amount of tech. for them and anything more is redundant and sinful.

My "tribal leaders" permit the carry of whatever the hell I want and if it's too big or scary looking I throw it in my bag and call it a duct knife.:D:cool:
OTFs are also super fun. I would definitely pay $300+ dollars to have fun repeatedly. OTFs last a lot longer than a lot of other things I've spent $300 on to have fun. Useful too if I have to open a box, cut a loose string, pick my nails, or wire and duct a 2500 sq.ft. house. ;)

I'll stand by the statement that those posts aren't about owning knives to make other people think I'm something I'm not.
Didn't mean to imply anything except that it might be about more than just cutting stuff .

Is for me anyway .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back