Two Cheezeburgerz and a large SNARK

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny SilverThorn. I was thinking it needed an extra inch or two for balance. I don't know much about swords except that I like them balanced within two or three inches of the guard and not over two pounds.

I think it looks just fine the way it is. You do not want a "tight" handle on something that big, especially if you want the option of holding with both hands.

Balance is going to depend mostly on how thick the steel is and how the blade is ground. And how you want it to perform... light and fast like a proper sword, or like a giant cleaver?

A full-to-the-center flat on both edges with full distal taper will remove half or more of the mass from the blade; obviously an untapered "sabre" grind on both edges won't remove nearly as much weight. On 1/8" stock that won't be very noticeable; if it's 3/8" stock it will make a huge difference. So the tang will have to be dealt with accordingly; drilled, tapered or both as the case may be.

I agree that anything over 2# is going to be a big pain in the wrists to use. Most comp cutters are around 20 oz. and full-size long swords seldom weighed much more than 3#...

Last edited:
Very nice 710!..

Now here are my OPINIONS......

For my uses i prefer swords only sharpened on 1 side though.. More like katanas and wakis than gladiuses. But that still looks like a sweet design!!

For a 2 handed anything i learned, from Dan, you want 8" or more of handle. That design has about the same amount of blade and handle as the 2 designs i drew up for swords.

I wish that Giedymin blade had about 3 more inches of handle so i could swing it with 2 hands easier.

James is right about not wanting a tight fit.. You need room for your hands to move some. if your hands are too tight on it it really limits your holding options.

James... Most of the comp cutters i seen were over 600 grams up to 750 grams or 22-25oz or a little more. Not just Dans either.. Mine on the other hand is too heavy for me, at over 800 grams. Actually mine was the heaviest blade there... And i was the lightest guy LMAO!!! But mine was designed more as a 2x4 derby knife. It use to be Dans practice and derby knife.. So we are are now discussing a lighter knife for me to compete with.

14959806581_dc79a54b68_n.jpg

I don't know how this is gonna come out but it will have double bevel and I'm gonna try to keep the 1/4" down the center.. the handle I'm gonna make for 2 handed swinging.. this is gonna be a bit of A challenge for me.. I've made a few choppers and I've always wanted to make a sword...

Good luck bud, im sure it will work out well!!

You look like your onto a good start with the design!!

Sitting at lunch, just ordered some saganaki and lamb souvlaki with some beets and red pepper dip...
Mythological lunch FTW!

On my way to retrieve the cat and kittens, 6 all together, from the spay/neuter clinic. I believe I should receive a nod for my restraint while hauling the little vermin almost an hour round trip, across several rivers, all without stopping to throw said cats in.

*nods* to Murph...

Thank you for being humane. Getting them fixed is a much smarter option than the nitwits who just dump 'em off somewhere to breed more and possibly spread disease.

Neko could of ate them kitties and that would of saved you the trip ;D

-Snark.

One of the guys i proxy knives for told me i could run some test on one of his knives and see how it handles... So i walked around earlier looking for some wood, found several nice logs by a train track not far from my house, they were just laying on the side of the road close to the tracks... SO i grabbed them.. Had to take a couple trips because a couple were rather big.

On the last trip a cop stops, asks me what im doing and i let him know i was just grabbing some wood off the side of the road and he asked me what for... So i told him .... Then he gets an attitude with me, first asking if i had any knives on me, then asking if he needs to search me.. I told him i had no knives on me and he could search me if he likes, he didnt but he was just an asshole all around, he told me i dont need to be taking wood of the side of the road :rolleyes: :confused: I asked him why not, if anything im helping clean it up, he says just dont do it.. He had no logical answer just wanting to be a douche.

SO i dropped the piece right back where i picked it up from, then he says dont just leave it there... I said well this is where i picked it up from, and he says well throw it off further away from the road... So i said "SO.. you want me to move it out the way, which is what i was doing originally, but i cant take it"... Its just a log on the side of the road what am i hurting...

Some cops are just ignorant.

That's funny SilverThorn. I was thinking it needed an extra inch or two for balance. I don't know much about swords except that I like them balanced within two or three inches of the guard and not over two pounds.

Thing is, if you look at the blade, WW's blade is 14 inches, the actual blade on JD's sword looks maybe a little more than that, not much. a Huge handle gives you options, but on a 15-16 inch blade a double hande seems like a bit much to me, especially if you do a taper. Just my thoughts. I would say however if you want/need a two hander, that Woody is on the money as far as making sure that the handle is large enough for proper use of both hands. I also prefer a single edge sword for anything longer that I would two hand, although I LOVE Gladius as well. It is a nice looking design though. Right now it looks like 16 inches of blade with 7 1/4 inches of handle ?

Last edited:
Silverthorns thoughts are sort of what I was also thinking. That handle looks like the size.of a hand and.a.half sword....which usually have a blade length of 36" or more.....I dont see much need for a full two handed grip on such a short blade. I think a few more inches of.blade (and.less of the handle) would make it more functional. I dont have much experience with swords but I'm trying to picture swinging a short machete with 2.hands and it just wouldn't feel right to me.....just my two pennies

On the last trip a cop stops, asks me what im doing and i let him know i was just grabbing some wood off the side of the road and he asked me what for... So i told him .... Then he gets an attitude with me, first asking if i had any knives on me, then asking if he needs to search me.. I told him i had no knives on me and he could search me if he likes, he didnt but he was just an asshole all around, he told me i dont need to be taking wood of the side of the road :rolleyes: :confused: I asked him why not, if anything im helping clean it up, he says just dont do it.. He had no logical answer just wanting to be a douche.

SO i dropped the piece right back where i picked it up from, then he says dont just leave it there... I said well this is where i picked it up from, and he says well throw it off further away from the road... So i said "SO.. you want me to move it out the way, which is what i was doing originally, but i cant take it"... Its just a log on the side of the road what am i hurting...

I had something like that happen to me a few days ago. I was riding the local skatepark (bmx) with a friend. There were a few skaters, who we're good friends with, in the park and us. After a while the people who "enforce park rules" started driving towards the park. By the time they got there our bikes were already out, so were we. We were respectful to them, but they weren't to us. After a few minutes of going back and forth with eachother they started to say that my friend and I were idiots and some other stuff along those lines.

Normally that wouldn't affect me much, but I just lost it and went off on the guy, Long story short, I'm "not allowed in that park anymore."

On my way to retrieve the cat and kittens, 6 all together, from the spay/neuter clinic. I believe I should receive a nod for my restraint while hauling the little vermin almost an hour round trip, across several rivers, all without stopping to throw said cats in.

6 cats? When did you turn into the creepy cat lady?

Trust me, the vermin sure as Hell ain't mine.

Making a few bucks breeding them for the local asian restaurants?

That short sword design looks pretty sweet 710

I hear the first wave of ZT 0562/CF's were released. Soo many knives on the want list... never enough money!

Neko could of ate them kitties and that would of saved you the trip ;D

-Snark.

One of the guys i proxy knives for told me i could run some test on one of his knives and see how it handles... So i walked around earlier looking for some wood, found several nice logs by a train track not far from my house, they were just laying on the side of the road close to the tracks... SO i grabbed them.. Had to take a couple trips because a couple were rather big.

Shift change was probably at 3 or 4 pm your time. That ignoramus is off duty now, so go snitch... uh, that is, do your civic good deed and go back to clean up the trash someone dumped. :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back