Vantage Pro S30V

Ordered on Saturday and already got my confirmation email and tracking#. Jeff is the man!!

This makes my third order in about a month and a half. Seems to be getting them out quicker each and every time. I bet if I ordered on a weekday it would ship the same day.

Has anyone else tried using the thumb hole as a bottle opener? I found out it works great. Just put the hole under the lip of the bottle (on the side that is opposite to you so you are pulling towards you) and pull fast and hard! My buddies were drinking and I opened four bottles in a row for them doing that. Oh, and I kept the blade folded in the handle when I did this for obvious reasons :eek:

My order was delivered this afternoon. Talk about great service, thanks Cutlery Shoppe!!!

First impression of the Vantage Pro is a very positive one. Rock solid lock-up, very nearly perfect centering on the blade, good feel in the hand, smooth action and hair poppin sharp. All for under $40. An excellent value!

Badhammer and Flash,

Thanks for the heads up on the cutlery shoppe-Almost bought 1 Buy-it-now on the bay for 44.99 plus shipping-saved a couple bucks on it(cut shoppe shipping pretty high) but most of all i figgered that the Cut shop had more inventory turnover and i would get a newer produced knife. I thought that to be and important variable based on some of the disappointing reviews from some formumers. Should have mine on Monday and I'll give a report.
Thanks again
Fritz

Badhammer and Flash,

Thanks for the heads up on the cutlery shoppe-Almost bought 1 Buy-it-now on the bay for 44.99 plus shipping-saved a couple bucks on it(cut shoppe shipping pretty high) but most of all i figgered that the Cut shop had more inventory turnover and i would get a newer produced knife. I thought that to be and important variable based on some of the disappointing reviews from some formumers. Should have mine on Monday and I'll give a report.
Thanks again
Fritz

You are right about the newer knife. Mine from him was dated 07/09/09.

Mater,
Thats great news. The seller on the bay had like 7-10 in stock and I've only seen them drop 1-2 knives since it got posted at that price and figgered they might be from an original stock up and have the problems discussed. Thanks for the good news.:thumbup:

Fritz

I got the 347 dated March 12th and am really happy with it! No problems encountered yet and don't expect any either. Very nice fit and finish, great useable design, and should be up to any task asked of it. Kinda thinking that it is truly a bargain for the 45-odd dollars expense!
Some other knives in the '09 line-up have caught my attentions too. Trying to do my part in helping Buck survive nicely profitable and healthy!

Dave

I got the 347 dated March 12th and am really happy with it! No problems encountered yet and don't expect any either. Very nice fit and finish, great useable design, and should be up to any task asked of it. Kinda thinking that it is truly a bargain for the 45-odd dollars expense!
Some other knives in the '09 line-up have caught my attentions too. Trying to do my part in helping Buck survive nicely profitable and healthy!

Dave

I also have one from March 12th. I haven't had any of the problems others have had. But... it wasn't perfect from the factory. About 3/8" of the tip was flat and not sharpened. Not a big deal just shows that QC may not be 100%. It is nice and sharp now and is a great user for the price. It is the 1st knife I have found that makes the Spyderco Native seam way over priced. $46 dollars for the s30v G-10 Vantage shipped is one heck of a deal. Makes the Native seam like it should cost about $30, not the same or higher.

Got mine yesterday-3 words... Looooooooo ooooooove it!!!!!! Locks up
perfect. Blade is off center to the left and near liner is only complaint. put
1/4 turn of torque into the top scale screw at the pivot and it centered but it tightened
the opening a little.

Would love to get this knife. Have the kinks been worked out as far as the liner lock goes.

Wanted to get a Buck Strider a while back and it also seemed to have the same general problem.

Would love to get this knife. Have the kinks been worked out as far as the liner lock goes.

Wanted to get a Buck Strider a while back and it also seemed to have the same general problem.

From what I've read the issues were with earlier models. I've not seen anyone post anything regarding recent production knives and mine is perfect.

+1 Bad-as stated, mine off center sligtly other than that it is perfect. Also as sharp as Bucks come right out of the box, this one is noticably more sharp. Just bumped rt side of my right pointer next to the finger nail and put a 1/2" slice.(tried to take a picture with my phone but it didnt send right)

I've handled the 13C26 version and it's a very well made knife.Build quality is really good.The steel liner lock the blade very securly - there's absolutely no blade play at all.
If it was the size of the 110 it would be even ncer ;)

I've handled the 13C26 version and it's a very well made knife.Build quality is really good.The steel liner lock the blade very securly - there's absolutely no blade play at all.
If it was the size of the 110 it would be even nicer ;)

Well Ive had my Pro for a few weeks now and have carried it and used it
almost exclusively. I had originally put a 1/4 turn on the pivot screw to center
the blade when closed. This has been 75% effective and blade has settled
to a place just rt of center looking at it from a tip up orientation(if knife was
open). That quarter turn in the pivot screw tightened the travel enough that I either have to hit the flipper just right and hard or hit the flipper and give a little wrist action and it locks tight with a snap-that has remained consistent since I tightened it. The frame lock started to lock up just left of center at
1st and has been moving to the right and now locks up rt of center when opened with a snap. If 2 handed open without a snap it locks center. It doesnt appear that it can move far enough right to compromise lock up, but I would like someone elses experience or opinion if that is possible.

Has anyone else bought one of these recently? Do the issues with lockup and blade angle seem to be fixed? I really want one, but I'll have to order online and won't be able to inspect the knife first, so should I go for it or keep holding out???

My suggestion is to go for it. Even if the blade isn't centered your looking at a pretty darn nice knife with S30v steel for under $40. It would have to just about fall apart when you opened the box for it to not be a good deal.

I don't have the Pro yet- but I do have the Avid and Select versions, and they both rock. I haven't been able to catch the Pro version at any of the online stores I frequent, but I will soon. I have a lot of knives- a lot of very expensive knives. I've been collecting for a long time, and I spend a lot of time fiddling with, using them, studying them, and writing about them. For me, Buck has nailed it with the Vantage series. The design is pitch-perfect, and the execution is spot-on. If the Vantage knives are an indication of the direction Buck is heading as a company, then that is very good news indeed.

I carry a Sebenza every day- but the Vantage Avid has kicked it out of my pocket several times. It's sitting on my desk right now- it's fast becoming one of my go-to users. My co-workers love it- it zips through carpet like it was soft cheese. The thing simply CUTS. The 13C26 has been holding a killer edge, too.
For a contemporary-featured knife, for the money, it doesn't get any better.

Edit: For the record, I have had no issues with the lockup on either of my Vantages. Both are rock solid. There is a bit of lateral blade play, but not much. No more than almost any other folder on the market (Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw etc.) It's not a Sebenza, but not many knives are.

Last edited:
Moonwilson, I'm glad to hear yours are holding up. Honestly, I'm pretty easy on my knives, but I'm also pretty picky. I saw the Select version at Dick's and I really liked it, but I'm a huge fan of G10 and I like the idea of the S30V steel. I think I'm just going to have to pull the trigger and do it. Thanks!

I am now the proud owner of 11 of these in all the different models and sizes. The Woodgrain and G10 are the best and the finish on the blade of those two looks the best in addition to being better steel of course. The large Select is a new EDC for me, and a great knife......

Back