Vantage Pro S30V

Really loved my Avid carrying it this week. You know, it occurs to me that the Tenacious and Vex are about the same size/weight/cost/lock as the Vantage Pro and Avid, but with Buck you get the flipper and thumbhole opening options, better blade steel, just as high a grade of handle material (in the Avid's case, you get handle material that is pretty darn unique compared to the competition), a better designed pocket clip, tip up carry (can't do that on the Vex) forever warranty, and its made right here in the USA. It's personal taste, but I like the looks of the Vantage series too, more distinctive than its competitors to my eye, especially the Avid version. :D

Last edited:
I was using a vantage-pro this weekend on a tougher-than-daily use task. (I needed to put an oil pan under a friend's car and she only had a bulk olive oil bucket which I had to cut down from 12+ inches so it would fit under her car. The bucket was a thick plastic.) She didn't think the knife would work, but when she saw it did she said "I should carry a knife like that." Hmm. Birthday coming up in a few months.

I'd like to get her a Vantage-Pro like the one she saw me using, but I don't want to give her one with a charcoal colored handle like my G-10 handle. For this woman I think a bright green, or red, or even a pink camo handle would work nicely. Could someone from Buck comment on whether or not there are plans to release the Vantage-Pro with different handle options? Colored ETPs or something else? Thanks.

I just received my first one today, the Vantage Pro. The jury's still out on it for me. It's not something I'm going to whip out and say "wow, look at this one", but it seems like it should make a good, everyday working knife.

I just received my first one today, the Vantage Pro. The jury's still out on it for me. It's not something I'm going to whip out and say "wow, look at this one", but it seems like it should make a good, everyday working knife.

It's a utility knife, IMO, Plumberdv, and a good one. It deserves a place in every toolbox and tackle box. No, it's not a showpiece but I don't think it was designed for that. It's simple, lightweight and it does the job when its needed. It's a worker, not a knife of leisure. :)

It's a utility knife, IMO, Plumberdv, and a good one. It deserves a place in every toolbox and tackle box. No, it's not a showpiece but I don't think it was designed for that. It's simple, lightweight and it does the job when its needed. It's a worker, not a knife of leisure. :)

IMHO, the dymondwood on the avid is a much much better looking scale and if you want a show piece, match that with the s30v and you may have it. I still say, scales should be available seperate to mix and match as you please.:thumbup:

I'd like to get her a Vantage-Pro like the one she saw me using, but I don't want to give her one with a charcoal colored handle like my G-10 handle. For this woman I think a bright green, or red, or even a pink camo handle would work nicely. Could someone from Buck comment on whether or not there are plans to release the Vantage-Pro with different handle options? Colored ETPs or something else? Thanks.
IMHO, the dymondwood on the avid is a much much better looking scale and if you want a show piece, match that with the s30v and you may have it. I still say, scales should be available seperate to mix and match as you please.:thumbup:

Perhaps something like the pattern in this woman's skirt on the
knife for the woman I'm thinking of :

IMHO, its quite a looker for a knife. I like the blade shape and the sharpness on my Pro.

I have no problems with the knife's looks. For me it's fine, though does not have the striking appearance of fine woods, stag, stones, etc. It's just that I would prefer to give a woman a knife with a handle that looks like something other than charcoal.

I agree it has a nice and functional blade shape. Mine proved itself well this past weekend for sharpness and edge retention.

I picked up an Avid and the smaller Select models since I prefer both flipper and thumb options for a one hand open and was concerned over the AO debates in some jurisdictions concerning models like my Sirus. Now I prefer the Avid in my edc rotation over the Sirus. Like having the option of opening fast or not with one hand over the Sirus and really prefer the dymondwood since I always have either a 301/309DW in my pocket.

Just learning about blade steels and aside from my D2 118, couple of 500/112 models in 440C/425M and the Alpha's in 154CM all the others I have are 420HC so an added plus was getting to try the Avid's 13C26. Of course after reading all the talk about the S30V and already being a fan of the Avid have a Pro to be delivered next week. Just can't beat the value across the board with the Vantage but especially the Pro. Now if a newbie like me can appreciate the difference with S30V I'm not sure but for the price no better way to find out.

Thinking about finally picking up one of these high value blades. Has Buck stepped up the quality control with the blade centering and liner lock problems?

Has Buck stepped up the quality control with the blade centering and liner lock problems?

Dunno. I have a couple Vantage Pros dated (on the box) in December with no centering or locking problems. I put one to hard use and that put it off center, but I was able to adjust it back to center with a small #T6 Torx driver. Didn't even need to touch up the blade with a stone.

No problems at all with the liner locks.

I'd say go ahead get one and maybe buy yourself a small #T6 hand driver for minor maintenence.

I've owned a small Vantage select knife for a month or so and have been following this thread now for a while. Bought a Vantage Pro with the S30V blade at the local Bass Pro Shop today. This one was made in December 2009, and the blade is centered perfectly and the liner lock is perfect for a new knife, will see how it wears in. The blade was very sharp out of the box, this is a lot of knife for the money. I gotta quit reading this forum, it's getting expensive!:eek:

Got a good deal, coupla dollars more than internet retail, at a local gun show on a Vantage pro. No problems with mine. Been carrying it since then, with a BHK boat tail scandi I picked up in trade at the show.

Well I finally wound up with one and it's kicked just about every other knife in its size out of my EDC. The deep carry clip is great and with smooth G-10 I can take it in and out of my pocket with no effort. The blade is off center but not touching the liners. Center of the lock bar is at about 40% over on the tang. Sharp as any S30V I've ever experience. For $45-50, I find it hard to believe there is a better deal out there.

My biggest surprise was how heavy this sucker is.

my Pro arrived last night. dated 01-07-10. blade a little off center but not touching as others have said, probably due to lock. sharp as expected.

only negative is their is a rub when the blade opens 45degrees or so until locked open. did the hot water trick with no change and no gunk coming out but will try again today. doesn't open nearly as slick as my Avid and much more gritty feeling. hoping it'll smooth out with some use and additional cleaning or loosing the screw a touch. if not i'll send it in for repair.

still prefer the looks/feel of the Avid but the Pro is a bargain for the materials involved.

Back