Vantage Pro S30V

C J, please, please put some S30V in the small sized one!:thumbup: I love a small knife and the 420 is fine but,... man o man that would be it for me.

+1:thumbup:
s30v and g-10 on the smaller size would be great!:D

Any opinions on the Vantage Pro?

For under $40 with an S30V blade it looks like a no brainer.

First of all I want to say I love my Buck 110's, especially my Charcoal Dymondwood handled one. I have three of them and a Buck 55. The only complaint I have about my Vantage Pro (Born on 11-6-09) is that I wish the liner edges had been finished. It appears they were roughly blanked and tumbled a bit, but the edges are pretty rough all around. Yes, it's only a $40-50 knife. Yes it has S30V steel with a Paul Bos heat treat. And yes it's a tough competitive environment. I understand all that. But I, and I expect many others, would pay a bit more for a better finish on the Vantage Pro. I don't want to void the warranty by taking it apart, but I'd love to put a fine sand and buff on the edges and make it look really finished. Other than this, I love the knife. If anyone else has already done this, I'd love to see the pics.

This vantage pro is one of my very favorites at the moment!! not to mention, I have it on good faith that CJ buck himself carries this very blade!!
Gotta be one of the best values out there right now as far as an S30V blade goes!!

Merry Christmas!
I have a couple experiences with these vantage knives recently that I would like to share.
I bought the smaller version with the 420 steel in Austin while out on a trip to see my kids-my daughter and I stopped in @ Academy Sports so I could pick up an inexpensive knife to use since I flew out with a small carry-on bag. I saw the small Buck with the rubber scales and it was one of the USA marked bubble packs for about $19 before tax. I fell in love with it and left it with 1 of my daughters so I can have it there next time I fly out.
Recently I was at a local Orange Co, Cal gun show and I saw the Vantage pro 347... a larger version of the one I had bought in Tx, but with S30V & a nice micarta handle for $70 something dollars. I thought to myself that the small inexpensive one was worth double what I paid for it and didn't hardly think twice about paying $70 something for the larger 347/S30V. I was sad to see I could have got it for nearly $30 less online, but then settled down happily as many of the comparable knives are well over $150-$180 with same steel. Mine locks really tight in opened position with no vertical or horizontal play and I recommend to anyone. I will also confess that I like the smaller size of the cheaper rubber handled 420 steel version. That particular knife actually had more attention to detail on all fit and finish. The larger 347 has cut up a couple banana trees that fell in my back yard and several cardboard boxes and I am pleased with it's edge holding-just hit it with a few passes on my ceramic rod for good measure once a week whether it needs it or not.
Best-Mike

Got my pro today for Christmas and it is awesome. It is perfectly centered and locks up great! I wish someone local carried them so I could have looked first, but this one is perfect so far.

Mine is dated 8/17/09 and still has the closed blade centering problem. Buck will fix them and send it back with a $25 gift certificate according to Nutnfancy on youtube. It isnt really a problem outside of annoying to look at.

OK, Ok. I finally just had to see what all the shouting is about and ordered one today although I'd promised myself I wouldn't.

Is the pocket clip removable?

Bought an Avid over the weekend in a local store as they had them on sale, got another in the mail today. The one from the store is dated October, the one I got today is dated December. Neither exhibit the blade centering problem AFTER I tightened the pivot screw. Blades still move super smooth, they just came with that pivot screw a little loose causing the blades to be off center, but once tightened the blades centered right up. Great lock up too, neither is too far over, but they both fully engage. Very nice knives for the money with that unique and beautiful Dymondwood handle :D Its my opinion, but the Avid looks better to me than the pro does.

They seem to be out of stock everywhere now. In fact Buck isnt even showing them on their site. Is that what Buck does when they have no stock-just remove the item from their site?? Seems a bit odd.

It's sharp out of the box but slightly off centered. But it flicks open likes it wants to fly away and it cuts like butter. Has a fairly solid feel and it absolutely superb to play with it and flick it open a 1000 times on a rainy evening on the couch

I've had the vantage pro for a couple months and love it. I think it is an extremely good value. I never knew what a flipper was until I got this knife and now I can't stop playing with it. The blade tip has also survived falling 10ft into a hardwood floor where it embedded itself about quarter inch. There are no signs of damage that i can tell. I ordered mine from Grand Prairie Knives. Its sharp, looks good, and is fairly inexpensive. Love the knife!

OK, Ok. I finally just had to see what all the shouting is about and ordered one today although I'd promised myself I wouldn't.

Is the pocket clip removable?

I knew you would Plum, sooner or later, you'd have to get one even though it goes against your grain to buy knives:p. I think you'll love it:thumbup: I'm like you, a lockback wood grain guy but Buck keeps puttin out these cool knives like the vantag and csar. Why fight it:D

BTW I'm not a pocket clip guy and I dont use the one on mine but it is finished very well, smooth and rounded, and is tight and doesnt get in the way-IMHO not worth removing, just ignoring.

Back