We were all new here once

It’s refreshing to see such humility, honest emotion, and courage of conviction on these posts.

I’m Austin. I also go by Coach Sherlock. (My middle name)

I run a small Strength and Conditioning company in Houston Texas and I like things that go “snikt”, “click”, or “boom”.

God
Family
State
Country

That’s my motto and I’m ok living and/or dying for that. Just a heads up. Thanks in advance for everyone’s input, I’m sure I will learn from you all.

New here.. hoping to grow my current collection and learn how to sharpen them properly.

Not enough, hah. Maybe someday I'll be able to contribute something!

Long time listener, first time caller....

I'll probably continue to lurk more than post as I prefer to read and use this forum as a searchable wiki for knife knowledge.

However, in recognition that a great forum like this one needs contributing members for content and support, please enjoy these obligatory photos of an old companion and a couple newer ones.

Thank you,

Vitto

6MKBLnE.jpg

HXytnVc.jpg

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

Hi and thank you! I really appreciate the spirit of what you are saying. I'm a knife newbie and ignoramus. At the same time I've been on the internet, since it was the www. I hope to learn from you, but I will be in the shadows "listening" looking for faq's before I truly engage. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Frank. G

I'm a f'n new guy here, but I've been lurking the boards anon for a while. I've gotten a lot of useful advice from you all, hopefully I can start contributing

Last edited:
I’m David from Tennessee. I’m a new guy here. I’ve always been a gun guy but today I took a Microtech UTX-70 standard as partial trade on a gun. Just lurking around seeing what everyone thinks about this knife. Take care.

I totally disagree I love to hang out in the shadows I'm counseling a newbie with a stupid question cuz I don't have nothing else to do with my life ! Not really I'm a newbie I just started and I haven't had the opportunity to get jumped on yet but I sure arm I will but I have thick skin and I like to read the knowledge that all of the members have on this form so be easy on me

Also new here, hello from Spain. Such a nice forum about knives!! Show yours guys :p ..also is here someone from US? I have a question

New here. My name is Justin. I live in Louisiana in the baton rouge area. I've always been a knife guy or one to always carry knife but I just recently got into collecting them. I think i have a problem, lol. It's only been about 2.5 months and I'm 20 knives deep,:eek: lol. Hope to learn some useful info here for future purchase and get to know other members.

Hello!
My name is Alek, from Poland. I'm into knives for a long time, but only recently I started getting less shitty "stainless steel" china ones ;)
this is my first post, but I was reading forum for some time. Great place for all knife enthusiasts!

Hello I'm Elias. I've been reading the forum for a while, lots of great people and great information. I've loved knives since my first SAK at age 4. Carried traditional folders up until high school and then got into modern folders from there. Currently have a small collection of about 8 or so I cycle through.

I'm new, starting to get into collecting knives again. About 10 years ago i bought a $300 microtech and it was lost/stolen after a couple weeks and i never got over it. :(

Back