We were all new here once

Another long time lurker from CT here... Been around knives since I was a 3rd grader hiding my swiss army in my backpack. Past 4-5 yrs have really gotten into the hobby and completely fallen in love with it. Always looking for more knowledge and hope I can help a few others with some of my own.

Greetings from Las Vegas, I carried a CKRT folder since 2007 and used it as my EDC and fishing knife. I switched to a HK folder I got from big 5 about 2 years ago and now I'm looking to get my first high quality knife. Looking for a benchmade or spyderco folder with a 3"/under blade. I am primarily a firearms guy.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

My experience is that those who have expert skills are usually very free with such and help newbies.

I do not sell many knives as my skill is not up to that standard although I have made a few and sold to mates and ALL the money has gone to MacMillan, I have not even taken out my costs.
I would like a pre loved 2x72, do not see many in the UK

Flagg.

Greetings from Pittsburgh,been a member since 2016, figure it's time to quit lurking. Not really sure what I can contribute,but I'm on here almost daily.

Greetings from Pittsburgh,been a member since 2016, figure it's time to quit lurking. Not really sure what I can contribute,but I'm on here almost daily.

just jump in most are pretty welcoming to new members ... tell us a little about the knives you have and or like ... pictures are always nice ...welcome

Last edited:
Old geezer here, simple man who likes practical knives I can use that will have a purpose in my life opposed to owning safe queens. Nothing beats carrying and holding a nice piece of steel that feels good in the hand and works reliably.

Hello, my name is Rich and I'm a knife addict. I've been collecting knives for twenty years now and don't want to stop. My favorite knives are custom made Bowies,even tho I own some production made fixed blades and folders. Well, glad to make your acquaintance.Good day.
I have two Bowies. I think they are both Case, but I'm not sure. I bought one during my Case collecting phase, my 2nd collecting phase. One has a straight handle and the other has a sort of sword loop on it. I was showing a Case Bowie to a cousin and wasn't paying close attention as I attempted to re-sheath the beautiful blade which I hadn't used. It wouldn't go in, so I exerted some pressure on the handle and discovered just how stupid it is to do anything with a knife without adequate attention: the knife went right through the heavy stitching and and the wrong part of the sheath (as I discovered that I tried to put the thing in backwards) and then it found one of my index fingers and I hit a small artery as well. It bled for quite a while and kind of hurt a bit. I put lots of pressure on it and cleaned it and alcohol and Neosporin, etc. and the blood flow slowed little by little. I think it took about three weeks to mostly heal. Now, a couple of months later, I can't really tell where the cut was exactly, so I am blessed and fortunate. Man did I learn a lesson there. That was inadvertent, sort of. A couple of days ago I tried to coax close (drop close with hand assist) a Benchmade Mini Crooked River with Rosewod scales (impregnated) and it wasn't moving so I gave it a good shake and nice cut line developed right behind the nail of my right ring finger. I'll have to get the Bowie's out and actually talk to you about them a bit. Thanks. AF

I'm new here. 2nd post as I just jumped in and answered a Bowie lover with a tale. Like anything else, I find that the more I know about knives, the more I want to know and I prefer EDC folders. Right now, as I just got into knives again for the 3rd time after abandoning them twice before, I find the mechanics of the machines are fascinating. Like other aspects of knowedge, it seems to be doubling at a fast rate. After basic sword and knife designs for a long time, the folding knives with locks were a huge safety improvement and now all the different ways knives open and close and stay open and closed are currently fascinating. Plus I like knives as art objects as well. I like sane discussion and courtesy as well. Mom, bless her soul, always told me that if it is not nice just don't say it at all. Also, just because it is on your mind doesn't mean you have to put it into print. Right? AF - That's for Alex Ford, retired law enforcement (37 yrs.)

Hi guys, first post here. My name is Caleb, I live in the Cincinnati Ohio area. I Have always like working with metal and welding. I got into knives a year and a half ago. I have since made a small forge, a half dozen knives and just finished making a 2X72 belt grinder. I hope to learn a lot from everyone and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to help somebody else out.

Hello everyone, I have always liked knives and swords.. anything with a blade actually. So now I'm just starting a collection. I plan to start making knives in my garage. I know I'll learn a lot from everyone here

Amazing. Very American. Not just satisfied with collecting and using, we have members who are making them. Reminds me of those two guys from San Diego who started in their garage and now have a regular business and collaborate or something like that with a subsidiary of WE Knives, I believe.

Hi guys, first post here. My name is Caleb, I live in the Cincinnati Ohio area. I Have always like working with metal and welding. I got into knives a year and a half ago. I have since made a small forge, a half dozen knives and just finished making a 2X72 belt grinder. I hope to learn a lot from everyone and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to help somebody else out.

Well done with ya forge mate, show us a couple of pictures, I would love one.;)

I joined this forum last June. I seem to spend a lot of time here and have learned more about knives that I ever thought I wanted to know. I bought knives that I liked knowing nothing about steels or what panels were made out of. I've bought knives after reading reports on the forum. A schf55 and a hunt n fish and a couple of Terrasteleka knives. All fixed blades where before I only had a couple of pocket folders. I've posted some questions, and some of my experiences and never had a negative response from anybody. I hear people selling knives but I wouldn't even know how to sell one, never have. Given several away to those I thought would like a knife but never sold one. This is a very good forum, far superior to several I visit. Keep up the good work.

Greetings from Washington! Been lurking forever, but figured it was time to finally join.

I've carried Victorinox knives since 1987 and they have always served me well. Useful, reasonably priced, easy to maintain, and public friendly. I've always appreciated knives, but wasn't really a serious "knife guy" or major collector. A few models that were carried daily, rotated occasionally, and used mildly. Somewhere around 2007 I ended up with a Swisstool Spirit and figured a basic folder would be a better match. After reading a bunch of threads and learning what I did, I ended up with a Benchmade Griptilian. Drop point, 154CM, and orange scales. Nothing fancy, but definitely what I considered my first "real" knife. Twelve years later I decided I wanted to try the sheepsfoot version. I like the blade profile, the thumb hole instead of a stud, and I wanted to try yellow scales for my daughter. Just in case, let's check blade forums and see if I should be considering something else. Pretty simple, right?

NOPE! A week later and I'm typing this as I open a pair Bradford fixed blades. A G3 wharnie and sheepsfoot, both in stonewashed Vanadis 4E, 3D black micarta scales, and kydex sheaths. They both look and feel as great as most have said. Still learning about Vanadis 4E.

Newly signed up here but have been reading for awhile and realize just how little I know. For now I am in search of the perfect fixed blade for belt carrying.

So far I am, in no particular order, leaning towards a Hinderer FXM, Bradford 3 or 4, Wilmont K25, or a ShadowTech Talon. Not an option to buy them all. Any suggestions of others to look out for are appreciated.

Tulsan; glad to be here. Love knives. Was a big follower of Charlie Mike RIP and love this forum. I want to contribute in some way. I have already learned a ton from BF.
You say you're from Tulsa? I'm in Inola just east of ya. I found BladeForums a few months ago when I decided I needed a 2x72 grinder to help with bit and spur makin. I'm starting to realize blademaking just kinda fits right in with the tools and some steel I already have. I've got my grinder now and I've been practicing grinding some bevels on mild steel trying to learn how things feel.

Hi everyone my name is Tyler, I am from the Southern California area. Been lurking for a while, found this place when doing research on some old knives my dad had. He recently passed away and I inherited some of his knives and I been hooked. Looking for my first serious fixed blade knife. Would like to support the knife makers on the forum so i'm looking to commission some work. Looking forward to opening myself up to all the info here.

Back