We were all new here once

Oh here’s my new Tsunehisa Gyuto 210mm made from super blue and steel clad that I got locally at a shop called Carbon in denver. Let’s see it I can post a pic.

4lLBZpV.jpg

nkd_tsunehisa_gyuto_210mm_was_in_a_rush_and_got

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome to BF.

Newb here.....

Been around knives for a while, but not collecting.....have a couple of Swiss Army and a few Kershaws my son accumulated while working at at a sporting goods store.

Been carrying some form of blade since my pup arrived, as out here in Western Canada we do get critters - coyote, deer, cougar and beer....plus always good to have a blade when out hiking with the dog.

my girl is called Kilo, and she’s almost 5yrs old....she is an Akita, and hopefully I’ve attached a pic below!......or not, as I can’t seem to figure that one out!

i am not new to collecting, as I am a watch guy, with many brands in my watch box, notably plenty of Gshocks for dog walking!

watches kind of led me to knives, as I see much cross over in the design and intricacies of knives....

I have a Benchmade incoming, as I dip my toes into the knife world, and look forward to learning much as I go......

What’s up everyone! Been in the restaurant industry my whole life. Unemployed due to covid still researching Japanese carbon chefs knives and YouTube auto played a pocket knife video. Think it was some Blade HQ vid. I was interested immediately. These were not the knives I had when I was a kid.

So for the past few weeks I’ve been falling down this wormhole from automatic knives to EDC gear. Got a nice Gyuto and it’s time to get folding knife. Just don’t know which one to with no matter how much I read.

thinking Kalishnikav and another entry level like a Rat 2 or something. That or just go all in with a
a mini Bughout. Help me.

Hi new member to the group here, thank you for all this interesting and helpful information...thank you that is except for what my lack of self control is now having on my wallet, lol. I’ve had a few knives in my lifetime although the ones I’ve bought were in retrospect nothing special the best a little folding Gerber I bought back in the mid 1970’s when I went to work for the fire department. I do have in tool boxes and drawers a number of old folding knives and hunting knives my grandfather gave me, or pieces acquired cleaning out relatives things over the years I’ll need to try and collect, really I’ve little idea what’s there, some old K-bars and things but nothing I remember as being special. The best one of the bunch found cleaning out old drawers in my grandfathers garage a WW1 trench knife.

My wife and I are both retired and recently relocated from California to Nevada, I belong to a number of prospecting clubs and spend a lot of time out in the desert and also I’ve been getting back into target shooting and am planning to do a little hunting. Figuring a new folding hunting knife was in order I headed of shopping on Amazon for a medium size something unusual and found myself swamped with beautiful pictures of very inexpensive knives, so I began wading through reviews and ultimately wound up here. I’ll spare you all the yada yada yada, you know exactly better than me but thankfully lots of good information found here and so far I’ve picked up a few decent fun little knives to play with and no doubt a few more will be coming my way in the future. I did buy my wife a little “Paul Lone Wolf limited Lawman” as a gift about 5 years ago although I knew nothing about it and only now just looked it up to see what it was I bought.

Fast forward and I’ve added a Benchmade Griptilian for hunting, a Kershaw Launch 8, a Pro Tech Halfbreed left hand, and two Kershaw Launch 12’s one for my wife and one for my son, the Kershaw and pro tech are in the mail. So far I’m very happy with the Benchmade the quality is great, it’s very sharp and the action is smooth, looking forward to getting the others.

The Trimurti dagger Is something my wife picked up from a friend over 30 years ago I’m not sure of the exact age or much about it I’m guessing late 19th early 20th century?

https://ibb.co/FWJznNr
https://ibb.co/8jC8dRD
https://ibb.co/hgHV6yW

Last edited:
Good evening dear fountain of wisdom inhabiters.
For years every time I had a question about making knives I passed on this forum. I made knives (and occasionally something more fantasy like) since I was a kid.
A few years ago I decided to get good at it and maybe one day to be good enough to start selling.
So far I am not fully there and for the same reason I was only a visitor meandering trough the vast amount of shared wisdom.
Im the most gratefull visitor ever.
I'm belgiumese so from time to time my English will sound like Google translate from Korean, I'll try to be as correct as possible and if somehow I sound rude, believe me, it's not intended that way.
I have a little knowledge of engineering and overall working with metals since that's been my principal occupation for the last 20 years but my knowledge of making blades is just a severely diluted form of what I read from Larrin Thomas and lots of other masters in here.

I already made 1 friend so it was worth finally joining!

Good evening dear fountain of wisdom inhabiters.
For years every time I had a question about making knives I passed on this forum. I made knives (and occasionally something more fantasy like) since I was a kid.
A few years ago I decided to get good at it and maybe one day to be good enough to start selling.
So far I am not fully there and for the same reason I was only a visitor meandering trough the vast amount of shared wisdom.
Im the most gratefull visitor ever.
I'm belgiumese so from time to time my English will sound like Google translate from Korean, I'll try to be as correct as possible and if somehow I sound rude, believe me, it's not intended that way.
I have a little knowledge of engineering and overall working with metals since that's been my principal occupation for the last 20 years but my knowledge of making blades is just a severely diluted form of what I read from Larrin Thomas and lots of other masters in here.

I already made 1 friend so it was worth finally joining!

Welcome Oliver. I'm glad you've chosen to join. Perhaps at some point you will post some of your work :thumbsup:.

And welcome to all of the other new members.

Welcome Oliver. I'm glad you've chosen to join. Perhaps at some point you will post some of your work :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the welcome sir. I would be happy to show some of my more or less ok work. Where would the appropriate place for that be?
I read that there's some reserve about displaying your work as a so far non paying member so I want to be sure I'm not breaking community rules. Either way I'm not ready to start selling yet.

Thanks for the welcome sir. I would be happy to show some of my more or less ok work. Where would the appropriate place for that be?
I read that there's some reserve about displaying your work as a so far non paying member so I want to be sure I'm not breaking community rules. Either way I'm not ready to start selling yet.

If you wanted you could start a thread in this, the "General Knife Discussion" forum, and just say something like "Hey, this is a knife I made. What do you think?".

And while you need to be a paid member to SELL knives here at Bladeforums, you don't need to be a paid member to just show them off. I'm not a paid member, and I've shown-off several knives. Showing-off knives is never frowned upon here at Bladeforums, quite the opposite, it's highly encouraged.

Last edited:
'Evenin all,well it is here,I'm a long absent member,due to life's vagaries -- no I wasn't residing at the "Governors Pleasure" :D,and now due to other interests I am selling my modest collection of Sharpfinger pattern knives plus a couple others,all USA except for a couple sharpfinger clones,one Condor from El Salvador and an Elk Ridge from yeh,China.
My interest in Schrade started in the '70s,yup last century,when I bought a Sharpfinger for dressing out rabbits n foxes,and slowly grew from being impressed with the quality.There are now Kissing Crane,Bear&Son,Camillus and Rigid.Several scrimshaws,a Guns n Ammo,K mart sporting and Les Schwab tyres combo pack,plus a GDOT which has been buffed to remove pitting and the blade engraving is almost invisible,damn.
I hope you all are surviving the CCP virus ok and avoiding the social turmoil making headlines this year,
Cheers from down here in AUS.

'Evenin all,well it is here,I'm a long absent member,due to life's vagaries -- no I wasn't residing at the "Governors Pleasure" :D,and now due to other interests I am selling my modest collection of Sharpfinger pattern knives plus a couple others,all USA except for a couple sharpfinger clones,one Condor from El Salvador and an Elk Ridge from yeh,China.
My interest in Schrade started in the '70s,yup last century,when I bought a Sharpfinger for dressing out rabbits n foxes,and slowly grew from being impressed with the quality.There are now Kissing Crane,Bear&Son,Camillus and Rigid.Several scrimshaws,a Guns n Ammo,K mart sporting and Les Schwab tyres combo pack,plus a GDOT which has been buffed to remove pitting and the blade engraving is almost invisible,damn.
I hope you all are surviving the CCP virus ok and avoiding the social turmoil making headlines this year,
Cheers from down here in AUS.

I use the Sharpfinger for dressing deer and hog here in USA. I love it dearly and my friends envy it, which is strange since they are very common and not very expensive. I've heard they are perfect for EDC, but I never have. Good luck selling your collection, I don't think you'll have too much trouble doing so.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.
Hi Richard can i ask you for some advice please? I purchased the Kai shun nagare 20cm chefs knife on knives and tools and on the site it says that it's sharpened at 12° but this is wrong as i tried to sharpen at exactly 12° and was getting nowhere. Do you know or if it is possible please that you could find out and let me know? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

Patrick Byrne.

Greetings all. I am a passionate technophile and coffee snob. Love computers and technology but would like to learn more about knives in general since my grandfather gifted me with two of his own.

YiSjObt.jpg

My knowledge around knives is not that great and would like to improve on it. The one on the left is a Bosman 094 and on the right a 'classic' nickel silver trim handmade.

You probably noticed the green on the right knife, I did clean it afterwards, still learning the ropes and how to probably store them away, hence why I joined this forum to broaden my knowledge hopefully.

Hey there. Another newbie here. I'm a 54 year old Washingtonian, a HS history teacher, outdoorsman, avid shooter, and beginning knife collector. I own close to fifty knives total, but just recently have begun to dig deeper into the finer aspects of the field. I was happy to discover this website and the wealth of knowledge contained inside. I'm looking forward to sharing my ignorance with others as I ask questions that most will see as basic and will appreciate your understanding as I work my way to greater knowledge of my latest pursuit. Nice to be here!

We'll, if you are still interested i posted (after some technical trouble) some pictures under 'latest knives'. It's just a prototype which still has to be tested in the field but at least at the moment I do believe in it.

Olivier, how often to people miss that second "I" in your name? You've probably just gotten used to it, eh? I think I did it, too, the first time I responded to you.

Greets Y'all! Rob Hall, otherwise known as the Toolshed on other forums. Knife owner is about all I can say at this time. I buy cheap (well, Buck 110 kinda cheap) and abuse them. I don't buy 'pretty ' and put it in a safe. I use them like they're meant to be used.

Anyway, my reason for joining was not to make anyone faint, haha. My son bought me an anvil for my birthday and he and I are planning on building a forge and trying our hands at knife making. I've been stealing info from this site for a few weeks and decided to just join.

I already have a bit of 'heat' knowledge from my aluminum casting foundry. I just started building the forced air propane burner, which will serve dual duty in the foundry, and my son just got a delivery of firebrick and castable refractory so hopefully we should have a forge built in about a week.

Back