Westinghouse Micarta, Ivorite, other vintage phenolics, etc.

I was lucky enough to score two 4x4' sheets of the reddish westinghouse micarta in 1/4" a couple years ago. Someone had them tossed them on the tops of pallets for stacking parts on!!

I'd love to try some of that butterscotch micarta. ;)

Last edited:
Awesome stuff Don!

I scored some very interesting old stock Catalin from Germany, I'll post pics when it arrives.

Yes, it's a plastic similar but not the same as Bakelite, from the same era. From what I've read, most jewelry/wearable items that are labeled "Bakelite" are actually Catalin. Vintage dice, and other things were made from it. I posted a link previous of a pipe made from catalin that shows the swirl of colors.

I'm guessing many of the collectors that have been around for a while will be less inclined toward the material, but I'm interested in trying new materials that aren't currently being used often for knife handles, especially if it's interesting and rare material that can't be easily acquired anymore. Maybe that's counterproductive, since the main reason I'm exploring these options is the increasing rarity of acquiring natural materials like ivory, pearl, and stag, but, it's the way some of us are wired.

For whatever reason, I find most of the modern materials like imitation pearl and kyrinite to be excessively tacky, but vintage phenolics and plastics are attractive.

I know Karl Andersen made some "bakelite" handled fixed blades, I'm a big fan of that, and maybe he'll chime in here.

Last edited:
Wanted to also mention that catalin and bakelite are extremely durable materials, and I think very suitable for knife use. Consider the Russians, et al. use of bakelite AK magazines, used in place of steel, and only replaced by polymer because of further improved performance, but primarily cheaper and easier construction.

Wanted to also mention that catalin and bakelite are extremely durable materials, and I think very suitable for knife use. Consider the Russians, et al. use of bakelite AK magazines, used in place of steel, and only replaced by polymer because of further improved performance, but primarily cheaper and easier construction.

Don't get me wrong but bakelite is low impact resistance material
j7amts.jpg

1129abm.jpg

Sure, as with all materials, it has it's particular concerns.

Most of the natural materials I work with are much less durable than the extremely tough phenolics and other synthetics. Believe me, ivory or pearl will chip just as quick when dropped on a square corner. Radiused edges, are less prone. There are tons of bakelite and catalin bracelets and bangles, as an example that are 100 years old now, that've been dropped dozens or more times without significant damage.

I'm not saying it's as tough as micarta, but I don't build knives to survive a direct nuclear assault, I leave that to other makers. We all have our priorities.

not sure where these came from (not the same seller). Maybe someone recognizes the part number on the white.

mic-old-1.jpg

mic-old-2.jpg

Why do people think they have "Westinghouse" micarta? :confused: Westinghouse has not made micarta for 20 years.

Many of the pieces of micarta shown in this thread are natural. Natural micarta is yellow when first made or cut. It gradually turns brown as it ages. You can get natural canvas, natural linen and natural paper micarta. Micarta type phenolic composites are currently made by a few companies. Norplex owns the Micarta® trademark.

I personally would not believe a piece of micarta was made by Westinghouse unless I could verify it was more than twenty years old. Appearance is not a good indicator of age. Caveat Emptor.

Chuck

Mine still had the sticker on it Chuck. : )
But you are of course correct.

Balelite was used in fishing reel gears for years. I buy old cooking skillets with bakelite handles to for scale material.

Why do people think they have "Westinghouse" micarta? :confused: Westinghouse has not made micarta for 20 years.

Many of the pieces of micarta shown in this thread are natural. Natural micarta is yellow when first made or cut. It gradually turns brown as it ages. You can get natural canvas, natural linen and natural paper micarta. Micarta type phenolic composites are currently made by a few companies. Norplex owns the Micarta® trademark.

I personally would not believe a piece of micarta was made by Westinghouse unless I could verify it was more than twenty years old. Appearance is not a good indicator of age. Caveat Emptor.

Chuck

Chuck I mentioned this previously when I was asking about westinghouse ivory micarta, but the supply of that I have, I'm pretty sure I bought from you at Blade a few years ago, and is labeled as westinghouse antique ivory.

The Blue Ivorite I posted pics of had original westinghouse labels and is from a reputable source of various antique phenolics, including norplex, and international paper, etc, and labels them all accordingly.

The rest of the stuff I posted, I admitted was of unknown provenance. Although the beige/ivory colored stuff I have was sold as old stock westinghouse material by a billiards supplier, who claims to have proof, although I haven't seen it, and am skeptical about this particular material.

Did someone say Antique... here's some Antique Micarta (I believe) that Adam put on this Kukuri he made for me. It's one of my favorite types of handle material. :)

I bought some myself from a billiards supplier last year claiming to have Westinghouse micarta. Paid top dollar. Turns out it was nothing but ivory paper micarta that every other knife supplier sells for 75% less. Wonder if its the same guy. I told them I wouldn't risk their own reputation by selling it but looks like there still offering it. Beware!!

I bought some myself from a billiards supplier last year claiming to have Westinghouse micarta. Paid top dollar. Turns out it was nothing but ivory paper micarta that every other knife supplier sells for 75% less. Wonder if its the same guy. I told them I wouldn't risk their own reputation by selling it but looks like there still offering it. Beware!!

Very possible, I'm considering sending it back.

Edit: I sent the seller requests for information on the provenance of this stuff, and he was very rude. I'm sending it back, i think it's BS.

Last edited:
Chuck I mentioned this previously when I was asking about westinghouse ivory micarta, but the supply of that I have, I'm pretty sure I bought from you at Blade a few years ago, and is labeled as westinghouse antique ivory.
You must have bought it from another supplier. I've never labeled micarta with Westinghouse on the label. I will not add the name unless I can prove the origin.

I love some of the pieces shown in this thread. Especially the very coarse natural canvas micarta.

Chuck

Does anyone know who laid up the barbed wire stuff? I think Texas Knife Supply had it and that is where I bought a few pieces. Should have bought it all!!!!

Very interesting thread here. I love old plastics. I thought it would be awesome to attempt salvaging old plastic or metal parts from WWII airplanes for handles. If you could find an airplane boneyard, the parts would make an interesting addition to a knife. :thumbup: Make your own time correct theatre knife. Maybe even a sheath or scabbard would be neat as well. Thanks for sharing all.

Back