Whacha Been Up To......

Made all this up Friday-Sunday to try my luck and sell in the exchange. 6 pocket slips, 3 card holders, and two wallets.
IMG_5822.JPG

I also got some smaller shark skin pieces to check out from SLC, and decided to try it on a slip before I did some wallet backs. It was hard to mark it for laying my pattern out, but other than that it works up nice.
IMG_5831.JPG

Currently I'm working on this now. A guy I used to work with got a big ole Boker (4.25" blade) traditional knife as a gift, and wants a belt sheath for it. I'm putting the final tweaks on these two designs to send to him for his approval this week and hopefully can start working on it in a day or two.
IMG_5805.JPG IMG_5806.JPG

Looks great Ty! Get ya a silver pen from SLC for layout on that shark. Be worth a try. Its a special kind of ink that will rub off. Use em a lot on chap work on darker leathers. Good luck on the exchange!

I'll pick me up one of those, since I really like the way the shark feels and hopefully can hunt down some larger pieces for a decent price.

Learned to do some braiding.... That's about 8' of lace there.
A whole lot of threading, pulling and tugging :)
3EC1652D-0523-4A08-B327-46213D64A6BD.jpeg

Thank you!
Getting my head wrapped around the start of it all was kinda painful, but once up to the part where you do the same thing over and over. Well, that was easier. Only pulled it out a couple times :O
Here are the instructions I followed incase anyone is interested.
http://www.kingsmerecrafts.info/page100.html

I used round holes and didn't have a fancy lacing needle.
So I cut the lace at an acute angle and gave it a generous coat of super glue.
After that dried nice and hard it was a 'self needle' of sorts.

Question for you leatherheads. Has anyone ever used (and/or considered) a cobblers machine for a low cost stitching option? Was looking at some options at Tandy the other day, and the cheapest entry stitcher is over $1400. These antique looking cobblers can be had for just a hair over $100, delivered. An option, or more of a pain than worth? Since I'm still in hobby mode, I can't really justify the $1k-$4k options.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282991007819

Thank you!
Getting my head wrapped around the start of it all was kinda painful, but once up to the part where you do the same thing over and over. Well, that was easier. Only pulled it out a couple times :O
Here are the instructions I followed incase anyone is interested.
http://www.kingsmerecrafts.info/page100.html

I used round holes and didn't have a fancy lacing needle.
So I cut the lace at an acute angle and gave it a generous coat of super glue.
After that dried nice and hard it was a 'self needle' of sorts.

Clever trick on the superglue. I have some of those lacing needles and they don't work all that great. You may have sounded the death knoll on the lacing needle industry!

Obviously I'll never be able to match you insane Craftsmen. But here is what I've been up to the past couple of weeks.

The slim card wallets have been a big hit with both the wife and I. But, there are times when I do need to pack a few more cards. So did up a bifold.

And for my little Boker Pry Mini, a little back pocket sleeve. And just for fun, my project for a little Saturday entertainment, a wrap for the AirPods. And have a bunch of traditional knife slips in process. Actually started out as a project to show my son how different weights of leather would turn out on similar items. But right out of the shoot got carried away, and attempted a snake inlay, then some deep basket weave stamping. Each time I end up getting carried away, and making silly mistakes.

Oh, and I was using a tape gun in the garage last week. Noticed how the old foam was getting crusty, and hated the feel of it. So did a quick wrap.

fd4x3k.jpg

4ktxx.jpg

2dw3v7.jpg

348prpx.jpg

Obviously I'll never be able to match you insane Craftsmen. But here is what I've been up to the past couple of weeks.

The slim card wallets have been a big hit with both the wife and I. But, there are times when I do need to pack a few more cards. So did up a bifold.

And for my little Boker Pry Mini, a little back pocket sleeve. And just for fun, my project for a little Saturday entertainment, a wrap for the AirPods. And have a bunch of traditional knife slips in process. Actually started out as a project to show my son how different weights of leather would turn out on similar items. But right out of the shoot got carried away, and attempted a snake inlay, then some deep basket weave stamping. Each time I end up getting carried away, and making silly mistakes.

Oh, and I was using a tape gun in the garage last week. Noticed how the old foam was getting crusty, and hated the feel of it. So did a quick wrap.

fd4x3k.jpg

4ktxx.jpg

2dw3v7.jpg

348prpx.jpg

Very cool! Really like the tape gun wrap, great idea. I'd like to see some close ups with the individual items, particularly the sheath and the thing with the dangler. Very nice work my friend. Tap your braid lightly with a very smooth small hammer, it will lay flatter. Some folks will rub it with a stick.

Had to make a pair of roughout spur straps with initials:

pHHZGcP.jpg

So ya know me, what the heck, go big or go home, so built these up at the same time:

9UhxIII.jpg

Did one plain set and the rest are border stamped:

sV2D3Ad.jpg

Sold this pair with nickel buckles that night.

OTGm3KF.jpg

Probably could sell the rest if I'd put em on the website where folks could see em. Made this up in the last batch of knives I did. Finishing off their sheaths today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwP1mfOF9bF/

See I see a trend. Ain't gonna sell this roundknife if I don't put it on the website either.

Very cool! Really like the tape gun wrap, great idea. I'd like to see some close ups with the individual items, particularly the sheath and the thing with the dangler. Very nice work my friend. Tap your braid lightly with a very smooth small hammer, it will lay flatter. Some folks will rub it with a stick.

Great tip, I'll do it. Thank you. Will post some more pics.

4lio9k.jpg

b5jv5s.jpg

m0i7r.jpg

2cfwkyg.jpg

zj78y0.jpg

2wfn804.jpg

j9pwua.jpg

x35yr4.jpg

9UhxIII.jpg

Probably could sell the rest if I'd put em on the website where folks could see em. Made this up in the last batch of knives I did. Finishing off their sheaths today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwP1mfOF9bF/

See I see a trend. Ain't gonna sell this roundknife if I don't put it on the website either.

Not sure how you finish your rough out, it is always insanely consistent in finish though. Know my roundknife still slicin' fine :)

Check out THAT edge! Oozes through the screen with excellence. I'm not sure what type of edger your using, a nice bisonette helped keep me from getting that boxy looking corner. I use that type on anything that doesn't have a tight radius. Would probably go up a size larger as well.

Last edited:
Check out THAT edge! Oozes through the screen with excellence. I'm not sure what type of edger your using, a nice bisonette helped keep me from getting that boxy looking corner. I use that type on anything that doesn't have a tight radius. Would probably go up a size larger as well.

Thank you. Just have the Craftool edgers #2-5. But have been experimenting lately between my "too round", and "too square" edges. And finishing off with the trusty dowel.

206zvyg.jpg

But just out of the mailbox today is this little set of Dremel burnishers. The couple of scrap pieces I've played with so far, tell me that it'll be super easy to burn the edges with these. Time to pull the big bag-o-scrap.

103j5ag.jpg

Not sure how you finish your rough out, it is always insanely consistent in finish though. Know my roundknife still slicin' fine :)

Good to see ya back Eaglestroker. Please post some pics! Thanks, don't really do anything special, just cut me out and sew together then oil em.

Good to see ya back Eaglestroker. Please post some pics! Thanks, don't really do anything special, just cut me out and sew together then oil em. Glad to see ya still liking your roundknife.

Last edited:
Back