Whacha Been Up To......

You've been busy!
I've been hiding from the plague and painting pictures :)

Been trying to get my leather skills up... This is my most recent attempt.

Open to any tips! I think one of my biggest issues is the cheap imported leather I'm using... It seems dry and "thicker" than I need it to be.

I was thinking of ordering some 10oz Wicket and Craig Brown Utility or Standard grade Skirting and have them "level" it to 8oz. Does this sound about right for what to ask for? I don't go though a ton of volume... so I'm thinking of just ordering a shoulder if they'll sell it to me like that. Does all of that sound like a reasonable plan?

Cheers guys

Open to any tips! I think one of my biggest issues is the cheap imported leather I'm using... It seems dry and "thicker" than I need it to be.

I was thinking of ordering some 10oz Wicket and Craig Brown Utility or Standard grade Skirting and have them "level" it to 8oz. Does this sound about right for what to ask for? I don't go though a ton of volume... so I'm thinking of just ordering a shoulder if they'll sell it to me like that. Does all of that sound like a reasonable plan?

Cheers guys
I think it looks great. The pros may have something to critique, but so far from the pics, I think your sheath is very well matched with the knife.

One of my problems in the past has been using too thick of leather, and end up with a crazy bulky sheath that does not match the knife. But yours looks really nice.

Some things I'm working on...
For some of my most recent fixed blade pocket slips, I've dropped down to 4-5 oz for the main piece. But then vary the welt (6-12 oz) depending on the thickness of the blade stock.

I also try to put some extra attention into the edges. I personally enjoy a nice smooth, highly polished edge. I want the primary leather piece and the welt to come together looking like well intentioned stacked leather. From your pics I can't see what the welt thickness is or how it's finished. Since it's sort of a fetish of mine, would love to see more pics with edge lighting.

I think it looks great. The pros may have something to critique, but so far from the pics, I think your sheath is very well matched with the knife.

One of my problems in the past has been using too thick of leather, and end up with a crazy bulky sheath that does not match the knife. But yours looks really nice.

Some things I'm working on...
For some of my most recent fixed blade pocket slips, I've dropped down to 4-5 oz for the main piece. But then vary the welt (6-12 oz) depending on the thickness of the blade stock.

I also try to put some extra attention into the edges. I personally enjoy a nice smooth, highly polished edge. I want the primary leather piece and the welt to come together looking like well intentioned stacked leather. From your pics I can't see what the welt thickness is or how it's finished. Since it's sort of a fetish of mine, would love to see more pics with edge lighting.

Thank you sir. I have some ways to go on getting my edge nice a glossy. Sorry for the low quality of this picture:

This angle also shows how I messed up my stitch line on the back! LOL

Thank you sir. I have some ways to go on getting my edge nice a glossy. Sorry for the low quality of this picture:

Very nice.

I have done my fair share of back side stitch wiggles. I have one, perfect on front and horrendous in back, that I keep (and actually carry often), just to remind myself what happens if the project is not perfectly flat when punching/drilling holes.

Cheers guys
Great job!

Got pics of the pics?

Here's a selfie :) 11x14" Acrylic on canvas
D4F3F42C-B5EA-43B2-9EBE-2F86A8FBF18E1.jpeg

At the soda fountain 36x12" Acrylic on canvas
8DFC2645-F831-4E37-86F3-65A4F594FFDC.jpeg

Failure and success. The gun rig turned out ok. The machete sheath not so much. My fault not the sewing machine’s. Missed the welt.

Attachments

• 3846F490-0440-441E-B393-8CB5BBB2114F.jpeg
    3846F490-0440-441E-B393-8CB5BBB2114F.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 4176CD9E-100C-413B-B1E7-7034F268884C.jpeg
    4176CD9E-100C-413B-B1E7-7034F268884C.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 26
  • EA12D044-CDDC-417D-BF9A-B240D5B1B981.jpeg
    EA12D044-CDDC-417D-BF9A-B240D5B1B981.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 24
  • B7E71130-0E2D-4AC3-9981-7C3FC893FE04.jpeg
    B7E71130-0E2D-4AC3-9981-7C3FC893FE04.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 02E21290-521A-4647-9275-430AF4FFC60E.jpeg
    02E21290-521A-4647-9275-430AF4FFC60E.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 24

That looks really good to me! Great job. One thing a guy can do is to slick the loop part before ya bend it over. Use your edging compound like Quik Slick or gum traganath and slick it down hard. That will help get rid of the fuzzies. Good idea on the Wicket and Craig, although last time I ordered they were almost all out of double shoulders. Check with District Leather they cut and split. I use 7/8 oz for most normal sheaths. 8/10 oz for larger knives and or carved sheaths. I'd probably use a little bigger edger on that sheath too, maybe a #4, get that edge a little rounder.

Here's a selfie :) 11x14" Acrylic on canvas
D4F3F42C-B5EA-43B2-9EBE-2F86A8FBF18E1.jpeg

At the soda fountain 36x12" Acrylic on canvas
8DFC2645-F831-4E37-86F3-65A4F594FFDC.jpeg

How cool are those my friend!

Failure and success. The gun rig turned out ok. The machete sheath not so much. My fault not the sewing machine’s. Missed the welt.

Yeah missing that welt makes a guy use all the top row keys don't it? Like:!@#$%^&&*( etc. Very cool gun outfit. I've never made a speed loader pouch. Heck haven't even seen one in a while.

The Browning 1895 is in .30-06 and Nichole was shooting the BLR in .243:

GKKdBbF.jpg

PwTp6MH.jpg

WeOfAex.jpg

We were getting her sighted in and some practice at distance. She'd never really shot beyond pistol/plinking ranges before. She's wanting to do some pig hunting and just got her hunting license. Watch out piggies:

jUr6ybI.jpg

nQs5n31.jpg

Last edited:
Horsewright Horsewright Thanks as always for the input. How many sheaths for basic hunting/skinning knives do you think you can get out of a side? Ballpark.

I'm looking at ordering a brown, 7/8oz, refinished, SP, side from W&C this week. They've quoted me around 160$-ish so that feels pretty darn good!

Edit: Do you also use Gum Tragacanth on all your edges before burnishing (when not using edge coat)?

Edit#2: Found my ballpark # of sheaths per side here! (around 68) https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/roughout-sheath-toutorial.1588664/

Edit#3: This is the video build of the knife and sheath I posted above if anyone wants to critique my sheath making! Admittedly I'm a super armature... lol... The video link below should start @ 14:10 at the sheath building part:

Last edited:
Dang I forgot about that tutorial!

I prefer Wyo Quik Slik over gum.

https://www.barrykingtools.com/finishingproducts.htm

By a lot. Yeah I use it on my edges, don't use edge kote. New Olympic event....Edge Kote tossing. See how far away ya can get it from your leather work. The best toss is getting it so far away that ya can't find it anymore. Gold medal everytime if ya can do that.

Each side is a little different of course as far as yield. That really is nice work ya did there on that sheath.

Few recents that shipped yesterday:

c64PvSC.jpg

gYYPVW6.jpg

rtJKIz8.jpg

Nz2zjcR.jpg

NxKbSHU.jpg

NVJkVLd.jpg

NdSkK8f.jpg

SWW40KW.jpg

eZHWgHy.jpg

I need constant supervision:

sTqyRpo.jpg

Dang I forgot about that tutorial!
I prefer Wyo Quik Slik over gum.

https://www.barrykingtools.com/finishingproducts.htm

By a lot. Yeah I use it on my edges, don't use edge kote. New Olympic event....Edge Kote tossing. See how far away ya can get it from your leather work. The best toss is getting it so far away that ya can't find it anymore. Gold medal everytime if ya can do that.

Each side is a little different of course as far as yield. That really is nice work ya did there on that sheath.

Thank you so much for the advice sir! I will for-go the Edge Kote! I ended up ordering a back instead of a side; since my volume right now is low.

PS that rough out scabbard is freaking awesome.

got this scabbard waxed up today, and I'm gonna call it done. Learned a lot from this one, tried a few new things

LXoYjtK.jpg

w06gx0R.jpg

s5IKmCQ.jpg

lwV4IdQ.jpg

ytrYE2K.jpg

sr5D5Zd.jpg

Last edited:
Back