Whacha Been Up To......

Thanks a million for posting this "journey", James. The Head knife is something on my "to do" list and your video and links will help a lot.

Those look great. Had a guy contact me the other day asking about a pocket sheath with an Ulticlip. Told him not what I do. Gonna start sending em to you.

Thank you :D

Molding that water buffalo is a job !!!!

Hey great work and pics !!! Thank you for sharing your pics , always great to see :thumbsup::)

I have been a bit busier than usual and thought I would share some recent work.
First is a flap holster for a local fellow's Ruger 22 auto.

Then a small utility knife and simple sheath for a guy that likes cocobolo. Also a stand alone gut hook and sheath for the same guy.

A couple of hunters for two brother's Christmas. I was told they are twins.

Finally the second dagger for a marine that lost the first during a tough time in Afghanistan. My gift to him.

Randy

Ok so your work is just top notch !!! Your knives have a great design to them and your leather work follows right along ! The holster is just wild ! Adding that welt in just gives it a whole different look.

Very nice work. You have a distinctive style and excellent execution. I am usually not a fan of metal clips but your approach has got me thinking about it again.
Randy

Thank you very much :) The use of the metal clips came along with many requests. So I’m trying different ideas with them.
Those are a mummert clip (silver color) and ulticlip 3.3slim (black)

My day in the shop has been interesting...........to say the least. One of my wood carving students purchased my first sheath knife a year or so ago............without a sheath. I told her to bring it back and I'd make a sheath for her. She showed up today with several large carvings she's working on that she had a ton of questions about, so we spent a couple of hours working out the problems. Then when it came to the sheath, she told me what she wanted. I told her I wasn't charging her for it because of all the nice things she's done for me in the past. But she opens her satchel and pulls out a brand new Barry King maul with the tapered 2 1/2" head, adding "I know that now you are getting into leather working, you'll need one of these." I'm almost without words. I just received in the mail a couple of days ago a maul I bought myself as a Christmas present. Was a 1 pound copy of the BK maul. (nice.........but not a BK!) The one I bought weighs 1 pound and this one weighs 20. 38 oz. I feel extremely Blessed.

Now that I have this professional BK maul, does that mean I'm a professional leather worker????? :D

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg I have question for the leather guys. I posed it in the Buck site, but got no reply. The Aluminum handled knives are embossed/coined in a die in a drop hammer to simulate engraving. The factory sheaths seem to have closely matching "tooling" patterns. Is it likely that these patterns are made with a giant stamp?
Thanks!

By the way, on the way to my shop this evening before the sun set, I noticed a fist sized chunk of rough concrete on the driveway that will soon be put to test. :thumbsup:
I've had the best luck by laying wet leather grain side down on a large slab of concrete (covered with a paper towel) and tapping the flesh side with a cobblers hammer without letting the leather shift. Looking forward to what you come up with and seeing how it works out!

"Cobblers hammer"? Dang-it, something else to buy! :D Not sure I "get" it. Where does the "chunk" of concrete come into play?

"Cobblers hammer"? Dang-it, something else to buy! :D Not sure I "get" it. Where does the "chunk" of concrete come into play?

A cobblers hammer has a convex face, it keeps from getting those little half moons from happening and puts the force in the center of the hammer face.

Let me know if this clears up any confusion::

I start with a chunk of old concrete that's probably 1ft wide by 2ft long and lay a paper towel over it to keep from transferring any grit Into the leather.

Then I wet the grain side of the leather and lay it grain side down on the piece of concrete.

Then I take the hammer and make multiple strikes all over the piece without letting the leather slide in the concrete so the texture transfers consistently, otherwise it can look a little sloppy.

I usually try to keep from hitting a couple of areas to allow some smooth spots, seems to look more natural that way.

I gave it a try and came up with a fairly interesting texture. Have to admit it would be easier to work with if it were a bit more flat on one side. I'll keep my eyes open for a good candidate................but might be able to use this to some degree.

Finally used the Tippmann Boss I picked up over the summer on some real projects. Some kinks need to be worked out yet and I probably should spend some extra time on the fine details, but I’m loving the time saved compared to hand stitching. Especially when I have to remake a sheath because Of poor retention (the horizontal one lol).
wZJLHS8.jpg
0JD0G7V.jpg

Back