1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Whacha Been Up To......

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks Dave I had always hated sewing slip sheaths but now I look forward to doing them
    Crazy right
    :)
    G2

Horsewright likes this.
  2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Some day we'll talk ya into a Cobra or two, Gary! These recents were all one order for a guy here on BF:

1 1/4" dress belt that tapers to 1":

[​IMG]

With carlos border stamping:

[​IMG]

Cowboy Grande knife (first blade I've mirror polished in probably 10 years). He told me I'd remember how. Black water buffalo horn handle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With two (left and right hand ) pancake sheaths with carlos border stamping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matching crossdraw holster for a Kimber K6S revolver:

[​IMG]

An oak carved pancake style holster for the same revolver, strong side draw:

[​IMG]

A flower carved pancake style holster for a Ruger SP101 revolver:

[​IMG]

The whole shooting match:

[​IMG]

Macan, gunspease, Lee Hester and 4 others like this.
  3. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Machine would be pretty nice!

and Wow those are exceptional!
    G2

4. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Very nice !!! :)

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  5. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    I always hated hand sewing in general lol :)

Still do for my smaller thin work :-(

Gary W. Graley and 000Robert like this.
  6. duramax

Nov 29, 2012
    Really really nice !!!!!!

7. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Forged this knife for my dad, as a Christmas present. It is my second attempt at a forged knife. First attempt at a shaped hidden tang handle. I made a sheath. Honestly, I need to steal it back and do a bit more polish on the blade. I sharpened the edge up after completion of the sheath, and there are a few errant 600 grit marks near the edge I need to strop away with an aluminum oxide loaded strop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    That looks like a good skinning knife. Good job.

9. Lee Hester

Lee Hester

May 4, 2011
    I ordered a Cobra 4 a few weeks ago, waiting on it to ship. I'm super excited, I've got a pile of knives in my shop that need sheaths. I'm trying to come up with some other leather or canvas projects to do with it. It kinda opens up a whole new world of cool things I can make, like holsters and range bags and dopp kits and stuff. I'll be interested to see how thin of material I can get away with on the cobra. I'm not super interested in making fine goods like wallets, but making bags and stuff seems totally possible. I really enjoy seeing the stuff you guys make!

10. Kumo

Kumo

Monday
    @Gary W. Graley I would love to speak to you about commissioning a sheath for a butterfly knife. Is there a good way to contact you about such things? I can't seem to get the forum messages to work.
    I'm very new here so, please excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask about this.

11. duramax

Nov 29, 2012
    Wow ! If that’s only your second attempt , you need to keep at it cause you have skills !! Looks really really good !!!! I really like the blade shape and the handle.
    Nice job :)

Bigfattyt and 000Robert like this.
  12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Looks great! Knife and sheath!!

Bigfattyt likes this.
  13. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    Delete...........double post.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:55 PM
  14. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    Cut out the blank for my round knife today. The journey begins.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:54 PM
  15. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    You can email me at
    chiseledge at yahoo.com
    But I think you might have already??
    G2

16. 000Robert

Mar 28, 2020
    I just bedded the recoil plate in my mom's M1 Carbine. I hope it turns out well. My first time bedding a firearm. Edit: To add photos.

M1-Bed-1a.jpg M1-Bed-2a.jpg M1-Bed-3a.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    Horsewright and Bigfattyt like this.
  17. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    I finished a batch of eleven knives. After they were finished we hurried to get them on the website to sell as we were heading out of town. Had to make a flying dash over to NM to see a man about a horse. Here's a couple of em:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woke up early the next morning and hammer down east bound. 12 hours later we are in AZ just outside of NM, where we're spending the night. Next morning we zip over to NM and find the ranches driveway. Ten miles of this and there we are:

[​IMG]

We didn't buy the horse we came to look at but did buy a different one. They name a lot of their young horses after John Wayne movies. We went to look at Chisolm but bought Hatari, a coming 2 yr old filly.

[​IMG]

She's kinda muddy as they had a foot of snow a few days prior. Thats the father in law of the owner talking to me in the background and I'm holding Chisolm. Ya never know when ya gonna run into a fellow leather work. Hollis use to make saddles. We're leaving Hatari there for a month and they'll get her started and put 20-30 rides on her, then we'll hustle back and pick her up.

[​IMG]

Zipped on back and made it to the house by midnight on Saturday. Long drive. Sunday we started in on these for a friend and got em done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got em all done Sunday except for the pockets. She come back over Monday evening and we did the pockets and took some pics. Monday morning I started in on three rifle scabbards and finished them up Tuesday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting another batch of knives this morning. Oh and Nichole got the taxes all ready to go see the accountant. Think I'm gonna take up decaf.

18. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Jeeze Dave, whattya gonna do after breakfast? :)

Quite the life and that looks like a rugged horse too, 20-30 rides means what exactly? just curious.

And thanks for the ride to NM, I've been to Arizona a few times and down into Mexico a lot back a few years, I was going to drive from Mexico City to San Luis Potosi but I was warned NOT to take such a road trip as you go through the mountains and there are still banditos that will relieve you of your property...at the very least, so, we flew on up to there.

G2

Horsewright and duramax like this.
  19. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    Dave Ferry suggested to me the points were trailing too much on my Round Knife. So I cut them back a bit. Being my first Round Knife and never having used one, I didn't realize how right he was until I cut them back. Here's how it looks now.
    [​IMG]

Need to order some Stainless Steel foil for the heat treating process..............so HT is the next major step. Now to find some Stag Horn for the handle. Hard to find wide enough for that butt.

duramax, 000Robert and Gary W. Graley like this.
  20. 000Robert

Mar 28, 2020
    ^^^^

Yeah, it did look a little dangerous last time. I was thinking that trying to keep from cutting yourself would be your primary focus if you were actually using it.

Chris 54326 likes this.