Whacha Been Up To......

did a bunch of steps to finish, (not final finish) #1 of 18 and it looks like everything is going to work so long as I don't screw up. Quick rub down of the welt with a coarse grit and have gotten it pretty much molded. Now that I know all the pieces will fit together, I'll break down the steps and prep all at the same time as I move through 17 more of these
4T6CoIL.jpg

Ii83e15.jpg

did a bunch of steps to finish, (not final finish) #1 of 18 and it looks like everything is going to work so long as I don't screw up. Quick rub down of the welt with a coarse grit and have gotten it pretty much molded. Now that I know all the pieces will fit together, I'll break down the steps and prep all at the same time as I move through 17 more of these
4T6CoIL.jpg

Ii83e15.jpg
Looking good !!! 👍👍

We decided we hadn't played around with railroad ties enough in the summer time. So we got more:

HkBH4OU.jpg

There's 52 here. We had to unload each one by hand from the trailer and balance it on a wheel barrow to bring it into this elevated area in the backyard. Josh our other son, was home from the Army on leave for a couple weeks, so he and Nichole with myself helping when I could, as I had a batch of knives going, whipped this wall out.

sTjycY1.jpg

kCbzcSm.jpg

gB88FAS.jpg

JMSduGG.jpg

AUddKND.jpg

oOa4bB0.jpg

Got er done:

0p7vOWQ.jpg

Our daughter and her fiancée were up for the day one day and helped out quite a bit. Their dog Lily, had a hard day supervising and took a nap with her bunny. Lily had been a little ferocious with her bunny and Grandma Nichole had taped it to keep the stuffing in:

C84YUUq.jpg

We decided we hadn't played around with railroad ties enough in the summer time. So we got more:

HkBH4OU.jpg

There's 52 here. We had to unload each one by hand from the trailer and balance it on a wheel barrow to bring it into this elevated area in the backyard. Josh our other son, was home from the Army on leave for a couple weeks, so he and Nichole with myself helping when I could, as I had a batch of knives going, whipped this wall out.

sTjycY1.jpg

kCbzcSm.jpg

gB88FAS.jpg

JMSduGG.jpg

AUddKND.jpg

oOa4bB0.jpg

Got er done:

0p7vOWQ.jpg

Our daughter and her fiancée were up for the day one day and helped out quite a bit. Their dog Lily, had a hard day supervising and took a nap with her bunny. Lily had been a little ferocious with her bunny and Grandma Nichole had taped it to keep the stuffing in:

C84YUUq.jpg
That is a very nice dirt bed there. What's the plan - veggies? flowers? Or some of both?

That is a very nice dirt bed there. What's the plan - veggies? flowers? Or some of both?
Just some decorative stuff here and there not completely planted. Course that can change daily, weekly, hourly, etc. Our daughters wedding reception will be in the backyard come August. The wedding party and family will be up there on that raised area so wanted to do something to dress er up.

Well we got our new Cobra Bell Skiver in time for Nichole to do her first tote of the year. Two and a half hour drive to where they are. Dave gave us a quick once over on the machine showing us how to use it and then they loaded it in the back of the truck. It is a substantial piece of equipment. They loaded it with a forklift and we used four people to unload it. We picked up the Cobra Burnisher too so Nichole could have that in her shop inside the house so she didn't have to walk back and forth all the time to my shop. They have worked out great. The skiver is literally a game changer. On the tote all exterior edges to be sewn need to be skived. By hand, probably close to an hour and thats stopping and her having me touch up the skiver on the buffer a couple of times. With the skiving machine, literally seconds:

JalQMLd.jpg

DZoqw6D.jpg

QPyThYY.jpg

qjhfGtv.jpg

She skived the pocket top binding and the top of the bag where it rolls over too. Literally just a few seconds and the machine has it done and done perfectly too. Its WOW!

Nichole found a new buckle to use on her curb straps that she makes from water buffalo Using the new bell skiver and these new buckles the curb straps really came out svelte. I like em:

9XNfBrC.jpg

no3usdh.jpg

E4uyhq2.jpg

Curb strap is part of the bridle and goes under the chin of the horse. I don't think we made this one although we made the reins and the headstall.

8W7IGzw.jpg

I did this holster for our daughter's soon to be FIL. I'd made him one prior but wasn't happy with the fit when I saw it at the range a couple of weeks ago. So I built a new one. He thought I was crazy because he was very happy with the old one. Glock 26:

kTarrzE.jpg

Just some decorative stuff here and there not completely planted. Course that can change daily, weekly, hourly, etc. Our daughters wedding reception will be in the backyard come August. The wedding party and family will be up there on that raised area so wanted to do something to dress er up.

Well we got our new Cobra Bell Skiver in time for Nichole to do her first tote of the year. Two and a half hour drive to where they are. Dave gave us a quick once over on the machine showing us how to use it and then they loaded it in the back of the truck. It is a substantial piece of equipment. They loaded it with a forklift and we used four people to unload it. We picked up the Cobra Burnisher too so Nichole could have that in her shop inside the house so she didn't have to walk back and forth all the time to my shop. They have worked out great. The skiver is literally a game changer. On the tote all exterior edges to be sewn need to be skived. By hand, probably close to an hour and thats stopping and her having me touch up the skiver on the buffer a couple of times. With the skiving machine, literally seconds:

JalQMLd.jpg

DZoqw6D.jpg

QPyThYY.jpg

qjhfGtv.jpg

She skived the pocket top binding and the top of the bag where it rolls over too. Literally just a few seconds and the machine has it done and done perfectly too. Its WOW!
Beautiful work!

Nichole whipped these out over the last couple of days after we got done with our winter works at the ranch. Horseshoe Coasters:

CmcItQ2.jpg

And a matching Notebook Cover. The logo on the notebook is the full logo for this company. There simply wasn't room on the coasters to do the whole logo;

zKxppQC.jpg

Together:

z1cz76j.jpg

And a few from our works:

Thought this was a cool shot. It was one of those deals ya don't notice until going over the pics later. But this is our friend's Fletch's bridle rig hangin on his saddle horn at lunchtime. I was mostly trying to get a pic of the braiding of the reins for M Macan . Wasn't until later that I noticed both the head stall and the curbstrap are showing our makers' mark on them:

9vgbHdA.jpg

This cute lil heifer will be a replacement heifer for us, adding her to the cow herd when she's weaned. We call her L'Oreal cause of the eye shadow she wears all the time.

zfxbvR9.jpg

Fletch and Nichole sorting off the momma cows:

7fwOf5f.jpg

0frUhtt.jpg

These shots if its leather and not the saddle or boots we made it. Our daughter Alyssa in the background made up the rest of our sorting crew. She's working the gate. Cows go by and in through the gate. Calves stay out.

eYSqTpu.jpg

Once the cows were sorted off, Alyssa and Fletch worked in the back bringing the cows forward to the sweep and into the chute:

EZkTvI0.jpg

Dave, Alyssa's fiancé ran the chute:

7kELdiy.jpg

Carina worked the catwalk keeping the cows pushed forward to the chute. When Alyssa and Fletch were coming with a new group Carina had to squat down so as not to stop the cattle.

dDRphKi.jpg

Nichole administered the shots and kept track of the paperwork.

m9KZLJp.jpg

She'd get up on the catwalk to help Carina sort out the occasional tangle:

Gr14dQa.jpg

All that done and it's branding time. Since most of these calves were smaller, we heeled them first and just drug them to the fire. Only a couple did we head and heel. Alyssa heeling L'Oreal.

soTQVf8.jpg

MMHLrxy.jpg

vsv5sdv.jpg

IakA1GF.jpg

Dave made a friend:

GmbJmJO.jpg

All wonderful work as alway
Here's a few for the start of the year;

Benchmade Proper folder with one of my lanyards attached; I tried using a dremel drill stand thingy to drill some 1/16" drill bit holes but I don't care for the looks of it, could be the drill wasn't sharp enough??, the Buck sheath I didn't use it, just used my awl to get the holes through. All of these are hand stitched using the two needle style.

Used 4mm spacing and 1.2mm Ritza Tiger thread

IMG_0376 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Buck 110 with my Indian head embossing

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

a couple of slip sheaths for the Viper Hug folder, using some milled leather I picked up at the Tandy Leather store in Syracuse NY

it's a nice folder too, the burgundy sheath is mine, the saddle tan was ordered and shipped out recently;

Untitled
Here's a few for the start of the year;

Benchmade Proper folder with one of my lanyards attached; I tried using a dremel drill stand thingy to drill some 1/16" drill bit holes but I don't care for the looks of it, could be the drill wasn't sharp enough??, the Buck sheath I didn't use it, just used my awl to get the holes through. All of these are hand stitched using the two needle style.

Used 4mm spacing and 1.2mm Ritza Tiger thread

IMG_0376 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Buck 110 with my Indian head embossing

a couple of slip sheaths for the Viper Hug folder, using some milled leather I picked up at the Tandy Leather store in Syracuse NY

it's a nice folder too, the burgundy sheath is mine, the saddle tan was ordered and shipped out recently;

G2
Wonderful work as always Gary!

Hopefully this works lol.

Ugh of course it won’t , I’m guessing because my IG account is private ? So I’ll assume you’d need to follow me there. Truth not much posted there as I only signed up for seeing knife makers knives.

I’ll try again later with posting this vid
Sheath for a Carothers / CPK Boot dagger in water buffalo. Has kydex tip protector and rubber retention aid on back.
already delivered into the hand of owner 👍

Last edited:

Hopefully this works lol.

Ugh of course it won’t , I’m guessing because my IG account is private ? So I’ll assume you’d need to follow me there. Truth not much posted there as I only signed up for seeing knife makers knives.

I’ll try again later with posting this vid

Sheath for a Carothers / CPK Boot dagger in water buffalo. Has kydex tip protector and rubber retention aid on back.
already delivered into the hand of owner 👍
I think I just requested to follow your Instagram. (billa6343 ?).

Anyone else have an Instagram account they'd care to share?

I think I just requested to follow your Instagram. (billa6343 ?).

Anyone else have an Instagram account they'd care to share?
That’s me with all of like six posts on there lol. I confirmed and followed back 👍👍

Back