what 3 knives would you bring????

You can bring only 3--

What knives/axes/saws/etc would you bring and why???

Gransfors Bruks Scandi forest axe.
Mora #510
SAK "Vic Farmer"

I have recently added a Opinel folding saw to my pack.... but that would make 4;)

My third choice is harder...

Axe or Saw or blade in the 6-8"?????

What are your choices????

I'm more comfprtable with an axe/hatchet than a large blade. As mentioned before the folding Opinel saw is a recent addition.

Vivi - I have not used a SAK saw blade, but I have two scout knives with saw blades, about 2-3/4" long. They work fine for small work.

The pocket chain saw is 27" long and I think I could cut anything I could wrap it around; and it rolls up into something the size of a shoe polish can. With this, remember, you're pulling with both arms and body weight. It's very effective. Not to mention I could cut a green branch and make a frame saw out of it.

I Changed The Situation(page 2)--

Would You Still Be Glad You Brought What You Did???

Heavy Ordinance Grade Fusion Steel Heart (OR) Straight Handled Battle Mistress - chopping and shelter building duties covered
Anorexic Badger Attack (OR) Active Duty - smaller detail work and game preparation, EDC chores
Leatherman Surge Ti (OR) Victorinox SAK Rucksack - things that a knife won't handle easily, tons of uses here

I'm gonna have to say A Busse SFNO or FSH, Blackjack Trailguide and my trusty old sak. I'm tempted to say I'd add my GB hatchet but for a woods walk I like a large fixed blade better.

I hadn't noticed the sceanrio changed but I'm still good. My BK-7 is pretty complete. I'd still be camping with a fire, water, shelter, space blanket, signals, etc. Actually it sounds like it would make a great write up if it happened. (do I still have my digital camera?) Mac

Could You Build A Shelter To Keep Yourself Alive In Until Morning

Yes, tramontina, hopefully find a blow down and add to it or build a debris hut.

Could You Get A Fire Started???

I have a magnesuim/ferrocium kit with firestraws on the kalista sheath, held on with a piece of innertube.

Could You Keep It Going Long Enough To Keep You Alive Until Daylight???

Again Tramontina, cut extra wood and pile near shelter.

What Would You Do First....???????

Look for suitable place and materials for shelter, then gather tender and fire wood, build fire then shelter. Get up the next morning and start walking, 30 miles is not that bad. Chris

Wetterling (yes im better with an axe than a big knife) leatherman wave and my vic fireman.

BK7
helle eggen(when I get it) or buck 110 folder(that I have now)
regular hardware store felling ax strapped to side of pack (yes i'd like to upgrade to a wetterling but this one works for now!)

WHY??

MOST PEOPLE I WOULD THINK WOULD HAVE LESS CONTROL OVER AN AXE THAN A KNIFE

WHAT TYPE OF AXE ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT??

GB small forest axe. I have used a axe/hatchet for camp tasks since I was 10. My Grandfather never used a blade over 4" and always carried a hatchet, or axe. He called large blades "Hobbit swords" and he is the one that influenced me most when it comes to camp craft tools.

I've tried some large blades and find them to be very useful tools. I just feel more comfortable with a axe/hatchet. If it came to a "TSHTF" situation as you mentioned, I would want what I'm comfortable with.

I Changed The Situation Because No One "really" Believes "they" Will Ever Be In A "survival" Situation--as That Happens To Someone Else.

We All Like To Think That Whatever We Brought(knife Wise) Would Do The Tasks Required To Keep Us Alive.

Newest Question......

Have You Tested Your Knives Under Harsh Conditions To See If They Work???

I Have Not---but I'm Going To Soon.

How About You???

Backpacking/Camping: Marttiini puukko, SAK Farmer, Vaughan Supersportsman's Sub-Zero Mini Axe

Bugging-Out/Survival: Marttiini puukko, SAK Farmer, Valiantco golok

Recent addition to my office PSK: an air matress. If I get stuck in the office, I can sleep on it. If I can get out and head for home, all the bridges can be down and I can still get across the ship canal. Blow it up, put my clothes in my backpack, paddle across, and get dressed again. Sell it on the other side

----GREAT IDEA DaleW

Newest Question......

Have You Tested Your Knives Under Harsh Conditions To See If They Work???

-Using a piece of deadwood, I batonned my RAT-7 through a 3-inch diameter tree branch, cross grain. Does that count? Made a Bow and drill with it too, which means it can do more than hack n slash.

-I split an Oak log into pieces with my BK1 by beating on it with a big piece of wood.

-I cut down a 4 foot diameter Sycamore tree with my Mora Clipper. :eek:

Pick the two that are true. :D

Back