what 3 knives would you bring????

I should be fine till morning. I don't venture into the woods without a daypack that includes:

large chopping blade
smaller detail/hunting blade
some sort of multi-tool with a saw
PSK that includes three kinds of fire-starters & fire straws
breathable rain gear
a hat/cap
some polypropylene underwear
1 fleece pullover
headlamp/flashlight

Just with the poly underwear (very compressible, very warm) and rain gear, I'm actually pretty warm, so even if the clothes I'm wearing get soaked, I have a backup until I can dry them.

Knives have been tested. They should serve me well.

Let's see here....

My HI 15" British Army Service model, scrapper 6, and my leatherman wave.

Those are my most universal tools that I have with me in the bush. Lots of times if I'm backpacking I replace the scrapper 6 with my F1 or a Busse Satin Jack, or a mora. If I was Car camping I would replace the BAS with a GB full sized axe.

Next part:

Getting ready to snow, no vehicle. Well I carry a bic+firesteel and tinder with me on my person and in my PSK, on top of a full sized PSK in my backpack. If I didn't have any of those I would be SOL, because I have yet to succeed on making a fire with bow and drill. (I have tried 3 or 4 times)

1) Make shelter and gather necessary firemaking materials for twice what I would think I would need.
2) Make fire
3) Wake up and walk out if capable
4) If not prepare signals for rescue and make my presence as well know as possible. (Great idea putting stuff on the road to slow traffic)

my .02

Let's see here....

My HI 15" British Army Service model, scrapper 6, and my leatherman wave.

Those are my most universal tools that I have with me in the bush. Lots of times if I'm backpacking I replace the scrapper 6 with my F1 or a Busse Satin Jack, or a mora. If I was Car camping I would replace the BAS with a GB full sized axe.

Next part:

Getting ready to snow, no vehicle. Well I carry a bic+firesteel and tinder with me on my person and in my PSK, on top of a full sized PSK in my backpack. If I didn't have any of those I would be SOL, because I have yet to succeed on making a fire with bow and drill. (I have tried 3 or 4 times)

1) Make shelter and gather necessary firemaking materials for twice what I would think I would need.
2) Make fire
3) Wake up and walk out if capable
4) If not prepare signals for rescue and make my presence as well know as possible. (Great idea putting stuff on the road to slow traffic)

my .02

your .02 cents are worth a lot more--as that is EXACTLY what one should do.

My picks:

Trail Blazer 14" Take-Down Buck Saw
One of my Bowies. Either a Bill Bagwell custom or my Cold Steel Trailmaster
My SAK (Victorinox Explorer)

All the knives (leatherman pst2, busse mud razor, martindale golok) have been heavily tested and used on numerous occasions.

Orginal question:
Becker Crewman, Vic Swisstool, Spyderco Native. I'd be tempted to swap the Native for the Bark River Mini Canadian I just ordered, but I don't technically have that one yet.

Hypothetical Scenario:
I'd be okay overnight with my above choices since the Becker includes some fire making supplies in the sheath.

If I didn't get a chance to choose and had to rely on what I have on me on a daily basis, It would be the LM Wave, Bic and LED light in my briefcase along with the USAF knife in the car trunk.

I would have to say these three,

1. Ranger RD7
2. Himalayan Imports Chiruwa Ang Khola
3. Bark River Northstar

They would do everything I would need and more.

Well, I'll answer the original question first. I'd bring a Ranger RD7, my Ranger 4 3/4" custom, and a Wenger Handyman.

Oops, forgot the rest. First, I'd use my RD7 to help put together a shelter against the rain, as it would be doing here. Then gather enough wood to start three fires, as seeing that it's raining, it may not want to start well on the first try. I'm pretty confident that I could do this easily enough.

This thread is so much more usefull than all the "which ONE knife would you take" threads.

Agreed, 100%. I'm sure everyone here could slice cheese with a Busse, and whittle down a 4" tree with an SAK if they HAD to. But it sure makes life easier to have somewhat more-specialized tools. So, based on current inventory, here's my top 3:

My CS TrailMaster (9-1/2" Bowie), mainly for shelter-building and firewood-gathering. Rough, heavy, dirty work which demands a bit of weight to do quickly.

My CS Master Hunter ( 4 1/2" drop point) or Frost's Swedish military Mora (3-7/8" drop/clip point) or Becker Necker ( 3-1/4"drop point) These three are all quite different, but I've found they all work pretty dang well for the camp-craft type of stuff. All are quite capable of very fine work; the Mora takes a slight backseat to the other two, because I wouldn't baton it or otherwise really "crank" on it unless I absolutely had to.

For the third spot, hmmm... I love my CS Rifleman's hawk, but don't really need it if I have the Bowie. So I'd flip a coin between my Leatherman Blast and my Coghlan's folding saw. The saw on the Blast is clearly no match for a bigger folding saw, but it gets the nod for overall versatility. Having said that, my Leatherman lives in my coat pocket 24/7/365 now, so I don't count that as a knife :D So I guess the folding saw gets the nod, although I don't honestly use it all that much. Couldnt' hurt, though, and it's very light/low-profile.

Regarding the second part of the question, I'm pretty much with the others. Priority one is warmth, this may mean either a lean-to or fire first, depending. Actually, gathering wood/materials is first for either so I pretty much consider them equal. Can I make a fire? Not without modern help, I'm afraid. I have BIC lighters, matches in waterproof bottles, and magnesium firestarters. I especially like the small cylindrical magnesium bars with ferro rod. A small PSK in a pouch on at least one of your sheathes is pretty much required.

Folding saw like a Bahco/Sandvik Laplander replica

Hard part is choosing which one will be most needed for the trip:
- tool: Leatherman Wave or Victorinox OHT
- Fixed: SRKW Howling Rat or Becker BK7
- woodwork: Opinel 8 or a Mora (both carbon)

Hmmm, thought about that for awhile... I would only carry one sheath... having my leuku & puukko combo in it. No need for axe with the leuku and puukko works with everything else... and believe me, I have tested that in real! I use to run nature tours in Finnish Lapland and stayed in the woods for 2-3 weeks at the time, even in winter.

Leuku has 8 1/4" blade (1 1/4" wide) with 5 1/2" handle, puukko has 3 3/4" blade ( 13/16" wide) with 4 1/2" handle

tup.jpg

tupl.jpg

Forgot, I got this one from here...

Cloudberry Market

1) Hatchett - GB, Fiskars
2) Medium size, but study fixed blade - CRK Mtn II, Dozier PGK or soon to come Badger Attack Tac!
3) Good folder - Microtech Socom Elite

Ok---all Excellent Answers-----some Much Different Than Others.

-shit Hit The Fan---your 30 Miles From Town-

-your Car Is Gone---stolen.(you Find This Out 1 Hour Before Sunset)--no Cell Phone signalk where Your At.

And Of Course--it's Snowing Or Raining(pick One)

Could You Build A Shelter To Keep Yourself Alive In Until Morning??

What Would Your "pocket Tool" Be Used For ???

Could You Get A Fire Started???

Could You Keep It Going Long Enough To Keep You Alive Until Daylight???

Even If You Had The 3 "perfect" Knives/tools---could You Use Them To Save Your Life In This Situation???

What Would "you" Do First(after Cursing Like A Madman That Someone Stold Your Car/truck)

What Would You Do First....???????

I could be sitting good with nothing but my Ranger RD7 and my key chain (I always have a firesteel on my key ring). I'd head back to the woods and cut down a few limbs and make a basic lean to. I'd make a fire pit just outside of the entrance to my shelter (digging w/ my Ranger) and fill it with some of the dryer bottom branches, but even if they're a little wet I'd be ok with that. I'd find some dead limbs and shave them down, using the dryer center shavings for my tinder, along with a cotton ball (in the same little pouch as my magnesium fire block combo, but I could do without) and strike a fire. If I needed to shave some magnesium, I would. Once I got a few smaller sticks going, I'd transfer the fire to my pit. I'd probably hollow out a branch and make a deep spoon, which I would melt snow in for some drinking water. If I didn't have my flint with me, I'd probably just be making a heavier lean to with more layers for insulation, and make a door to close myself in. I suppose that if I were going to stay for any period of time, I'd get some wood inside with me and let it dry a little and try a fire plow or bow and drill method to make a fire, but wouldn't hope for much if it was really wet out.

Back