what cold steel do you carry?

Another selection of knives carried by our team at HQ (originally shared on our Facebook Page for Knife Thursday)

thur6.jpg

Counter Point II
Limited Edition Green Micro Recon I
Spartan
Kudu
Hatamoto (discontinued)
Recon I
Ti Lite VI
Pocket Bushman

Those Southern Comfort sheaths are great. Lynn has several and they are all flawless.
I like them a lot
Good call on the Trail Master / Gunsite combo! Awesome knives! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Knifenutty, do you conceal the TM or able to open carry? I have the exact same C5TM/SC setup, with an XL Voyager instead of the Gunsite, great combo!

Mounted a Best Pal on my Maxpedition Malaga yesterday, my very first push dagger. My Rajah 3 or Voyager XL see most of my CS pocket time. :)

I have the xl g10 espada, kobun, Spartan, 4" tilite, and xl voyager clip point partially serrated. I usually care the voyager in my backpocket or the kobun inside the waist band.

Depending how I am dressed and what I am doing, I will carry at least 2 or more of the following: Laredo in a Southern Comfort, Tanto Lite in a Drawpoint, Vaquero Grande, new XL Voyager Tanto, Tuff Lite, and sometimes a Code-4 Tanto.

There is no size limit for a belt knife here so it can be worn either way...
The way it sits on my belt it could be said that it isn't concealed as it's sitting on the belt..
I do switch the gunsite with my hatamoto from day to day...
Mike Sastre makes incredible sheaths that everyone should have a least one IMO.

Code-4 in spear point is my go-to Cold Steel blade. I love the finish and aluminum scales.

Mine has been used very heavily, opening boxes and doing general edc tasks. It has a tiny bit of blade play but other than that no real issues. It's a work horse knife, plain and simple.

Code-4 in spear point is my go-to Cold Steel blade. I love the finish and aluminum scales.

Mine has been used very heavily, opening boxes and doing general edc tasks. It has a tiny bit of blade play but other than that no real issues. It's a work horse knife, plain and simple.

I recently scored one of these beauties and I love it. It has become my favorite Cold Steel blade and has become my full time edc.

Either my carbon V Recon Scout or LTC depending on what I am doing around the property.

Gotta clean up my bushman folder , I use it for work and a pen exploded in my pocket :( what can I use to remove the ink off the handle?

Carried original Voyager for years, currently carrying the current model 4" Voyager, and a Super Edge as necker under shirt. Also keep an American Lawman in my pack, which gets carried around town several days a week.

We/KnifeRights are making another push to relax knife laws here in TN, so hoping by summer to be able to carry the 5.5" Voyager!

- OS

Last edited:
My first ever post....I never want to sound like I'm selling anything by saying brands or anything but at the same time I want the knowledge out there so people are able to make conscious choices with their money.

My belt knife was a buck simonich raven legacy in s30v while my survival knife that I keep within my pack at all times was the cold steel gurkha kukri in san mai. The kukri being a little big along with the belt knife I have a mora fire knife. I say "Was" when I refer to my kukri as it seems the police up in Canada have forgotten the laws and are attempting to have me jailed for 30 years lol.

2805k4x.jpg

As far as the kukri was....umm it's a great knife for the most part. I really like how versatile the design of it really is as it's able to lend itself to nearly all tasks I've been able to put up to it so far. These tasks include batoning, wood carving, limbing, wood shaping/hewing, brush clearing, downing trees (dead of course), collecting grass, draw knife work, beheading chickens (to eat of course), dispatching not totally dead but trapped animals when conibears fail, hammering pegs, shaping snow for igloos (roughly though as it is a tad thick) and even employed it cutting potatoes and garlic on occasion just to train a little dexterity. I would still like to attempt to use it for skinning small game and up to deer though haven't had the chance yet. Lastly digging, though I understand that a stick can be made quite easily to do the same task that it would be capable I'm still curious. Of course many of these task are what one would call insanity as many other tools would easily do a far better task I was still interested in exploring the impossible one tool option as I'm sure we all do.

It......is capable of all those things but don't get me wrong it still has short comings and is by no means the "perfect" tool. I've just been using it within all these scenarios just to test it. Understand that I am a person like any other whom has different opinions and they may differ from your own, but try to at least understand the logic behind my belief and use it as you will.

Primarily this tool is a chopper and it is most at home within doing just that, by design it's weight forward blade makes it's own mass work for you. No this doesn't mean this thing chops on it's own as it still is quite a hefty piece of steel and takes a little bit of strength on your part to use it efficiently. At around 30 ounces it isn't a lightweight tool in many people's perspectives....though when I hold it to the light of let's say an axe it is somewhat dare I say...light? When I say this of course I can already hear the chairs scrape along the ground as people stand up. Yes yes I know the difference between big knives and axes as I own and use both. It is a good chopper though and it does this job best....other jobs take place slowly down the spectrum from there as a reference point though, so like wood carving is of course not it's strong point but with practice is within it's ability. Battoning is another win for it's design at over a quarter inch in thickness it forces wood apart pretty good......I remember once battoing a piece of knotted dry birch that was 5 feet in height and was around 8 inches across, now that was a test of battoning....and of my endurance as this was more a test of strength than practical use. It is actually capable of splitting pieces up to around 4-5 inches across with a chopping method employed (though this is more dangerous.) though when used next to the wetterlings hunters axe it appeared to fall short. Though I kept telling my friend "It's a bloody knife! don't judge it as an axe! judge it as a knife doing this!" I don't think he thought the same but oh well. I do feel I'm rambling though so I'll cut it short within saying the knife is best at home within the woods where it can prep light firewood and construct shelters along with giving you the confidence of it's pointy tip for when you hear rustling in the bushes from some big squirrels.

Alas....I still feel like I must give more of my opinion! sorry!!!

The sheath is good...not great but good, it would seem it had been made for the gurkha kukri in sk5 though as it fit very very...very tightly and took a bit of force to get it out. So much so that it was more of a two handed affair just getting it out so having it on my belt didn't work so well. This became an even bigger problem come winter as in the -25 degree Celsius weather it ended up melting water on the blade and when I tried to stick it back in it was a fight, and once inside it was welded in by ice!. I also found it strange feeling and heavy when on my belt. So I fashioned a bunch of different rigs to aid in being able to carry it at the ready on me somewhere for trekking about. I eventually came to t a rig where it was wrapped around my waist with a strap that had a clip so I could take it off with ease. I fixed it in an angled static position which was essential in being able to draw it one handed but I worked it out. The sheath though is made of a plastic that seems to dull the edge....this is not seen with other people I feel as they don't carry their knives like I do which is every....single...day...everywhere. So the knives don't get the chance to repeatedly bash back and forth into the plastic and be drawn and sheathed over and over. It irks me but not enough so to merit the need for another one so I'll live with it. It has lots of nice lashing points though to attach whatever crazy ass bags and stuff you'd want to....though this makes it unwearable in the way I carry it.

The blade steel seems pretty good I would think as it seems to hold an edge pretty good. Vg-1 ain't nothing to write home about it seems but it holds it well enough to get a good bit of work done before it needs work. It responds best to using diamond sharpeners as they are the most abrasive and eats through stones I have with little progress lol. It takes a little time to work it back.....I know it's full convex but haven't worked on stropping yet so I just worked a useable v edge on it for now and it takes only around 30 minutes of work to get it from dull to paper cutting sharp. The best thing about the steel is I noticed how it doesn't seem to rust...like ever, and I've submerged it in the sheath and then let it sit for 24 hours with no rust. This is a plus because water does work it's way under the handle.....

The handle is comfortable and I'm 6'1 so take that as you will and allows for a few different holds from far back chopping to closer in carving. The rubber is soft and gummy feeling which makes me want to wear gloves for extended use. It absorbs shock quite well for what it is though I found that on the first day of testing the handle came loose from the blade tang which was a big let down. I've come to understand that this problem is across the board with recent cold steel handles. Luckily the steel is very rust resistant.....so it's not so much of an issue but it still bothers me. It is a little tacky and dirt sticks to it a bit though it's good in almost all conditions. It's strongest suit being the winter as it insulates your hand from the (pun incoming) cold steel, which makes it much more comfortable than other knives in the winter and fits nicely with some medium leather gloves.

Lastly! the price....which is outrageous! it would seem anyway. Though I often wonder as to the full production cost of the item, because I do believe it can be justified with explanation. For the most part people are cheap bastards and want to drop 10 bucks for the ultimate knives around. The price anyway is....considerable at around 699 dollars cdn. Would I pay that to get a new one? um....at this point in time I would say no. I bought mine for 250 bucks at cabelas in the returned bargain bin as I don't believe in buying new things. I would buy it for up to 300....but that's pushing it really and is hard for a novice to wrap their heads around so I don't recommend such a knife for someone who doesn't truly know what they want yet. More could be said but I'll leave it at that for now so thank you to anyway who read this and please go easy on me as this is my first review.

Also I can't figure out the picture thing....but hopefully that works.

Secret Edge... received it right now. Can't lay it down, it hangs on my neck and I will probably slice up my steak, bread, vegetables, fruit and cheese with it this evening. Cold Steel certainly makes some of the best budget blades out there...

Back