What did you rehang today?

Took a Black Raven and put it on a 32" NOS stick, turned out pretty nice.

MNwWm6I.jpg

IOXe2Lq.jpg

eYtnVyz.jpg

Great marriage there!

Beautiful job man! Just gorgeous! Have you had that raven for a long time or is that a new acquisition? Beautiful haft too!
I've got a handle that's waiting for the right axe.
The peak of my Raven hording reached 16, really haven't grabbed any since then, so I've had it for about 3 or 4 years now, just slowly hanging them and putting them in my shop. Idea is to keep the best of them. Luckily my wife likes the Ravens, she isn't to keen on all the Champions.

Here is another looker, not NOS handle but still vintage, these knob-swell handles are my favorite of the old style.
UzLKx40l.jpg

ItKrFMrl.jpg

I know people will ask, and I did not put the holes in the head, thought about filling them but they grow on you, back in the day people would sometimes pin an axe to the handle, as another means of securing the head. Either because they lacked the skill to do the wedge right, or because their livelihood depended on their axe, done back when the Raven was just a quality tool, not a collectible. It was rather well done, symmetrical and counter-sunk, not just drilled in the middle of the etch.

The peak of my Raven hording reached 16, really haven't grabbed any since then, so I've had it for about 3 or 4 years now, just slowly hanging them and putting them in my shop. Idea is to keep the best of them. Luckily my wife likes the Ravens, she isn't to keen on all the Champions.

Here is another looker, not NOS handle but still vintage, these knob-swell handles are my favorite of the old style.
UzLKx40l.jpg

ItKrFMrl.jpg

I know people will ask, and I did not put the holes in the head, thought about filling them but they grow on you, back in the day people would sometimes pin an axe to the handle, as another means of securing the head. Either because they lacked the skill to do the wedge right, or because their livelihood depended on their axe, done back when the Raven was just a quality tool, not a collectible. It was rather well done, symmetrical and counter-sunk, not just drilled in the middle of the etch.
If you decide any Ravens are not keepers please let me know. :)

I restore and sell axes, but have been warned about talking about it, due to not being a gold member? Not sure, anyways just check out my HOME PAGE on my Profile. Mostly restoration but I can also engrave handles and etch heads, which can be fun, but there are those who dislike the more permanent modifications to an axe out there.

RTGxnCr.jpg

fHoEH47.jpg

I didn't do a thing to this other than clean and oil it. I left it as original as possible. It's a 6lb head on a 36" handle.

IMG_20180914_082540 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180914_082626 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180914_082749 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180914_082713 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

To quote Paris Hilton

"That's Hot!"

To quote my boys..."that's epic" "that's legendary"

No matter who or what, I think that's absolutely gorgeous JB!

So my family's had an axe for longer than I can remember, it predates me for sure. It's got the eye ridges and I'm reasonably sure it has the original handle as it has True Temper embossed with a paint fill (what remains). I've tried sinking the wedge further and soaking in BLO all to no avail. The other week I finally drilled a small hole in the wedge, sank a drywall screw and pried it out. I could see why the wedge wasn't doing anything, it was bottomed out in an absolutely execrable cut. I did what I could to clean that up and extend it down a half inch or so, sanded down the ledge the head was sitting on and got the head a good 1/4" to 3/8" further down. While working on it the fawns foot had never had a flat cut on it so all I had to strike was the portion where the wood had been bashed flat over the years so I cut a flat taking off all the crushed wood fibers and sanded it so it blends reasonably well with the rest of the handle. The wedge managed to break off while driving it in, but I was pretty good with where it was when it broke so we'll just have to see how it works out. I sawed it all flush with the head and it doesn't look too bad. Anyway, onto the pictures!
Before with the ledge.

After.

It doesn't really look too bad.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially without having to replace the handle.

So my family's had an axe for longer than I can remember, it predates me for sure. It's got the eye ridges and I'm reasonably sure it has the original handle as it has True Temper embossed with a paint fill (what remains). I've tried sinking the wedge further and soaking in BLO all to no avail. The other week I finally drilled a small hole in the wedge, sank a drywall screw and pried it out. I could see why the wedge wasn't doing anything, it was bottomed out in an absolutely execrable cut. I did what I could to clean that up and extend it down a half inch or so, sanded down the ledge the head was sitting on and got the head a good 1/4" to 3/8" further down. While working on it the fawns foot had never had a flat cut on it so all I had to strike was the portion where the wood had been bashed flat over the years so I cut a flat taking off all the crushed wood fibers and sanded it so it blends reasonably well with the rest of the handle. The wedge managed to break off while driving it in, but I was pretty good with where it was when it broke so we'll just have to see how it works out. I sawed it all flush with the head and it doesn't look too bad. Anyway, onto the pictures!
Before with the ledge.

After.

It doesn't really look too bad.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially without having to replace the handle.
I’m going to guess it’s a Kelly Woodslasher. And I love that pattern. I think it’s the perfect weight for a splitting axe. And good job on the handle resurrection :thumbsup:

I've been working on this old Collins hatchet head, I picked up from a garage sale, the last few days and am about 95% done (I need to grab some epoxy from the hardware store to mix up some filler). I think it came out pretty well. House Handles riggers handle that I cut down and thinned out a little. A couple coats of Danish oil and good to go!

6PYm0Jj - Imgur.jpg

When I bought this little SAW hatchet it had a cracked handle, (just like the other three Swedish hatchets I have found, I think there is a trend here). Then I recently found this NOS replacement handle at a local antique store. They had two of them and I bought them both. I have always loved the original handles on these because they are very slim and have a large swell (the older versions at least, before the 80’s). This handle is almost exactly the same size and shape as the original. The grain is awful but for this hatchet it will be fine. I was very lucky to find it regardless. That’s enough rambling, thanks for looking and happy hunting!!!

Nice find! The grain on that haft looks similar to a new Hults Bruk Kalix I bought recently. Kinda candy striped... Hickory flavor.

I’m going to guess it’s a Kelly Woodslasher. And I love that pattern. I think it’s the perfect weight for a splitting axe. And good job on the handle resurrection :thumbsup:

Cool thanks! I can see the remnants of a sticker on the head but that's about it. Since I had it off I weighed it and its 3 lbs 15.5 oz. It is a great splitter I really hope the handle holds up, I love the thing despite the handle issues. Once I'm done with the Collins Legitimus double I'm working on right now I'll have everything hung. I guess I'll just have to start learning to sharpen them until I can snag another head. LOL

Beautiful pairing. It took me a minute to catch the blackjack stamp. Lemme guess, rusty vinegar on the handle or sulphur fumes maybe? Either way it reminds me of ebonoak handles.

Here’s a hammer for a change.
I bought this about 20 years ago, I’m still not quite sure why, more of a novelty than anything I guess. I’ve always liked Blue Point hammers and have a number of them in more useful sizes. Their fit and finish was always excellent in the past anyway and I can’t say exactly what it is about them except that they just feel right. Their balance is perfect and I like the longer grip on the handle that allows you to position your hand wherever it suits you. So I bought this one and was disappointed. The head was hung crooked and twisted to the side, and the handle was too long for the size of the head. I threw it in a drawer and never used it. I recently pulled it out of its drawer and rehung it. The head has the eye drifted twisted to the side which explains part of the original bad hang. I rehung on the original handle.

5FD2lUv.jpg

I3gz0bB.jpg

V4vCIY9.jpg

jq3skEo.jpg

TzoLogo.jpg

QjQEaM3.jpg

UjjzZ2t.jpg

Re: Jankee Josh Craftsman.

A fine hang.

That color and shape is from the 50's & 60's. While the radial grind will suffice those convex cheeks will benefit from a banana or half banana grind. You'll notice the difference when chopping.

Back