1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    [​IMG]IMG_20181010_093929 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_20181010_094011 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_20181010_093943 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_20181010_093956 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_20181010_094004 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

2. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    I have a different theory on this. I have never seen one with an ash handle. I suppose they could have but at least most were hickory. Also, I have seen more than my fair share of E&S heads with perfect eyes, and many with wide eyes. As much as I love Oakland axes, and they are great, one area where they are sub par is how well they take abuse. I find the eye walls thinner and softer then typical, so they are more likely to start swelling out a bit if the poll is struck regularly. They are definitely axes for people that know how to use them correctly.

3. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hung this Woodslasher cruiser on a link handle today. I had to order the handle through my local hardware store. It is a decent handle. It could have been better. But the grain is nice and the palm swell is huge. I still need to take some wood off the lower portion of the handle and fix some chatter marks, but I wanted to post it. Thanks for finding this axe it’s home JB!

4. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    "Axes for a gentleman." Or "for the connoisseur".

"Treat your axe as you'd treat your Lady."

(Sorry, couldn't help! I laugh at British humor, too. So give me a pass this time, will you? :) )

Jasper33, A17 and cityofthesouth like this.
  5. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That's the type of rust where a knotted wire cup and some patience can be a big help. The lighter cup brushes don't remove quite as much.

cityofthesouth likes this.
  6. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This little 2.25 Plumb boys ax head was a Father’s Day present from my wife and kids this past year. I finally got around to hanging it. The handle is not one of “Link’s” best examples but I liked the over all shape and the gentle slope of the handle. Walnut wedge drove in nice and deep!

7. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I held out for as long as i could! I've had this nos "dependable" o.p. link haft for a couple months now and I've been waiting for the right head for it. I got this TT Kelly Perfect the other day from my uncle along with a C.H. boys axe from western Germany. I wanted a nos Maine made axe but thought this was a good fit. Best handle i think I'll ever find.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Handle is 30" and the head is exactly 7"x5-1/2". Weighs #3-4.8oz. It's a keepa! They ALL are!! Thanks fer lookin!

8. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Wow,looks like they were made for each other,real nice.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  9. FLINT77

FLINT77

Apr 8, 2013
    Wow, nice 30" handle with a Kelly Perfect jersey, what a great combination.

10. Old Axeman

Old Axeman

Jan 10, 2015
    Excellent job. You are really going to like using this one.

Yankee Josh likes this.
  11. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  12. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  13. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    What the others guys said, WOW! I love everything about that.

Full marks!

14. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    What a little sweetheart of an axe.

15. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    very good results! I didn't even wait 24 hours as directed on the bottle. I swung this axe as hard as i could without being wreckless and it held up perfectly! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm impressed! I was a ways down back and didn't have my peavey with me so i couldn't roll the birch and finish the cut but it did great! I will keep testing and let you guys know how it holds up over time. I really did beat the hell out of it! And I'm not done yet!

Edit; i do have to add that this was a perfect candidate for glueing up. This break was long, clean and had a lot of interlocking ridges inside the break. I misted both sides with a spray bottle and smothered one side very thoroughly with gorilla glue. Left it clamped for 5 hours and over night by a heating vent. A+ for g- glue!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 3:42 PM
  16. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hung this last night. It came to me with a nice vintage handle that did not have a kerf yet. I thinned it a little and cross wedged it. For my third try at cross wedging I was happy! Maybe forth.

17. Jasper33

Jasper33

Jan 18, 2015
    I agree!

18. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Absolutely looks great.
    Stanley. Made in England. The wedge looks similar to The Flag of England...really cool!

Jasper33 and Brian Rust like this.
  19. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    I didn’t even think of that! Good call Miller!!

20. Yankee Josh

Mar 31, 2018
    I hung this one a couple weeks ago. Thought I'd share it cause i feel it's another quality craftsman(vanadium). Funny how your tastes change the longer you collect! The grain sucks on this handle. It was the correct length though so i used it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Have a good day!

Justin Seaux, A17, Jasper33 and 6 others like this.