What did you rehang today?

Could be they were hanging on Ash and wanted the extra wood in the eye. Ash was popular in the NE. Still is. And it's good!

I have a different theory on this. I have never seen one with an ash handle. I suppose they could have but at least most were hickory. Also, I have seen more than my fair share of E&S heads with perfect eyes, and many with wide eyes. As much as I love Oakland axes, and they are great, one area where they are sub par is how well they take abuse. I find the eye walls thinner and softer then typical, so they are more likely to start swelling out a bit if the poll is struck regularly. They are definitely axes for people that know how to use them correctly.

I hung this Woodslasher cruiser on a link handle today. I had to order the handle through my local hardware store. It is a decent handle. It could have been better. But the grain is nice and the palm swell is huge. I still need to take some wood off the lower portion of the handle and fix some chatter marks, but I wanted to post it. Thanks for finding this axe it’s home JB!

I have a different theory on this. I have never seen one with an ash handle. I suppose they could have but at least most were hickory. Also, I have seen more than my fair share of E&S heads with perfect eyes, and many with wide eyes. As much as I love Oakland axes, and they are great, one area where they are sub par is how well they take abuse. I find the eye walls thinner and softer then typical, so they are more likely to start swelling out a bit if the poll is struck regularly. They are definitely axes for people that know how to use them correctly.

"Axes for a gentleman." Or "for the connoisseur".

"Treat your axe as you'd treat your Lady."

(Sorry, couldn't help! I laugh at British humor, too. So give me a pass this time, will you? :) )

This little 2.25 Plumb boys ax head was a Father’s Day present from my wife and kids this past year. I finally got around to hanging it. The handle is not one of “Link’s” best examples but I liked the over all shape and the gentle slope of the handle. Walnut wedge drove in nice and deep!

I held out for as long as i could! I've had this nos "dependable" o.p. link haft for a couple months now and I've been waiting for the right head for it. I got this TT Kelly Perfect the other day from my uncle along with a C.H. boys axe from western Germany. I wanted a nos Maine made axe but thought this was a good fit. Best handle i think I'll ever find.
BPtRAtp.jpg
GM2k4di.jpg
FvlgsTP.jpg
Ssrhf5B.jpg
oyIAw3u.jpg
pDDWTbf.jpg
lVpsJPh.jpg
BkPhV1k.jpg
FtuykmM.jpg

Handle is 30" and the head is exactly 7"x5-1/2". Weighs #3-4.8oz. It's a keepa! They ALL are!! Thanks fer lookin!

very good results! I didn't even wait 24 hours as directed on the bottle. I swung this axe as hard as i could without being wreckless and it held up perfectly!
IDSlX46.jpg
XMrDD2U.jpg
CB5SVAw.jpg
XZKZduc.jpg
nyeRvIZ.jpg
rm4IEJ1.jpg
VcHX4iL.jpg

I'm impressed! I was a ways down back and didn't have my peavey with me so i couldn't roll the birch and finish the cut but it did great! I will keep testing and let you guys know how it holds up over time. I really did beat the hell out of it! And I'm not done yet!

Edit; i do have to add that this was a perfect candidate for glueing up. This break was long, clean and had a lot of interlocking ridges inside the break. I misted both sides with a spray bottle and smothered one side very thoroughly with gorilla glue. Left it clamped for 5 hours and over night by a heating vent. A+ for g- glue!

Last edited:
I hung this one a couple weeks ago. Thought I'd share it cause i feel it's another quality craftsman(vanadium). Funny how your tastes change the longer you collect! The grain sucks on this handle. It was the correct length though so i used it.
cwnT0A2.jpg

iq4HT5p.jpg
Aucb1XQ.jpg
5Jaa7rU.jpg
EeXVWx9.jpg
yxuO0ve.jpg
bca89BO.jpg
OAZxESW.jpg
vWOG9ab.jpg

Have a good day!

Back