What folding lockback knife would James Bond carry?

The British government is a bit short on money at the moment and wants to suck up to the Chinese so one of those cheap but well made flippers from China.

The British government is a bit short on money at the moment and wants to suck up to the Chinese so one of those cheap but well made flippers from China.

No, no-no. :)

Maybe they are short on money because they spent it all on 00's and their gear?! ;)

Going back a few years to the Rolex/PPK days I'd say that as a business executive from "Universal Exports" ( Commander Bond's cover while traveling ) He would carry items a business man would carry. Rolex's back then were something a business man just might carry. The Submariner was a working model and not a piece of Jewlery. My cousin was Special Forces enlisted and that was the model he carried on his wrist daily. For a folding knife I'm going to go with a premium brand available then. Gerber. The Sportsman 2 in "V" (vascowear) to be exact. It looked like a plain brass framed lock back but had very high performing steel that not many people would have known or cared about. The knife itself was stout enough to be used as a weapon in an emergency and looked just one of tens of thousands of other Gerbers carried by people all across the spectrum from ministers to miners. My old one still performs up to 2017 standards steel wise.

Joe

The Mastiff,
Joe,

Gerber. The Sportsman 2 in "V" (vascowear) . . . a plain brass framed lock back but had very high performing steel . . . My old one still performs up to 2017 standards steel wise.

and no photo ? ? ? ?
:( :( :) :( :(

Believe it or not I don't have a camera. Not even a cell phone. :eek: My old one died and I never got a new one. I'm retired and a man of leisure now. :)

It just looks like a regular Sportsman 2 except it says "V" steel. Strangely enough it came with about a 55 degree inclusive edge but it shaved arm hairs smoothly.

Joe

Going back a few years to the Rolex/PPK days I'd say that as a business executive from "Universal Exports" ( Commander Bond's cover while traveling ) He would carry items a business man would carry. Rolex's back then were something a business man just might carry. The Submariner was a working model and not a piece of Jewlery. My cousin was Special Forces enlisted and that was the model he carried on his wrist daily. For a folding knife I'm going to go with a premium brand available then. Gerber. The Sportsman 2 in "V" (vascowear) to be exact. It looked like a plain brass framed lock back but had very high performing steel that not many people would have known or cared about. The knife itself was stout enough to be used as a weapon in an emergency and looked just one of tens of thousands of other Gerbers carried by people all across the spectrum from ministers to miners. My old one still performs up to 2017 standards steel wise.

Joe
Going back a few years to the Rolex/PPK days I'd say that as a business executive from "Universal Exports

I think those knives started in the 1980's and was after Connery years which were in the 1960's. So might as well be a folder from recent years because the 80's was not that l;ong ago.

remember when I said :

And speaking of seeing Bond . . . I can only see him with a Cold Steel Spike. Terribly unsophisticated of me . . . . but there it is.

Something I would never dreeeeaaaaam of owning but then I don't hang off buildings by a shoe lace with a woman around my neck anchored only by my knife

I bought the knife.
Looks like I have moved deeper into this insidious hobby . . . I have begun to buy knives I have no use for but just bought it because I think it is cool. This could get expensive.

No this is the last one. No more. Why would I buy a knife I won't use ?
Like that Laredo Bowie. . . . . yah . . . Laredo Bowie . . . that's a pretty cool knife I would never use.

ahOh

"Bond" originally carried a PPK in .32 ACP (after "Q" forced him to give up his Beretta .25). I feel that Bond would have carried the SOE "lapel dagger" that has been illustrated.

It should be noted that, in Flemmings novels, Bond never carried a Walther PPK in 9mm Kurz (.380 ACP or 9 x 17 Browning). The movies were wrong!

And just for the sake of completeness, the picture in the OP is of a PPK/s (in .380 auto, not .32 auto), not a PPK. The PPK was made illegal to import into the US by the Gun Control Act of 1968, and so a PPK slide and barrel were put on a PP frame so as to meet certain arbitrary criteria that would allow import. So the PPK/s depicted is a bit larger than a PPK.

I believe Mr. Bond would carry only a practical gentlemen's knife for everyday use. He would never bring a knife to a gunfight!

Ian Fleming's last James Bond stories were published in 1966. The Buck 110 was about it for lockbacks on the market. I can't see him sporting a belt sheath under his tux, or even under the tails of a Sea Island cotton shirt. So maybe an Italian switchblade, or more likely a gentleman's folder from Sheffield or Solingen.

So if the novel version of James bond carried a .32 caliber instead of a .380 then that means he was even more minimalist.

So what knife would he carry?

I know this isn't locking but it is minimalist and it strikes me recently, because I just got it recently, that it is elegant enough that James would carry it at times. Doesn't mean he doesn't have another knife that also falls easily to hand.

It is, to me, just beautiful ! ! !
It has that grand piano gloss black, just a hint of polished brass in the pins and liners, the blade is so beautifully shaped only to perhaps be out done by the sensuous curves of the handle and the two together are irresistible.

Since it is impossible to take the kind of photo I wish at the moment here are more than one to try to capture the details.

The gloss on the polished black scales
IMG_5423.JPG

The shape of the blade and handle when open
IMG_5416.JPG

And when closed.
IMG_5426.jpg

What lockback knives are made in Britain today? They are illegal there. No lockbacks allowed.
.....actually this appears to be incorrect. Lockbacks (lock knives) are NOT illegal to possess or use (such as for camping, hunting etc), they are however treated the same as fixed blades when carried and to do so you need a "good reason" ie: employment, exhibition and yes the case would be able to be made for hunting/camping etc etc. I believe the confusion comes in that you do not require a "good reason" for a folding knife if it DOES NOT have a locking blade and the blade is under 3 inches in length. Locking and/or fixed blade knives do not specifically fall into the illegal category. It's a little like guns being "illegal" in Australia.. ;)

Back now to our scheduled programming.... 007 would have died (HIV/AIDS) or gone insane (Syphilis) from a sexually transmitted disease years ago.... ;) In the case of the later I suspect they would limit him to something from the Nerf line of EDC blades. Allowing the fiction to continue however....something from CRK no doubt.... :D :D

Last edited:
Back