What Knife to you leave in your Car or Truck?

Condor Bushlore, now that deer season is over.
I had been carrying Cold Steel's Light Hunter for gutting and a Finn Bear for boning out. A bit of a test before I carry only the two on backpack hunting trip.

An old USA-made Schrade LB8 in my console and a tramontina machete in my trunk. Sometimes, I have one of my Leathermans in my console as well.

Cold Steel Large Twistloc and a Gerber Multitool, now if ya include the stuff in my pockets and bag you'd have a small knife store.

I carry three

1. Leatherman ST300 for General Maintenance
2. Vic Rescue Tool for well Vehicle Rescue/Extraction
3. Buck Mini Buck to open stuff like packages from stores and cutting small stuff like strings.

Neat thread, I like seeing what other people keep in their cars and such :)

Gerber Diesel multi-tool
Scrapyard 711 (replaced an ESEE 5)
Cold Steel American Lawman
usually some variety of tomahawk or hatchet

Benchmade/Emerson 975 Satin in the overhead/sunglass compartment and a Benchmade/Warn 583-1 A/O in the lower forward center console.

Gerber LMF II ( present from dad ) Gerber Beat Grills multi-tool ( present from mom ) and a Schrade lock back. Aside from the sentimental value there's nothing fancy here.

I have a Gerber LMF II in the glove box.

lol I also have a gerber LMF II in my truck along with a gerber multitool. This must be a trend or something.

Gerber LMF II ( present from dad ) Gerber Beat Grills multi-tool ( present from mom ) and a Schrade lock back. Aside from the sentimental value there's nothing fancy here.

That is an interesting coincidence about the LMF II. I have no other use for the knife and it has poor used resale value, so I thought it'd be a good knife to just keep in my jeep for emergency purposes (glass breaker and whatnot).

Some PoS Smith and Wesson necker, fixed blade, badge thing, I got for free with a Spyderco knock off that the guy swore was real because he bought it at a gun show. (Nice sentence huh?) It's serrated and hawk billed. I figure if I need to cut a seatbelt it will do if I can't get at what's in my pocket. Single use throwaway.

My current glove box knife is a Spyderco Persistence with blue G10, cheap, light, and a lot of blade for the buck.

SOG SEAL pup

fr_691_size880_zpsdce1c5be.jpeg

Not sure of the model # but it's a Buck. It has a 112 blade with a Kraton Handle. Found at a flea market. I like my 112 but this was too thick to carry so it wound up in the glovebox.

:cool: The topic is a good one. I can only speak for myself but I have aswered this question with a three part answer:

Part 1 Machete in the trunk. I live in the tropics, and I expect that fallen branches and other obstacles will need to be cleared from the road when the next typhoon comes (and it will come). More than once, I have also used the machete to cut branches to put under tires slipping in mud and to cut away grass that has entangled itself on the undercarriage. A machete can also be a weapon, if needed, against feral dogs or feral people.
Part 2 Extremely sharp, small blade easily accessible to the driver in case a seat belt needs to be cut away when the release buckle is jammed. The need for this has already been discussed in other places (see Jackknife Tales "Pocketknife Rescue").
Part 3 Bowie Knife, KBAR, zombie stabber and vampire killer. For me, this is not likely to be needed and could cause problems with law enforcement if ever used. I am not Jim Bowie or a combat Marine, so my best bet is to stay away from places where this kind of knife might be needed. Knives in Part 1 and Part 2, supplemented by my pocket knife, should be all that this schoolteacher needs.
Faiaoga:cool:

Last edited:
I keep a Kershaw Black Gulch in the center console of my Ranger.

Classical knife design, like a small Buck 110, but it's a decent blade if I need one that I can trash and not feel to bad about.

What do you think of the nimravus? Would you use it for outdoor/camping/hunting use, or just protection?

Back