What knife would you like to see with MagnaCut blade steel?

Mule
K2

Manix3XL(having only slightly less height through the blade and handle)

SpydieChef with magnacut would be great. I really like the knife and better edge retention would be welcomed. 3V in a small folder has always been a puzzle to me, given the available alternatives.

I am shocked and disturbed that no one has mentioned the Endura yet! That would be my choice.

SpydieChef with magnacut would be great. I really like the knife and better edge retention would be welcomed. 3V in a small folder has always been a puzzle to me, given the available alternatives.
Even in small folders, I think a lot of people value hardness, toughness (and ease of sharpening) over abrasion resistance. I certainly prefer being able to achieve a thinner edge and a smoother edge.

Even in small folders, I think a lot of people value hardness, toughness (and ease of sharpening) over abrasion resistance. I certainly prefer being able to achieve a thinner edge and a smoother edge.
Sure, but if that is the case you would pick 4V, CPM-Cruwear, or MagnaCut over 3V. All of these are as tough or maybe tougher at higher hardness and achieve high hardness easier than 3V. MagnaCut also has the smallest carbides, so should have highest edge stability. So if you want thin, stable edges you would not pick 3V. MagnaCut also seems to be easier to grind than the others, time will tell, but might also be easier to sharpen.

Magnacut has a higher volume of carbides than 3V, Z-Tuff, and AEB-L. The maximum size of carbides appears to be very similar. 3V, Z-Tuff, and AEB-L all should be tougher and easier to grind for a given hardness level because of the reduced carbide volume.

It will be interesting to see what hardness levels production companies are able to achieve, with Magnacut. From reading Larrin's article, it seems like production companies will only be able to achieve hardnesses between 60.5 to 62 HRC, which seems similar to the production hardness range for 3V, Z-Tuff, and AEB-L. I think Magnacut will have a slight edge in hardness, but it definitely will not be tougher.

I should also note that I think someone like Larrin can also improve on the lower carbide PM tool steels, like Z-Tuff and 3V. I think he can increase the hardness of those steels, without sacrificing much toughness. If Magnacut proves to be a commercial success, I am hopeful Larrin will push the envelope on lower carbide steels.

If toughness is your main goal then Z-tuff or 3V at lower hardness, ~60-61 HRC makes sense. MagnaCut shines in being very stainless and still being tough at 63-64 HRC, so these higher hardness levels is where it makes sense or if excellent corrosion resistance is what you need. In a small folder I don't see the need for Z-Tuff or 3V level toughness. If you want very thin edges that are stable you need higher hardness otherwise you are substituting chipping for rolling or deformation. Your application will dictate what is best, but small folders are mostly used to cut, paper, cardboard, zip ties, rope, thin wires, etc. For these higher wear resistance and hardness with decent toughness seems to work better. At 64 MagnaCut looks to be as tough as AEB-L at the same hardness, at least in the specific tests that Larrin showed.

I am hoping that Spyderco will treat it around 63-64 since they are known to push the envelop with the hardness of the steels they use. If this happens I can see MagnaCut replacing many currently used steels.

Sure, but if that is the case you would pick 4V, CPM-Cruwear, or MagnaCut over 3V. All of these are as tough or maybe tougher at higher hardness and achieve high hardness easier than 3V. MagnaCut also has the smallest carbides, so should have highest edge stability. So if you want thin, stable edges you would not pick 3V. MagnaCut also seems to be easier to grind than the others, time will tell, but might also be easier to sharpen.

Except, from tests I've seen posted 4V/CPM Cruwear are not tougher than 3v....they are about 1/2 the toughness at the hardness they are run at...
So you are trading significant toughness for the bump in wear resistance.

IMO spyderco has spy27 In their arsenal of steel, they should use it , forget S35v, and MAGA
they are all in the same family line, so use spy27

Except, from tests I've seen posted 4V/CPM Cruwear are not tougher than 3v....they are about 1/2 the toughness at the hardness they are run at...
So you are trading significant toughness for the bump in wear resistance.

3V is tougher at 60-61 HRC, I am not arguing that it is not. I am questioning the need for such toughness in a small knife and especially a small folder. A small knife is a cutter first and foremost, so you want as much cutting ability as possible this requires thin and stable edges. For that you want higher hardness, enough toughness at that hardness and because you have very little edge length, you want higher wear resistance. 3V will make an excellent knife, but to me for a small knife I would prefer the other steels mentioned. They are tough enough for small blades, get harder easier, so deform less and are more wear resistant, because of this edges last longer. Look at what the guys in cutting competitions do with 4V competition cutters, they could use 3V, but most don't, so even there 3V toughness is not necessary because you can do a lot with geometry to achieve more toughness. For me, for my uses a small blade in 4V/Cruwear/MagnaCut at 63-64RC is preferred to 3V at 60-61RC even though 3V blade will be at least twice as tough. In any case this thread is not about 3V.

MagnaCut has all the qualities you want in a knife steel. It is significantly tougher than spy27, s35vn, XHP and other commonly used steels. It would be great if Spyderco started using it instead of spy27, s35vn and s30v. It is also very stainless, so in some cases it can also replace lc200n, not in all cases the saltwater series might still benefit from extra corrosion resistance. Something like spydiechef is a perfect platform for harder MagnaCut.

Back