What knife would you use to kill a bear?

Can't be huge bear then.
He's not going to hold a huge bear in a headlock who is attacking him.
Ever seen a bear storming at a person? The mass of it alone will make you land on your back in a split second.
I don't think that Wade has been in that kind of situation.
He sounds more like a Lynn Thompson version, who is sitting in a tree waiting or a kaffer buffel to pass by, and then throw a spear in its back and waiting for it succumb.

I certainly am entitled to my opinions.
Especially regarding people like the Wade type.
Who have no respect for other life whatsoever.

Last edited:
real men don't kill bears.
they ride them.
51uMYuWGcRL._SX425_.jpg

No, the dogs were held back on leashes during the man on beast combat, partly because, in the melee, the dogs likely would also attack Hampton. Before the war, the holders were slaves. After the war, the holders were the same family friends, but they were paid wages.

Great soldiers don't apologize for enjoying triumph over the enemy of their homeland.

You may not have read that, in the early days of the Colonies and early USA history, that, in some regions, bear meat was often more of a staple than venison. But I agree that Hampton did not need to kill all the bears he killed. It was not a good thing.

And you are entitled to your own opinion regarding your comments.
"family friends"? :rolleyes:

Hey Agnes,
Come over to Whine and Cheese. There's a great bunch of guys over there that would get a big kick out all your knowledge.--KV

Can't be huge bear then.
He's not going to hold a huge bear in a headlock who is attacking him.
Ever seen a bear storming at a person? The mass of it alone will make you land on your back in a split second.
I don't think that Wade has been in that kind of situation.
He sounds more like a Lynn Thompson version, who is sitting in a tree waiting ofr a kaffer buffel to pass by, and then throw a spear in its back and waiting for it succumb.

I certainly am entitled to my opinions.
Especially regarding people like the Wade type.
Who have no respect for other life whatsoever.

I am new to this forum. Is there no rule against political rants? I am not talking about politics here, just about a man who had a hobby of hand to hand combat with bears. And I don't know the size of the bears. Maybe they were tiny new born cubs and he killed them with nail clippers. Who knows? But I am not going to tiptoe around any forum and hope to avoid offending folks with a political agenda. It is more enjoyable to just be polite and respectful of others.

Has Smatchet been said? Because the answer is obviously Smatchet:thumbsup:

I am new to this forum. Is there no rule against political rants? I am not talking about politics here, just about a man who had a hobby of hand to hand combat with bears. And I don't know the size of the bears. Maybe they were tiny new born cubs and he killed them with nail clippers. Who knows? But I am not going to tiptoe around any forum and hope to avoid offending folks with a political agenda. It is more enjoyable to just be polite and respectful of others.
I don't like the Wade type of men.
I'm not tiptoeing around either ;-).
Unless you're a member or a sympathisant of the KKK. And that sort of people. You should not be offended.

For those interested, one of the karate greats, Mas Oyama, used to fight bulls bare handed.
Greg Lightfoot, among others, a great Canadian knifemaker used to and probably still does make and use knives for hunting boar. The old timers no doubt took some bears with Bowies and the like.
I'm not sure talking about the non-knife aspects of such things is out of limits here, that a call for your Mod and the SuperMods, but despite the fun and sarcastic comments which I trust are OK, there are better and worse knives for hunting or fighting animals ( or people ) so there is a serious conversation that's possible.
If you've ever been up close to a big Grizzly or a Polar Bear, your chances against a motivated monster like that with any knife are not good ( they can outrun a horse over short distances and break the back of a moose with one swipe), but it has been done.

Gene Moe was an impressive story.
Maybe not the biggest bear to be found. Not a tiny one either. And his knife was not the biggest either.
The Buck 110.

Back