What knife would you use to kill a bear?

don't know about using a knife to kill a bear, but i would use this one to skin it...

i-wGwgGFs-L.jpg

Time to bring some fun back into.this post! I just watched the movie" Back Country " and it was okay. Its about the two folks Mark Jordan and Jacqueline who were attacked by a predatory black bear. Since I always keep my knife on my hip, which I either carry my Tops Condor Alert, or my A.G. Russell Mark II Combat Bowie, or my Schrade Schf9. However if Im in bear country, I trust my Tops which is 1095 versus the A.G. Russell Mark II Combat Bowie which is AUS-8 stainless and has a really thin but sharp tip. Both of these blades have over an 8" blade, good for deep penetration. I still would make a spear though, especially if you see the bear coming, jam the bottom of the spear into the ground or against something solid and let it run right into it. I figure if Im gonna die, the animal thats trying to kill/eat me, its going to get the best fight I've I've ever put up in my life.

If we are in the woods and run across an angry/hungry bear, I do not need to be faster than the bear. I just need to be faster than you.

Something like this wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

1078.jpg

That's the right idea. These spears were used for bear-hunting for centuries before we developed modern firearms and such. The rear part was pointy because they would stick it in the ground and let the bear "fall" on the spear.
3mq5lHz.jpg

This is a 17th century example:
Rogatina_17_GIM.jpg

I'd want more reach than a smatchet, I'm thinking at least a bastard sized broadsword. Although if you were fast enough, a rapier would be very effective, jam it into a nostril, that might take the fight out of it.

Spear (such as shown above) if I could to choose a weapon beforehand along with my Blackjack 1-7.

I aint lugging around 2 lbs of blade based upon some fantasy. I carry a 1 lb pocket 9mm cause I've been attacked, or nearly attacked, a dozen times by men or dogs. The knife is a simple, low cost folder, cause I lose one every few months. :) I can handle a $10 loss now and then, but a $100 loss that often would really upset me.

when you can toss up a couple of soda cans, draw from ccw and hit both in midair, you've got a shot at making a brain hit as a bear closes with you, but a bear attack is about 30,000x less likely than being attacked by men or dogs.

alewn is still banned.

I'd want more reach than a smatchet, I'm thinking at least a bastard sized broadsword. Although if you were fast enough, a rapier would be very effective, jam it into a nostril, that might take the fight out of it.
That would work effectively. The bear wouldn't like that at all.

Then again , if one is that accurate, then you could stab it in the eye as well.
No chance the bear would ever win.

i currently have two knives in my arsenal for the sole purpose of fending off any black bears that get too close for comfort. The first knife, the slasher, is for when i have the room for some maneuvering, such as hiking a trail or fishing a stream, etc. My second choice, the poker, is reserved for close quarters combat, such as while spelunking or inside my tent trying to get some shut-eye...

Cold Steel O Tanto Dragonfly, aka, The Slasher...
dragonfly-L.jpg
This is the slasher? Not only, I assume.
The first thing I thought when seeing it was , sharp tip, and narrow blade.
Perfect for stabbing.

The CRKT Hisshou seems a good choice as well.
Can slash and poke nicely I would say.

Interesting.
The Tops Wild Pig Hunter has the pig sticker lines.
But it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cold Steel Tanto (with Japanese historical style Tanto tip) is the better stabber of the two.

That tip is very acute and well suited for penetration.
It has the looks of the CRKT Hissatsu. And having that knife, I know how extremely good it is at stabbing.

To kill a bear? Probably a knife that fired out a .308 rifle.

But jokingly a Kabar! *wink to those in the know*

Now if I actually had to use a knife. Probably a knife at the end of a very long stick. A spear it's called.

To kill a bear? Probably a knife that fired out a .308 rifle.

But jokingly a Kabar! *wink to those in the know*

Now if I actually had to use a knife. Probably a knife at the end of a very long stick. A spear it's called.
It also depends on how HUGE the bear is.
Thinking of those bears I saw in the documentary on the guy Tomothy Treadwell...
Those were a bit on the 'too large' side to go wrestle with a knife.

Maybe I would try the 'Go away bear, go away', with a high pitch voice, as Timothy did for over 13 years before his number was up.
It seemed to work well for a long time..

Back