What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

IMAG3752bf.jpg

^^^ Nice page starter, Fred!!^^^:thumbup:

A Barlow makes a wonderful gift!! And I have been the recipient of a wonderful TC!:) (Imagine that!!)
This is a first run, as you can see. It was especially welcome, since I have misplaced Old Boiley, also a first run; (I know it's around here somewhere!!):grumpy:

The giftors were concerned that I no longer had a pristine copy of my first Barlow, and went WAYYYY beyond the call of duty!:eek:

TC%20first%20run%20D%20and%20P%201_zpsgqyfzpuu.jpg

TC%20first%20run%20D%20and%20P%202_zpsegx1hcll.jpg

They sent it to me some weeks ago, and I wanted to find O.B. to do a comparison with one that has been carried for a few years - over 4 years!! Alas no luck, but this thank you is long overdue!
I consider these generous people the Dynamic Duo!! Their respective enthusiasm helps keep me smiling, and enjoying this knifely game that we play, so much more!!
Thanks Paul and Duncan!! Thank you very much!!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Charlie, that is a beautiful TC. Rightly considered a Grail by most if not all of us addicted to this wonderful creation from you and the fine folks at Great Eastern. It is only fitting for it to be back with you! :cool: As for Paul and Duncan, we know they just don't come any finer than these two gentlemen! :)

Charlie, that is a beautiful TC. Rightly considered a Grail by most if not all of us addicted to this wonderful creation from you and the fine folks at Great Eastern. It is only fitting for it to be back with you! :cool: As for Paul and Duncan, we know they just don't come any finer than these two gentlemen! :)
Couldn't have said it better. :thumbup:

hey all! i'm pretty new to traditionals, but in the short time i've been carrying them i've really grown to love the look of gec's barlow offerings -- does anyone know how often they make knives in the 77 pattern?

videorecipes, if you look up Barry- he is a awesome guy and will help you with any requests on the GEC line, here is his website....

http://gunstockjacksknives.com/

or to communicate with Barry......... gunstockjack@embarqmail.com you wont get a fairer person to deal with and I recommend him 100% for trustworthiness.
Keep an eye out in the Exchange area because the 77's come up now and then, Charlie did a 77 Washington Jack that is most probably the better knife you can get for the asking price- unbelievable knife and quality from GEC.

Charlie, What a sight to see the Copperhead in your scanner! That exercise was probably the most enjoyed thing that Paul and I could do for you my friend - it is nothing when you see what you do for me, Paul and just about everyone else here in the Blade Forums, yet alone the knife world needing such a person as yourself, we would indeed be lost without you Charlie, not only because of your knowledge-but mainly because you are Charlie - a wonderful person.

videorecipes, if you look up Barry- he is a awesome guy and will help you with any requests on the GEC line, here is his website....

http://gunstockjacksknives.com/

or to communicate with Barry......... gunstockjack@embarqmail.com you wont get a fairer person to deal with and I recommend him 100% for trustworthiness.
Keep an eye out in the Exchange area because the 77's come up now and then, Charlie did a 77 Washington Jack that is most probably the better knife you can get for the asking price- unbelievable knife and quality from GEC.

Charlie, What a sight to see the Copperhead in your scanner! That exercise was probably the most enjoyed thing that Paul and I could do for you my friend - it is nothing when you see what you do for me, Paul and just about everyone else here in the Blade Forums, yet alone the knife world needing such a person as yourself, we would indeed be lost without you Charlie, not only because of your knowledge-but mainly because you are Charlie - a wonderful person.

thanks for the info!

I now have a Queen Red Stag Bone Barlow (#69 1/2). The knife is one of Queen's masterpieces! The fit and finish of the unit is truly a work of art and the blades are sharp. (Putting a razor edge on it will take a bit of work, but after all, it is D2). The "walk and talk" is perfect with well-defined half-stops. I adore the Red Stag Bone, and the scales are nicely blended with the liners. I am a "happy camper" and plan to carry this jewel regularly until I shuffle off this "mortal coil".

This is a prime example of the "perfect Barlow"!

The defense... rests.

That was written in "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer":
He went to a rotten log near at hand and began to dig under one end of it with his Barlow knife. He soon struck wood that sounded hollow.
Tom's "real Barlow" was out at once, and he had not dug four inches before he struck wood.

I wonder, can any of today's Barlows handle such usage?

A Barlow makes a wonderful gift!! And I have been the recipient of a wonderful TC!:) (Imagine that!!)
This is a first run, as you can see. It was especially welcome, since I have misplaced Old Boiley, also a first run; (I know it's around here somewhere!!):grumpy:

The giftors were concerned that I no longer had a pristine copy of my first Barlow, and went WAYYYY beyond the call of duty!:eek:

TC%20first%20run%20D%20and%20P%201_zpsgqyfzpuu.jpg

TC%20first%20run%20D%20and%20P%202_zpsegx1hcll.jpg

They sent it to me some weeks ago, and I wanted to find O.B. to do a comparison with one that has been carried for a few years - over 4 years!! Alas no luck, but this thank you is long overdue!
I consider these generous people the Dynamic Duo!! Their respective enthusiasm helps keep me smiling, and enjoying this knifely game that we play, so much more!!

Fantastic! :D :thumbup: Duncan and Paul are two of the finest fellers ever, as are you Charlie :) :thumbup:

Here's the Barlow Duncan gifted me when we met up in Sheffield :)

Charlie, a beauty that lovely Copperhead is:thumbup:

It was without a doubt the most satisfying thing I have been a part of while here on bladeforums. Duncan, the legendary mastermind is the main reason this came to fruition. A year or more in the making as we had conversed about this quest fro sometime. It just wasn't right that you of ALL people did not possess this knife. So I am so happy to have paired up with that crazed Kiwi to have made it possible for that version in particular to be were it should rightfully be:thumbup:

Now it was shipped here and I apologise Charlie but I just had to pose with such a rare and elusive treasure....shamefully selfish on my part:eek: but temptation was simply to great:D

NZC7EN.jpg

FlvoIj.jpg

vOf9sZ.jpg

Charlie, I echo what Duncan said about your generosity, it knows no bounds as Duncan and myself and COUNTLESS others have been such lucky recipients. Your kindness and knowledge is never ending and we thank you immensely.

THANK YOU Charlie, thank you:thumbup:

^^^ Nice page starter, Fred!!^^^:thumbup:

Wow! That is quite a generous gift Charlie. Isn't it wonderful to have such friends? Paul and Duncan are two of the best!

Nice picture Paul!! Adds to the history of the knife's trek round the community!
Thanks so much, to you and Duncan, for the very fine gift!!!!:thumbup:

Also, now I know who to look for in Titusville this year!!:D

Cool Photo Paul - that's one I havent got yet - a personal photo of the Elusive CopperHead Sawcut Bone!:eek:

i have had a wee catch up on some photo's - please forgive me - not outdoorsies - plain old inside- But on Beautiful NZ Native Rimu though :):thumbup:

Ok time to Wheel them out.......

A very special Case Red Bone - That I carried on My Wedding Day and it was gifted to me by a friend, and another I picked up a wee while ago...

Ohhhhh Man...... the saying "Eye Candy" comes to mind to me here....

Back