What Survival Bag do you use?

Yeah, I've watched that before. Everything is too far away. I was hoping for some nice close-ups in good light. On the Maxpedition site, the bags look Photoshopped as far as color. The next two pics are clearly of the same bag (as is every picture of the Falcon II). Every wrinkle and fold is the same. Obviously, the photos are not separate photos, so I'm curious how true-to-life the colors are. I'm deciding between the olive and the foliage BTW. Another question: I read where Maxpedition was starting to match zippers to bag color, and I see it with the foliage below. Not true of the olive drab?

0513g_detail.jpg

0513f_detail.jpg

DUDE! Don't worry about the zippers!
Next thing we hear, you'll be matching the zippers to your pumps... err... I mean, tennis shoes! :D You're in Tennessee, not Afghanistan. :)

But seriously, I went through a lot of them same issue with Foliage vs. ... errr. Olive? To the point that I tried to change my order after I placed it, and wasn't positive what i was actually going to get. The best I read was the foliage is olive plus a healthy dose of gray. I got olive, and I'm very happy with it.

OBTW, I have no stinkin' idea what the zippers look like on my olive Condor II. I think they are black, along with the quick-releases.

Currently a Kelti Redwing 3100. Lot's of built in organization and a huge main compartment. Swallows up gear but cinches down when partially loaded.

guyon - buy both colors and send me the one you don't like!

p.s. i think the foliage looks better.

To be serious about the zippers, I sort of like the black against the green. I just wondered if, in the supply chain, there is a newer batch of packs that are green on green. It stinks to order one thing and get something different, even if it's only slightly different.

As for colors, I'm leaning toward the olive myself. However, the vendors are not really good about distinguishing the Maxpedition greens in their images. In some, the foliage looks... well... more like olive. In others, the foliage just looks like straight gray. That's why I asked above if anybody has a really clear comparison pic.

I'm leaning more and more toward the olive. I don't care if anyone thinks it's "military." (Actually, most of the military stuff I see these days is khaki (tan) or digital ACU.) The foliage green seen above just doesn't look green at all to me; it just looks gray.

DUDE! Don't worry about the zippers!
Next thing we hear, you'll be matching the zippers to your pumps.

Next thing we hear, you'll be matching the zippers to your Crocs.

Fixed it.

:D:thumbup:

I don't have anything foliage, I mean ANYTHING. Even my Jeep is olive! So I can't help you on the foliage color. I know that a couple of ACU things that I have, which I think use the foliage color, look gray with just a hint of green.

By the way, I'm 99% certain the zippers on my Condor II are black, the more I think about it. I'll take a look and post back later.

i have several Maxped foliage items and the second pic is very close to being representative of the color (have nothing in olive)

it's definitely a green-grey

Thanks, men. This is why I sometimes wish that mods would let outdoor gear threads stay in W&SS. I've gotten more response and help here in a late-page (slight) hijack than I did in an entire thread in Gadgets & Gear.

Another question: I read where Maxpedition was starting to match zippers to bag color, and I see it with the foliage below. Not true of the olive drab?

0513g_detail.jpg

0513f_detail.jpg

The zippers on my "khaki" Falcon II match the bag color

IMG_1381.jpg

Guyon, I don't know if these late-night photos help; I can try again tomorrow in daylight (sort of :rolleyes: ) if you want. Anyway, here they are. Click on them for a (much) bigger picture. OG jumbo on the left, FG sabercat on the right.

I like the FG but it's definitely grey with a hint of green. The zippers on all my FG kit (sabercat, two rucksacks and other pouches) are colour matched.

The security recorder under the sabercat is the standard grey-box colour. It's just by pure coincidence that it was where I chose to prop the kit :D

Last edited:
Bam. And foxyrick comes through. Thanks, man. That's exactly what I was looking for, and I must say that the Maxpedition stock photos are pretty good, given your shots. I think I'm going to go for the olive. I just like the greener color.

I'll post up some pics of my Falcon II when I get it. Am thinking about two outer pouches... one, a removable kit pouch for a few essentials that I can put on my belt if I want, and two, a pouch for my Garmin GPS.

Going to have to pick me up some olive drab Crocs. However, there is another option...

0513of_detail.jpg

croc_cayman_big_orange.jpg

Last edited:
Foxyrick's picture of the olive Jumbo depicts a true color of the olive, so I'd quite trust it with respect to the foliage.

I just wish my friggin' Molle II pack would launch this way. I placed an order with armygear last Friday, and it is still just showing "pending" in the status. Anyone else had any problem with those guys? I'm a little disappointed with them.

No experience with armygear. My last Maxpedition stuff came from LA Police Gear, and I was pretty pleased with service.

I put a bunch of stuff in an LAPG cart last night just to drool. Probably won't order for another few weeks, but I had a Falcon II, a single sleeve pouch (for Surefire 6P), a large cell/walkie talkie pouch (for Garmin 60CSx GPS), a set of Grimlocks, and a Camelbak Storm 100 oz. bladder. The price was pretty good for that set-up IMO. I'm going to shop around a little more, but the problem with some places (for me at least) is that they have the pack but not some of the accessories I want.

This review and the accompanying pics (of an olive Falcon II) are quite good.
http://briarpatchoutdoors.educationforthesoul.com/articles/maxpedition_falcon_II_review.html Good pic from that review...

Falcon_II-01.jpg

I ordered my Molle II pack from armygear Monday, Dec. 6 and got it to my door yesterday -- eight days isn't bad for the holidays. Plus they demonstrated some great customer service when taking my order.....and amending it based on my fickle mind. :D I think they're some of the good guys.

I ordered my Molle II pack from armygear Monday, Dec. 6 and got it to my door yesterday -- eight days isn't bad for the holidays. Plus they demonstrated some great customer service when taking my order.....and amending it based on my fickle mind. :D I think they're some of the good guys.

Thanks moogoogaidan. That's good service in my opinion, too. If it gets to me within 8 to 10 days over the holiday, that works for me. I was just beginning to wonder when it had been at least 3.5 business days with no change of status on their site.

I just wish my friggin' Molle II pack would launch this way. I placed an order with armygear last Friday, and it is still just showing "pending" in the status. Anyone else had any problem with those guys? I'm a little disappointed with them.

Seems like mine took a little longer than other places. Eight days sounds about right. It's a small outfit and I get the impression they're rural.

Seems like mine took a little longer than other places. Eight days sounds about right. It's a small outfit and I get the impression they're rural.

Thanks. Sounds like you probably have it right. Just small and rural.

Back