What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

@pertinux As has been mentioned, it looks as if that chest originally had a cover or a lid that could be opened, exposing those slots. Neat mystery!

Two today. Much work to be done.

Pop0oAKh.jpg

Nice.
That Kalevala sheath looks like it might be relatively easy to make. (I mean the upper one, if I got the name wrong.) But I like the compactness of the sewn-up-the-back ones.

Kalevala is a famous Finnish poem.

That style of sheath is:

Kalanpyrstötuppi / kalatuppi.

Fish Tail Sheath / Fish Sheath.

It is almost too dark in the morning to take a picture. I may have to switch to afternoon pictures. This leaf was in the same place I left it yesterday. View attachment 786644
That's a beautiful knife Travman :thumbsup:. I'm super into the whittlers patterns, got a TV humpback on the way. And I am enjoying seeing what else is out there. More info on that Case please:)

Michael

I love this shot! Great looking well-loved ebony on that 15.

Thank you! Unfortunately I cannot take credit for the well-loved state of the ebony, though I most certainly appreciate it. It is one heck of a user, thanks again @SadSappySucker !

This is a fantastic picture! I love the clean, elegant lines and the subtle awesomeness this knife presents. A terrific beauty!

Pony Jack, my first knife in ebony and I'm really liking it!!!
DNoi0QZ.jpg

Those little Pony Jacks are something else, I've enjoyed seeing @pertinux's every time she posts it and I particularly enjoyed reading her thoughts on the pattern as well. I am looking forward to seeing more of yours in the not so distant future!

Nice pairing Dylan :thumbsup: Red and black are the colours of Sheffield Amateur Football Club, the oldest (soccer) football club in the world ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack! I'd like to say that the color coordination was more than just a coincidence but sadly not. However, red and black have become two of my favorite colors when it comes to handle materials on knives so I will say that the Sheffield Amateur Football Club has impeccable taste! ;) It is always good to hear the rich history that Sheffield is in possession of. Excellent pair of knives today, by the way.

Fettlin' these two...
View attachment 786633
Whilst carrying my TC Barlow:
View attachment 786634

That TC checks a lot of boxes for me. Spear point? Check! Long Pull? Check! Dark wood (Walnut?)? Double Check!! Fantastic knife!

Oh, I do like that Case, what a handsome looking knife!

I am carrying these two again today.

Z1j8PtZ.jpg

Thanks, Jack! I'd like to say that the color coordination was more than just a coincidence but sadly not. However, red and black have become two of my favorite colors when it comes to handle materials on knives so I will say that the Sheffield Amateur Football Club has impeccable taste! ;) It is always good to hear the rich history that Sheffield is in possession of. Excellent pair of knives today, by the way.

Z1j8PtZ.jpg

I remember you mentioning your penchant for black and red before my friend :) Thanks for the compliment, those two look good together too :) :thumbsup:

My watch pocket knife this week is this Colonial (thanks, Dave):
2rrBfzx.jpg

My peanut-ish knife this week is a Case brown delrin peanut (thanks, Cory):
YM99LV1.jpg

My miscellaneous knife this week is a Zorro Barlow:
Uw5gptZ.jpg

- GT

Nice! I love to see some of those unique oldies getting pocket time.

You're welcome! I'm really, really wowed by this beat up ol' chest, all the history of actual hard use wri ittten right into it. It looks to have had at least two different sets of hinges, and possibly 3-4 locks over the course of its active life.

Roughly 32" x 15" x 16" high (on metal casters):
IMG_8390.jpg~original

IMG_8391.jpg~original

The top sports hand-routed channels of what looks to be very specifically designated lengths.

IMG_8310.jpg~original

The purveyors guessed that the slots were used to hold some kind of rack atop, but I don't think that's it-- although if you note the more distressed edges of the lid vs. the center area in the first picture above, it does look like something sat atop it for a good amount of time?

"Drill bits" may be the thing; I have compiled a series of images to send to a railway historian (friend of a friend) for further input.

IMG_8399.jpg~original

I can't wait to hear his musings, regarding the chest, notepad entries, etc.!

We're still just so glad you learned to post pictures at all, yea these many years later. Remember when you used to have to try and describe your knives?! "Mine's green." o_O

There ya go. :thumbsup:

~ P.
Yes, I had thought bits too, and that may in fact be the answer. But, it is not satisfying, because if you open the lid to grab another tool, what falls off? The bits. Hope your friends can shed some light.

Back