What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

TWeYVdM.jpg
What kind of a shroom is that?

I am carrying a knife today that makes me smile. It does its job, is (to me) humbly handsome, and it gave me a good story, to boot. It is a Genella from 1978, serial no. 1320. It was commissioned and imported by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife that he also created in 1978. Charlie, as I learned, ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. He was a fixture on the knife show circuit during the halcyon heyday of cutlery collecting in the 1970's. Here is an article that will give you a taste of those days and of Charlie: https://www.knivesillustrated.com/a...he-true-story-of-travels-with-charlie-genella

o1RosMW.jpg

Oerofj3.jpg

bsjCw6t.jpg

JHQ8mYx.jpg

zaotHAw.jpg

I saw earlier discussions of another very similar Genella knife in which one of the commenters pointed to the inlaid bow tie shield as a sign that Queen had made the knife. But that can't be true of my knife, as the tang stamp of Surgical Steel points to another continent, which is confirmed by the faint stamp below that one - JAPAN. Still, a good story.
- Stuart

Last edited:
I am carrying a knife today that makes me smile. It does its job, is (to me) humbly handsome, and it gave me a good story, to boot. It is a Genella from 1978, serial no. 1320. It was commissioned and imported by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife that he also created in 1978. Charlie, as I learned, ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. He was a fixture on the knife show circuit during the halcyon heyday of cutlery collecting in the 1970's. Here is an article that will give you a taste of those days and off Charlie: https://www.knivesillustrated.com/a...he-true-story-of-travels-with-charlie-genella

o1RosMW.jpg

Oerofj3.jpg

bsjCw6t.jpg

JHQ8mYx.jpg

zaotHAw.jpg

I saw earlier discussions of another very similar Genella knife in which one of the commenters pointed to the inlaid bow tie shield as a sign that Queen had made the knife. But that can't be true of my knife, as the tang stamp of Surgical Steel points to another continent, which is confirmed by the faint stamp below that one - JAPAN. Still, a good story.
- Stuart
Stuart, a beautiful knife, I JUST missed one on the auction site but was intrigued by it so I dialed up my googlefu. I have read great things fit and finish wise in regards to these knives. I will read the link you posted:thumbsup:

LOL! :D Thanks a lot my friend :) My (middle) back was aching a little yesterday, but just from lack of recent use I think! :D :thumbsup:

Here's a better pic of the bridge.

The Manor House.

Remains of the Roman Fort.

Thanks for the fine photos, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

John Primble

13896193055_dc48640171_b.jpg
That's ravishing, Gev!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Copper Mercator and Schrade 12OT USA.

View attachment 803909
Very pleasant pairing, Aaron!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks GT ! I always appreciate your comments :):thumbsup:
Craftsman Barlow today on about the only green left around here
Fy0Nfdz.jpg
Haven't carried this one in a while, Camillus 51 Derlin covers
ea6ThbF.jpg
Thanks for the affirmation, Steve. :) You keep posting your marvelous old knives, like these two venerable Barlows, and I'll keep commenting on them! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Thanks GT, all the things I mentioned there were within a 5 minute walk of each other! :D Most folk probably don't value the history here enough, hard to believe they were planning to demolish that Manor House isn't it?! :eek:o_O

That is a fantastic photo my friend, hope you're going to post it in the Lambsfoot thread :) The schooboy version of that song here went 'While shepherds washed their socks by night...' When I was a young lad, the headmaster would lead us in a chorus 'to get it out of our systems'! :D :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, your remarks about people's attitudes toward history are probably too true. :( Thanks for the comment on my holiday lambsfoot pic, and for the schoolboy version of that carol! :D:thumbsup:

I am carrying T.R. with me today (and mistakenly posted him on the Let's See Some Stag thread). All's well now (though @Peregrin kindly "liked" my post before I moved it). A 1975 Schrade Teddy Roosevelt commemorative stockman in white saw-cut Delrin (serial no. 10248).
IU0qBrS.jpg

- Stuart
Very cool hardware on that one, Stuart! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Shields representing faces of American presidents are probably quite rare! :D

5K Qs 5K Qs Thanks for the comment on this Primble. It's an India steel works Primble which in my opinion were the best of the Primbles. Action like a custom and takes a ridiculously sharp edge. Needless to say but it's my favorite of my small barlow collection.
XvMKtObl.jpg
Thanks for the additional info on your Blue Grass Barlow, Rob! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Mine is even less like yours than I thought; the bolster is stamped "Blue Grass" like yours, but mine is also marked Belknap (a Louisville hardware store, I think) rather than Primble.
g9WbJX1.jpg

Today with my French (whale) in my pocket!!!

f3dwdv.jpg
Exciting to see that Whale again, Pt-Luso! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'm carrying this rehandled Case 3254 today.

View attachment 804042
Impressive rehandling! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Carrying these two when I head over to Sheffield in the morning :thumbsup:

Terrific traveling twosome, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary! The AW’s appear to have found some friends! :thumbsup: Looking good my friend!:D
Thanks, Ron. :)

Was rooting about in my stored knives section today to check if all is well. You never know with rust, it can't be trusted... All was mostly OK and I found this German made Russel Barlow which I'd actually forgotten about:eek: Carbon blades and liners, steel bolster nicely stamped. It has epic snap:cool: yet reasonable pull, tight without gaps. Wish I'd got more of these before they vanished as they're really decently made. It will be my carry on your tomorrow which is my today:D

IMG_3022.jpg~original
I'd forgotten you had that, too, Will, but now that you've posted it again, I recognize it as one of my favorite Barlow photos in my time on The Porch!! Excellent knife and pic! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have these Taylors Eye Witness Lambfoots in my pocket today . One old and one comparatively new . Sorry for having to use re-cycled pictures ....

Harry
I witness your Eye Witnesses with great enjoyment, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

View attachment 804460

I never would’ve guessed it when I pre-ordered it, but this Churchill has pretty much replaced my beloved Barlows & stockmans for every day carry since it came. That's saying something, since I've been carrying a Barlow since the 1950's & a stockman since the 1970's.
Quite a testimonial to the quality of your Churchill, Ironbut!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I decided to brighten my day by putting a little glitter in my pockets with some abalone and mother-of-pearl. When I meet my pals this afternoon at our watering hole, I may have to order a Martini (with gin and shaken) after I pull these out.
Kz5Janv.jpg

- Stuart
(Oh, I have a sodbuster, jr in case I actually have to cut something gnarly.)
W:eek:W, Stuart!! I sure don't see covers like those every day!! A "little glitter" indeed! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Hi lambertiana - I like it a lot, and yes the edge is nice and thin. Fit and finish is about what you’d expect from this price point, in that there are gaps and some sharp edges on the liners and back spring. When it arrived it was gritty when closing, and there were some metal shavings in the pivot. I flushed it out with some Remoil and that helped; I also used the corners of Sharpmaker ultra fine stone to take down a few of the sharp edges. That took about 5 minutes of time and now it is pretty smooth.

In fact I am carrying it again today :).

The Plow again, paired with an old reliable John Primble scout.

I'm enjoying your reviews of your Plow, Tom, and the photos suggest that it pairs up well with almost any of your folders!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

Looks like no room to show any of my carries for this week in this post! :rolleyes: I hope I'll be back later today to rectify that situation; you all might survive without seeing my knives, but I don't know if I'll survive without showing them! :confused::D

- GT

Thanks for the fine photos, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

That's ravishing, Gev!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very pleasant pairing, Aaron!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the affirmation, Steve. :) You keep posting your marvelous old knives, like these two venerable Barlows, and I'll keep commenting on them! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Unfortunately, your remarks about people's attitudes toward history are probably too true. :( Thanks for the comment on my holiday lambsfoot pic, and for the schoolboy version of that carol! :D:thumbsup:

Very cool hardware on that one, Stuart! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Shields representing faces of American presidents are probably quite rare! :D

Thanks for the additional info on your Blue Grass Barlow, Rob! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Mine is even less like yours than I thought; the bolster is stamped "Blue Grass" like yours, but mine is also marked Belknap (a Louisville hardware store, I think) rather than Primble.
g9WbJX1.jpg

Exciting to see that Whale again, Pt-Luso! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Impressive rehandling! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Terrific traveling twosome, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Ron. :)

I'd forgotten you had that, too, Will, but now that you've posted it again, I recognize it as one of my favorite Barlow photos in my time on The Porch!! Excellent knife and pic! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I witness your Eye Witnesses with great enjoyment, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Quite a testimonial to the quality of your Churchill, Ironbut!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

W:eek:W, Stuart!! I sure don't see covers like those every day!! A "little glitter" indeed! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'm enjoying your reviews of your Plow, Tom, and the photos suggest that it pairs up well with almost any of your folders!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

Looks like no room to show any of my carries for this week in this post! :rolleyes: I hope I'll be back later today to rectify that situation; you all might survive without seeing my knives, but I don't know if I'll survive without showing them! :confused::D

- GT

Thanks for all the kind words GT :) I had thought that schoolboy carol might be international, I think it dates back at least to the the early 20th century. Look forward to seeing your knives later my friend :thumbsup:

Back