What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Beautiful !! What is it exactly? Please
That is a GEC #06 Pemberton. I call it my watch pocket warrior.

061113-tomato-acrylic.jpg

I am carrying a knife today that makes me smile. It does its job, is (to me) humbly handsome, and it gave me a good story, to boot. It is a Genella from 1978, serial no. 1320. It was commissioned and imported by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife that he also created in 1978. Charlie, as I learned, ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. He was a fixture on the knife show circuit during the halcyon heyday of cutlery collecting in the 1970's. Here is an article that will give you a taste of those days and off Charlie: https://www.knivesillustrated.com/a...he-true-story-of-travels-with-charlie-genella

o1RosMW.jpg

Oerofj3.jpg

bsjCw6t.jpg

JHQ8mYx.jpg

zaotHAw.jpg

I saw earlier discussions of another very similar Genella knife in which one of the commenters pointed to the inlaid bow tie shield as a sign that Queen had made the knife. But that can't be true of my knife, as the tang stamp of Surgical Steel points to another continent, which is confirmed by the faint stamp below that one - JAPAN. Still, a good story.
- Stuart
Beautiful knife and shield ! I enjoyed the linked story :D Thank you:thumbsup:

Those two look great together Dylan :) :thumbsup:

I don't want to sound trite, but that's a classy picture, Pàdruig Pàdruig .
- Stuart

Thank you for the kind words, guys. The contents of the pic are probably classier than I am. :D

2013 TC in Gabon Ebony:thumbsup:
nXX4Lp.jpg

I am such a sucker for those wood clad Barlows. Gorgeous knife, Paul!

I am carrying a knife today that makes me smile. It does its job, is (to me) humbly handsome, and it gave me a good story, to boot. It is a Genella from 1978, serial no. 1320. It was commissioned and imported by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife that he also created in 1978. Charlie, as I learned, ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. He was a fixture on the knife show circuit during the halcyon heyday of cutlery collecting in the 1970's. Here is an article that will give you a taste of those days and off Charlie: https://www.knivesillustrated.com/a...he-true-story-of-travels-with-charlie-genella

o1RosMW.jpg

Oerofj3.jpg

bsjCw6t.jpg

JHQ8mYx.jpg

zaotHAw.jpg

I saw earlier discussions of another very similar Genella knife in which one of the commenters pointed to the inlaid bow tie shield as a sign that Queen had made the knife. But that can't be true of my knife, as the tang stamp of Surgical Steel points to another continent, which is confirmed by the faint stamp below that one - JAPAN. Still, a good story.
- Stuart

A beautiful knife with some fascinating history, thank you so much for sharing!

I decided to stick these two in my pocket today. Shown here with a good friend of mine. (Please excuse the raindrops...)

UKNJKZ7.jpg

Thank you for the kind words, guys. The contents of the pic are probably classier than I am. :D

I am such a sucker for those wood clad Barlows. Gorgeous knife, Paul!

A beautiful knife with some fascinating history, thank you so much for sharing!

I decided to stick these two in my pocket today. Shown here with a good friend of mine. (Please excuse the raindrops...)

UKNJKZ7.jpg

Not at all Dylan, particularly with that fine-looking briar! :D Cool pic :thumbsup:

UKNJKZ7.jpg

What a great shot :thumbsup: Never smoked but I've always liked the thought of a nice pipe....

OK, now, I'm really, really hungry. And, no, I will not find any flaky crusted meat pies in my neck of the woods. Notwithstanding my dilemma, very nice knife.
- Stuart

Thanks Duckdog! For several weeks now I've only carried one of three knives, this A. Wright Barlow being one of them. I'm going to have to mix things up I think and start dipping into the knife pot more often. And the little meaty feast is a pork pie. Arguably England's national dish :D

I remember when I was just getting into traditionals, and decided to find a nice GEC. In all my looking, studying, and reading I saw this #89 in Red Jigged Bone. After really learning about how GEC works, and at that time how many where made; it was clear that wasn't going to happen soon. Then of course I put my sights on the #38 Blood Red Grinling which further reinforced that this GEC thing is not easy when it comes to older releases. Of course GuestWho101 in great generosity gifted me that Grinling :D. But, then one of those 89's just pops up, and I could not believe it. I'm learning patience in this process :)

vtWg8tA.jpg

ZSoaiSF.jpg

Back