What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I remember when I was just getting into traditionals, and decided to find a nice GEC. In all my looking, studying, and reading I saw this #89 in Red Jigged Bone. After really learning about how GEC works, and at that time how many where made; it was clear that wasn't going to happen soon. Then of course I put my sights on the #38 Blood Red Grinling which further reinforced that this GEC thing is not easy when it comes to older releases. Of course GuestWho101 in great generosity gifted me that Grinling :D. But, then one of those 89's just pops up, and I could not believe it. I'm learning patience in this process :)

vtWg8tA.jpg

ZSoaiSF.jpg

Nice one. Great pattern. I mean, if you like those stinky whittler types....

On a totally unrelated note, carrying the first Northwoods I ever bought today. Back when these sat for a bit, I looked at the color on this one for a few weeks before buying it...love love love this pattern.

22711299972_7f203835eb_c.jpg

Nice one. Great pattern. I mean, if you like those stinky whittler types....

On a totally unrelated note, carrying the first Northwoods I ever bought today. Back when these sat for a bit, I looked at the color on this one for a few weeks before buying it...love love love this pattern.

My goodness!! That is sweet, Joe!!

A buddy called me this afternoon: striped bass are biting on the Chesapeake Bay and he's getting his boat ready to head out tomorrow morning. I'm leaving tonight to join him, so this is what I'm carrying tomorrow.

Later.
- Stuart

That is a phone call that I would like....... I wish you luck. I hope you fillet a Striper or five.....

Was about to post a pic of the knife I’ve had in my pocket for the last two days as I’ve put my yard and garden ( flowers not veggies) to bed for the winter but when I reached for it it was gone!
So off to look in the 100 places it could be after today. I found it in place # 68 or so...
The iconic Buck 301! Some times fall yard stuff requires a firmer grip and slightly larger blade.
EC9E5BA7-6F75-4D25-8CCC-9D1644D54E7D.jpeg 8064DD6A-BE6A-4C6D-80B6-E532E7775381.jpeg

Was about to post a pic of the knife I’ve had in my pocket for the last two days as I’ve put my yard and garden ( flowers not veggies) to bed for the winter but when I reached for it it was gone!
So off to look in the 100 places it could be after today. I found it in place # 68 or so...
The iconic Buck 301! Some times fall yard stuff requires a firmer grip and slightly larger blade.
View attachment 805412 View attachment 805413
"place # 68" LOL. Good one, Clay.:p

Thanks for the additional info on your Blue Grass Barlow, Rob! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Mine is even less like yours than I thought; the bolster is stamped "Blue Grass" like yours, but mine is also marked Belknap (a Louisville hardware store, I think) rather than Primble.

Belknap was indeed a Louisville ky hardware company. Blue grass was one of their trademarks used on knives, axes and other tools. John Primble was another trademark rumored to have been the name of one of their top salesmen. Primble India steel works was their line of top quality knives using high quality steel imported from India which date from the 1890's to approximately 1940. From 1940 to 1968 the stamp changed to John Primble belknap hdw. In 1968 the stamp was shortened to belknap inc. After belknap closed it's doors the trademarks were sold and are still in use today. Bluegrass cutlery co. Currently manufactures John Primble knives.

I am carrying a knife today that makes me smile. It does its job, is (to me) humbly handsome, and it gave me a good story, to boot. It is a Genella from 1978, serial no. 1320. It was commissioned and imported by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife that he also created in 1978. Charlie, as I learned, ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. He was a fixture on the knife show circuit during the halcyon heyday of cutlery collecting in the 1970's. Here is an article that will give you a taste of those days and of Charlie: https://www.knivesillustrated.com/a...he-true-story-of-travels-with-charlie-genella

o1RosMW.jpg

Oerofj3.jpg

bsjCw6t.jpg

JHQ8mYx.jpg

zaotHAw.jpg

I saw earlier discussions of another very similar Genella knife in which one of the commenters pointed to the inlaid bow tie shield as a sign that Queen had made the knife. But that can't be true of my knife, as the tang stamp of Surgical Steel points to another continent, which is confirmed by the faint stamp below that one - JAPAN. Still, a good story.
- Stuart

Beautiful knife and a great read!

No matter what other knife I choose to carry these two are always in my pockets.
Sorry, Mike, somehow I lost your photo.:( Is your SAK a Hiker? Looks like a nice model with saw and Phillips screw driver. :cool::thumbsup:

My new favorite. I bought this on the spur of the moment when Glenn @glennbad posted it a couple of weeks ago in a sale for Bob's grandson. I'd never owned a canoe even though it's an attractive pattern. It's become my edc and now I own several more. This particular one by Queen City has a little blade rub which seems to be endemic to a two blade single back spring knife. But since it patina'd easily that's immaterial. It sharpened up easily and I can only say don't buy them (more for me) hahaha!

View attachment 804554
Good to know there's another "canoesseur" around, Alan! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup: You sure are starting out with some lovely examples of the pattern! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

[Posts I tried to quote by Dylan and Greg lost their photos and are quite meaningless without them! :(]

Not so much that I feel foolish carrying so many knives, but I weary of getting arrested every time my knives pull my pants down in public.
:D:D Welcome to my world, Jer!! :D:D

Today in my pocket with a Case mini trapper in stag, already with some age (1980), but for me always well!!!
Another photo lost between multi-quoting, splitting a too-long post, and "saving the leftovers" unsuccessfully. But that's a VERY desirable stag mini trapper, Pt-Luso!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (And I think people who want a look at it can click on the arrow next to the username above to get back to the original post.)

Just these two for me today
A fine Tuesday duo, Jack; sorry I vaporized their photos! :(

Finally got round to cutting an E/O notch in my #25
Although I've somehow deleted the pic, I can attest that it's a superb EO notch!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Lost a couple of pics from black mamba. ;) (Always enjoy pics of your Cadet, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup:)
Also destroyed a pic from SteveC :(, featuring impressive flaming jigging! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I just finished supper, and your pic has me salivating, donn! :rolleyes:

I am carrying a knife today that makes me smile. It does its job, is (to me) humbly handsome, and it gave me a good story, to boot. It is a Genella from 1978, serial no. 1320. It was commissioned and imported by Charlie Genella and is very similar to the May 1980 Choo Choo Knife Show Knife that he also created in 1978. Charlie, as I learned, ran the Hixson Knife Shop in Hixon, Tennesee until his untimely death in 1988 at age 59. He was a fixture on the knife show circuit during the halcyon heyday of cutlery collecting in the 1970's. Here is an article that will give you a taste of those days and of Charlie: https://www.knivesillustrated.com/a...he-true-story-of-travels-with-charlie-genella

o1RosMW.jpg

I saw earlier discussions of another very similar Genella knife in which one of the commenters pointed to the inlaid bow tie shield as a sign that Queen had made the knife. But that can't be true of my knife, as the tang stamp of Surgical Steel points to another continent, which is confirmed by the faint stamp below that one - JAPAN. Still, a good story.
- Stuart
Thanks for sharing info that's completely new to me, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for all the kind words GT :) I had thought that schoolboy carol might be international, I think it dates back at least to the the early 20th century. Look forward to seeing your knives later my friend :thumbsup:
The modified carol may be international, Jack, but I've led a very sheltered life, so I may not be aware of the song's existence in my own back yard! :rolleyes:

I decided to stick these two in my pocket today. Shown here with a good friend of mine. (Please excuse the raindrops...)

UKNJKZ7.jpg
Very cool (and wet ;)), Dylan!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

These today :

Harry
Sublime stag Barlows, Harry, for "Twofer Tuesday"! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have my finest examples of my two favorite workhorse patterns with me today:

eXV3ulzh.jpg

The Pasi Hurttila puukko is helping carve a spoon and the Guardians Lambsfoot is keeping me company.
I can see a coat of arms in your future, Greg! ;) Very fine knives and pic! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I never realized that's what the majority of my knives were for. I always looked at them as photo models not companions. Perfect!
:D:thumbsup:

I remember when I was just getting into traditionals, and decided to find a nice GEC. In all my looking, studying, and reading I saw this #89 in Red Jigged Bone. After really learning about how GEC works, and at that time how many where made; it was clear that wasn't going to happen soon. Then of course I put my sights on the #38 Blood Red Grinling which further reinforced that this GEC thing is not easy when it comes to older releases. Of course GuestWho101 in great generosity gifted me that Grinling :D. But, then one of those 89's just pops up, and I could not believe it. I'm learning patience in this process :)

vtWg8tA.jpg

Congrats, Tim! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I need to learn more pocket knife patience! :rolleyes:

View attachment 805290 I keep this boker on the kitchen counter as a “catch all”. I’ve cleaned it up a couple of times and applied a layer of ren wax last time I polished it. Good day everyone
Böker Barlows are simply Boffo!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Wow, that's a striking color!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I put this TC in my pocket this morning.

ruyL63J.jpg
Speaking of striking color ... That red is outstanding! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A buddy called me this afternoon: striped bass are biting on the Chesapeake Bay and he's getting his boat ready to head out tomorrow morning. I'm leaving tonight to join him, so this is what I'm carrying tomorrow.

K9St2Kj.jpg

Later.
- Stuart
The Call of the Wild! ;) Good luck with the Stripers, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup:

Cool seasonal shot, Riz! :thumbsup::cool::cool: This year's 2-bladed GEC offerings with clip main may not have my name on them, but they do have my address: 1217 is my house number! :D

View attachment 805412 View attachment 805413
Glad you could track it down, Clay! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This week it is a RR PEANUT and Sow Belly Stockman by RR both in Brown jigged bone.
Can't believe I still don't have a Rough Rider peanut. :confused: Great pair you're totin' deltaboy! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I'm carrying my RR sowbelly stockman in amber jigged bone (see below). ;)

My non-Alox SAK this week is a Vic Explorer:
oGHWIhq.jpg

My Alox knife this week is my trusty black Pioneer:
upW10WO.jpg

My stockman this week is a Rough Rider sowbelly model:
vSTDZ3n.jpg

My Peanutish knife this week is actually a Case chestnut jigged bone CV Swayback Jack (thanks, Paul):
yPYaOM8.jpg

- GT

Back