What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

As a new poster kicking pebbles on the porch I definitely get that feeling. Sometimes I feel like I'm intruding, although everyone is naturally friendly. But in contrast to some sentiments posted elsewhere (Queen closing thread) re: waning interest in traditional cutlery, I think the upped interest speaks well for old-timey knives.
rswanson rswanson I've only been posting on this thread ("sitting on the Porch") for about 5 months, but this is an unusually mellow and welcoming group of folks. I feel like I've been here much longer (and it may seem even longer to those who have to suffer through my ramblings) and have come to enjoy the cordiality. There is much knowledge to be gathered here if you ask/listen. That's why I came here, and have been greatly rewarded. As to the waxing and waning of interest in traditional knives, I (and maybe a bunch of others here) am stubbornly persistent in my affection for the craftsmanship that goes into producing these knives, now and in the past, and their utility. The history of knife making seems to be strewn with busted businesses and lost dreams/foolish ventures, yet here we are with several thriving traditional makers, large and small. (Small knife makers seem to be spreading like craft breweries - and there's nothing wrong with that.) Which is to say - welcome.
- Stuart

I am posting early for Stag Saturday (Stagurday?), as I will be away rabbit hunting during the day. I will be carrying these, plus a pair of shears that don't qualify for posting. Will check back in on Sunday.

A Unimart (Solingen) hunter that I received from the family of an old hunting buddy after he passed at age 88. (I got his sharpening stones, too.)

9Le7iAd.jpg

8KMXp0h.jpg

And my Puma (Solingen) Handarbeit Bestell Nr. 945 Multitool Large Lockback Knife .

aCQN7py.jpg

o0f9eCO.jpg

ZOQ3s8d.jpg

And as a back up, a small game knife by Gary Cunningham (Sylva, NC).

XRAldS7.jpg

9kFcDXx.jpg

- Stuart

Excellent photo sir :) :thumbsup:

I always enjoy seeing your super 72 GT :thumbsup:

Jack I totally agree with you my friend! :eek: I have put a blister on my trigger finger hitting the like button this evening! :eek: Great choices in your daily carries my friend! :)

Gary I’m thankful as usual for the compliments! :) The Red Bone is indeed the same knife and it is stainless. :D

Friday’s carries for me. I hope y’all have a great weekend. :D
38930503834_c63b11244b_b_d.jpg

LOL! :D Thanks a lot Ron, those two make a fine pair my friend :thumbsup:

I'm dashing out of the door with these two :) Have a great weekend folks :thumbsup:

rswanson rswanson I've only been posting on this thread ("sitting on the Porch") for about 5 months, but this is an unusually mellow and welcoming group of folks. I feel like I've been here much longer (and it may seem even longer to those who have to suffer through my ramblings) and have come to enjoy the cordiality. There is much knowledge to be gathered here if you ask/listen. That's why I came here, and have been greatly rewarded. As to the waxing and waning of interest in traditional knives, I (and maybe a bunch of others here) am stubbornly persistent in my affection for the craftsmanship that goes into producing these knives, now and in the past, and their utility. The history of knife making seems to be strewn with busted businesses and lost dreams/foolish ventures, yet here we are with several thriving traditional makers, large and small. (Small knife makers seem to be spreading like craft breweries - and there's nothing wrong with that.) Which is to say - welcome.
- Stuart
Stuart, thanks for the note. I agree wholeheartedly- this is an odd corner of the internet where kind words and generosity are the words of the day. When I said I felt out of place, it was to mean that some folks have been participating for so long it can feel like you've walked in on the tail end of a lengthy conversation and have much catching up to do. But there's no shortage of help to be found here. Now, sorry for my "inane ramblings", back to the knives! My carry today, older photo:
IMG_4001.JPG

I am posting early for Stag Saturday (Stagurday?), as I will be away rabbit hunting during the day. I will be carrying these, plus a pair of shears that don't qualify for posting. Will check back in on Sunday.

A Unimart (Solingen) hunter that I received from the family of an old hunting buddy after he passed at age 88. (I got his sharpening stones, too.)

9Le7iAd.jpg

8KMXp0h.jpg

And my Puma (Solingen) Handarbeit Bestell Nr. 945 Multitool Large Lockback Knife .

aCQN7py.jpg

o0f9eCO.jpg

ZOQ3s8d.jpg

And as a back up, a small game knife by Gary Cunningham (Sylva, NC).

XRAldS7.jpg

9kFcDXx.jpg

- Stuart
The Unimart is a true treasure !! Your buddy is smiling on you :) The Puma is stellar and the Cunningham smashing.

Back