1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JOELSM

JOELSM Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2007
    No, this model is no longer in production.

Lol- it was the double nail nick that attracted me to this knife - different strokes...

Fodderwing and Ramrodmb like this.
  2. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @JOELSM Even with the double nail nick I like it.

JOELSM likes this.
  3. kai76

kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    @Gevonovich The bone on your old Case has such a beautiful rich tone! Gorgeous.

[​IMG]

4. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Fantastic fixed blade !!!!

Great knife and makes me want an A.G. !!

Thank you !! The Tyrian purple in mine compliments the Veronese yellow exuberance in your work of art :D:cool::thumbsup:

dc50, Duckdog and kai76 like this.
  5. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I'm totin' these two today, though only one will be in my pocket. It's still cold and icy here and I made a pot of venison chili to get us through the first couple of days, so I'm going to slow cook a pot roast today for a few more meals. To chop the mirepoix, I'm using this Nicholas Nichols 12.5" chef's knife. Nichols hand makes knives in Leland, N.C. (across the Cape Fear River west of Wilmington). This one has an AEB-L blade and the handle scales are made of salvaged teak decking from the U.S.S. North Carolina (BB-55), the first of the North Carolina class of battleships and the most decorated battleship in WWII. It rests in peace as a memorial in the Port of Wilmington. The trusty Opinel will be in my pocket when I venture out and can step in if I need a smaller blade in the kitchen (though I generally eschew folding knives as culinary cutlery).

[​IMG]

- Stuart

6. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Southington English jack- I found it, why not carry it?
    [​IMG]

7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Tom :) :thumbsup:

8. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Spent the morning under a house fixing fallen insulation. And installing a vapor barrier. Loaned my Rough Rider shadow trapper to the Mexicans that was helping me. Never again:mad: they cut plastic directly on cinder blocks, and some how both blades now have side to side play:mad: I don't get it all they had to do was cut some 8 mil plastic

9. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    The Nicholas is making me salivate ...the stamp is even creative....wondrous :eek:

Duckdog likes this.
  10. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    Great carry choice I need to get at least 1 Opinel to give a try. Like that chef knife, really like that the handle scales come from the USS North Carolina. I've took the tour several times, she's a great old ship.

dc50, Prester John and Duckdog like this.
  11. Aryan29

Aryan29 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Old Bear+Buck Companion.
    Case stockman-just too smooth to not carry...
    BD4E4FFB-13DD-4C49-A523-24E8E5169E90.jpeg

IEN710, TFBraden, Jason9477 and 23 others like this.
  12. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Only my father can borrow any of my tools (to include my pocketknives) - most people misuse more than use a tool. Not mine, I have too much invested in them. OH

13. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Jack! :)

Thank you Tom! Love that fixed blade sir! :thumbsup::)

Jack Black likes this.
  14. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Well, got this from my mobile provider -
    “You have used your monthly allotment of internet, so are now in “safe mode”.”
    Which means I’ll have to look and like all y’alls knives later, because they take forever to load.
    In the meantime, I’ll content myself with a few of my favorite things~
    F62B78D9-19A2-4CF1-9C2D-AA7E72F66213.jpeg

15. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    At least it was not too expensive a mistake. I don't like lending knives myself.

16. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Recent mod I've been waiting on is in the pocket today...I wanted more of a user tortoise shell vs safe queen so I had the pen blade deleted from my KA-BAR gunstock and re-handled. I dig it.
    KaBar_Tortoise.jpg
    KaBar_Tortoise_01.jpg

17. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I was giving you credit for past carries, Nick, though the new (including the one you posted today) are fine. Steve does have pile of old beauties, though.

Thanks, Jack, but methinks it was the Manhattan (a drink first concocted in England) that grabbed your gaze. That's a pretty pair that you were packing, too.

That's some ample and admirable antler, Ron.

Classy classic Cases, OH.

Very nice BB whittler, Dwight, and I like that Panama Canal skeleton.

They are 10s in my book, Jeff, and made me temporarily lose control (as my later post proved). I, like @Misplaced Hillbilly , wish for a return to such knives.

A beauty to weep for, Dave.

What a wonderful find, Buzz. That is a gorgeous old worker, still in fine fettle.

Thanks, GT. I agree with the Chris Craft comparison - those are gorgeous old vessels. And much loved.

Still rubbing it in, aren't you, Alan. I do hope that you have a good time.

There's nothing "medium" about that knife other than its size. Tremendous is more like it.

Thanks, Jake.

That's a handsome and handy knife, Paul. Great find.

Who wouldn't be, Nick.

Yep, GT, those two are more than adequate, so very much more.

Thanks, guys, but @Amir Fleschwund and @Misplaced Hillbilly are to blame for my intemperate outburst of posting. Their reverence for the older Cases pushed me over the edge. (Oh, a Manhattan may have helped, too.)

Now, that's a useful looking knife, as well as attractive (for us scout lovers).

That sweet BB gunstock should tide you over, Will.

Jack Dandy, Dwight. A handsome fellow, indeed.

You wood, wooden't you, Ron. That's a stalwart duo.

Fred is FINE, Gev!

That sowbelly could heat a whole house, Alan.

Thanks, Gev. I had never seen any of his work until I was gifted this knife by a niece and her husband (who own a couple of restaurants in Wilmington). It is very well balanced and cuts like a laser.

I though that it might catch your eye, Dave. When I was in elementary school, we raised money at school for the restoration of the ship. thank goodness they eventually found some real folding money to get it done.

- Stuart

18. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    For sure OH, that's normally my attitude as well. My knives and tools are pretty much off limits to 99% of people. Certain things are not to be triffled with. Once on a trip to myrtle beach we went to a restaurant that had a heckler outside to draw people in. Guy kept pestering me on my cowboy hat, and I told him politely to drop the subject. He kept it up until my mother seen I was about to deck the loud mouth. She steps up to him and says "Mister, I'm his mother, and even I don't touch his hat, drop it or he's going to whoop your a*** " he dropped it.

19. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    I see what you did there! :thumbsup::D

Duckdog likes this.
  20. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    My, how times have changed.
    My maternal grandfather was a carpenter (before they started specializing in certain aspects of construction. He passed in 1966)
    If someone came to him looking to hire on to his crew, if they did not have a pocket knife (in good condition; no bent/broken blades, and it was sharp) they were run off the jobsite.

He believed (as many in the trades did back then) that the condition of a man's pocket knife told you a lot about the character of the person applying for a job.
    Broken tip or blade? Careless and uses the wrong tool for the job.
    Dull blade(s)? Lazy, and does not take care of his tools.
    No knife? Irresponsible. Also untrustworthy if the person claimed he was experienced.

peanutsxx, Old Hunter, dc50 and 7 others like this.