What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

MAM sheepsfoot is my International Knife this week:
TxDDgoy.jpg

Case mini copperhead is Watch Pocket Knife this week:
dPFMInU.jpg

Rough Rider work knife (sort of a SBJr pattern) is my Big Knife this week (even though it's not very big, but I classified Sodbuster Jr type knives as "big" as a way to carry them more often :rolleyes:):
fz87kSA.jpg

Schrade+ USA UH897, Uncle Henry medium stockman, is Stockman of the Week (thanks, Dean):
XROR3i9.jpg

- GT

Nice group of knives, Gary! :)

Heading to San Antonio for three days to visit my octagenarian uncle.
EwFa8dM.jpg

Will be toting these:
ebNV9O8.jpg

Case trapper.
And:
C6LGnuW.jpg

A. Wright & Son lambsfoot.

Remember D-Day: 75th anniversary on Thursday.
CB3XCm2.jpg

USS Lexington.

843NtSj.jpg

USS Texas.

Where is the Texas and Lexington? I think I toured the Texas as a kid but we never went to Sam Antonio. Went to Houston several times as I have family there. I'd love to see a carrier.

That's some gorgeous jigging on your Pruner Dwight
Thank you Jack.

Beautiful Dave! Is that an 89?

Thank you, Dwight. And, oh, my goodness!! What a handsome old Remington you are totin' today. Stellar jigging.
Thank you Stuart.

I've been working all day on a sports awards banquet taking place tonight, and toted this Smith & Wesson lockback hunter as a backup for breaking down boxes in case my folding boxcutter went awry. It did, and the S&M acquitted itself very well. Boy, will I be glad when this event in in the bag
I hope the event went as you planned.

Thanks for the kind comments on the S&W. It certainly held its own today. Yes, the awards banquet has consumed 6 of the past 4 weeks of my life. We gave 34 youth/high school and 3 adult (coach/booster) sports awards out tonight over a little more than 2 hours. From baseball to ultimate disc, from gymnastics to rifle, we try to cover them all (oh, and ice hockey). We've got kids going to West Point, the Naval Academy, and a slew of other great schools. My favorite was a high school wrestler who has very good grades (close to 4.0), works with disadvantaged youth, and was homeless his sophomore year - having to run a mile and a half from the shelter to his high school each morning to make before-class practices. He had an undefeated season this, his senior year, and is our state champion. Makes you blink a little when you look in the mirror.
Thanks for sharing this. And yes it does.

IMG_1585.jpeg

YUSDXTn.jpg

I know Patton wasn't involved with D-Day, but it's a good reminder. The other is a WW2 era Camillus post exchange resale knife. A few of which I'm sure was carried stowed away in a pocket or ruck, and carried across that hell of beach. Carried in honor of my neighbor growing up. A First infrantry soldier who I know fought at least from Sicily onward to the close of the war. A man who'd tell me stories of his experience, and things he'd seen. A man who after the war went on to occupation duty in Japan, and married a Japanese woman. I only know of her from pictures in his home,he wouldn't talk of her. I could go on and on of the things he told me, but I won't. Its enough that he got to tell someone. So today's carry is in honor of Woodrow, a nice old man who always had a reese's cup and a story for a annoying little kid. Thank you Woodrow, and all of your brothers from every country that stormed the nightmare hell of that beach.

Carrying these 2 today :
And a C. Lutters LOEWEN MESSER ( Lions Knife )

It looks like some previous owner hammered on the spine edge of the blade and tried to cut through a nail . You can not see the damage to the spine , but I certainly can feel it .
Both of these knives really take an edge .

Harry

Hello, I just saw, that you purchased an old Lütters folder! This is my favorite traditional knife brand, if you're intersted in, some details...
Löwenmesser (lions knife) are very famous under north sea fishermen, the model you have are used to kill and gut the fish.
The writer Kristin Kube wrote a book about the life of the fishermen of the northsea and there is a chapter about their knives, obviusly all made by Lütters, the interviewed fishermen and captains often saw them as some kind of talisman.
Here a link, it's in german..
https://books.google.es/books?id=0X...Bs8Q6AEIMzAB#v=onepage&q=loewenmesser&f=false
The company exists since 1840 and is still produceing, allthough each year less models.
I had the luck to get a few of their sheepfoot folders still with steel bolders, as today they produce these without bolsters.
They are not interested in the colectors market as they sell in big amouts to fishery companies, agricultural , etc.
When you walk trough the harbours of northern germany and denmark (Hamburg (where I'm from), Esbjerg, Tönning, Büsum, Helgoland, Hanstholm, etc) from time to time some old guy pulling out a Löwenmesser :)
Due to the lion on your knife, I think it's from the 50ies or earlier.
Here the link to their page, on the bottom you can download an article from the german knife magazin "MesserMagazin" about Lütters.
https://www.loewenmesser.de/index.php/de/

Regards
Nicolas

Where is the Texas and Lexington? I think I toured the Texas as a kid but we never went to Sam Antonio. Went to Houston several times as I have family there. I'd love to see a carrier.
The Lexington is in my home town of Corpus Christi. It is permanently moored here, and is a museum now. Saw service in WWII. It's the second Lexington: "the Blue Ghost", thought to have been sunk several times by the Japanese.
MWqzNYO.jpg

The Battleship Texas is in Houston, near the San Jacinto monument (15 feet taller than the Washington Monument), where Sam Houston defeated a larger force of Mexicans under General Santa Ana, and won independence for Texas on April 21, 1836. The battleship saw service in both world wars. Smaller than the Lexington, of course, and you can tour it. Was under partial renovation last year when I last saw it.

Once again, I've let myself get so far behind in this thread that I've been "lapped by the pack". In an attempt to catch up, I've quoted my favorite post or two from each of the pages I hadn't read yet. :rolleyes:

Sunday carry - 1970 Case.

That's a great-looking knife, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Pen knife? Half whittler?

5K Qs 5K Qs While it lasted, i regularly saw the Shadows of Knight play at the Cellar in Arlington Heights.
Quite a coincidence, Harvey! :eek:;) Before I posted about the Shadows of Knight version of "Gloria", I looked up the band on Wikipedia and found out how to correctly spell their name. I also learned that for a while they were the "house band" at the Cellar in Arlington Heights. And you were there!!! :thumbsup::cool::D I used to like some of those Chicago bands back in the day. CTA, of course, and I really liked most of The Buckinghams' Top 40 hits. Cryan' Shames, Ides of March, ...

Thanks GT, maybe I should send Zorro?! :D :thumbsup:
Excellent idea, Jack! :thumbsup::D:D Zorro knows a thing or two about righting wrongs!

Dwight, that photo does an excellent job of representing the thrill and the agony that get juxtaposed in the lives of most of us! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

It's interesting to see your "constants".
I ponder why you picked those... I assume the math knives because of your work, and the little SAK for its tools, but I haven't quite figured out why the Sodbuster Jr became a constant. Do you carry all those in your pockets, or bags, or in your coat?
John, you're 3 for 3 on the ones you listed. ;):thumbsup: The SBJr is a knife I won in a GAW @BigBiscuit ran to ask for prayers as he went in for his first surgery when he found out about his cancer. I started carrying it as a "prayer reminder" for everyone and everything on my daily prayer list. As for carrying, the Minichamp hangs from a little suspension hanger on the edge of my LFP and the Vic Solo stands in the "inboard edge" of my LFP in a little pouch I made by putting a safety pin through the pocket material. The SBJr and my scrimshawed RR stockman are in a nylon belt pouch that I carry in an outer pocket of my backpack, or vertically on my suspenders if they're narrow enough to fit through the pouch loops.

Jeff, I always admire that top knife, especially the blade mod you did to the screwdriver; what you ended up with seems like an ideal 2-blade combo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That's exotic, Alan!! :eek::thumbsup::cool: I grew up on a dairy farm, but definitely don't recognize THAT breed! :rolleyes:

I always enjoy seeing your Constants.

Have a good week, everybody!
qrs2Wsf.jpg
Thanks, r8shell r8shell . :) That Böker is the bomb! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Grabbed my Churchill this morning.

WqzcaEa.jpg
Jeff, as I told the other Jeff, I always admire that Churchill of yours, for essentially the same reason I admire his modded TL-29: ideal blade combo (even though his has a spear main and yours has a clip main). :cool::thumbsup::cool: Your stag is nothing to sneeze at either! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carrying a couple of new Victorinox arrivals today.

s7UuIzuh.jpg
Very cool, Buzz! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Those have been on my wish list at DLT for ages, but I can't make up my mind on what style I'd like best. (I'm even considering the Memphis Belle "pin-up gal" version. :rolleyes:)

Thank you, Gary. And it is always a pleasure to humor you. :D

Fantastic fotos of your foursome, Gary! :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :)

Our Raised Garden finally dried out enough for me to get it tilled up so we could get the Tomatoes , Peppers , Beans , Edge Flowers , and Asparagus planted today and I had this one in my pockets . Sorry about using old pics but it was dark before we got done mowing our yard too .
Harry
Smashing old lambsfoot, Harry; glad you got the crops in! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Stag and stag bone today, an A.Wright 'Ashley's Choice' Lambsfoot and an Issard Violon :thumbsup:

9pH1xaR.jpg

KQ8uHJq.jpg
Great knife pair
You have right there
Jack, Mein Herr! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Case 62024 1/2

W:eek:W!! What jigging! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Do i have a problem? I have four knives in my pockets today. ... These things make me happy and that's the bottom line, so this absurd number of daily tools is no problem at all.

iWS5G0u.jpg
Your rationale seems flawless to me :cool::thumbsup::cool:, but I usually have access to 17-19 knives each day in pockets and backpack combined. :rolleyes:

My trio is apparently lucky, as the Blues won last night! Funny thing about the Queen Barlow:
It isn’t actually “mine”, but is to be a gift for my nephew when he is old enough, his first pocket knife. It needs a little tlc so I am going to polish and oil it tonight.

dxijf15.jpg
Congrats, Tom, on the strategic knife exchange for the win! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Man, I would not TOUCH that Queen Barlow until the Cup has a new home! :eek:

Queen #10 today

eDxFEVJ.jpg
Steve, that is a Happy Jack!! ;):cool::cool:

I bought this a long time ago when I knew very little about knives. This was my very first knife. ... Just that it was an unexpected treat to find my first knife, again.
20AC2BFB-4B7A-4717-82D7-C379476D17ED_zpstxzp8ojw.jpeg
Congrats on finding your first knife, Harvey!! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I've seen that model show up occasionally here on The Porch, and I've always thought it looked elegant and distinguished.

Old Southington in horn that’s new to me.
Congrats on the superb jack, Nick! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I've got a couple of classics for this Twosday, though only one is a knife. One for EDC-ing, the other for easy listening.

nzgoGm8.jpg

- Stuart
I'm not a huge country music fan, but I do have a Hank Williams LP I enjoy! :rolleyes::thumbsup:
I am a huge toothpick fan, but I don't have a BB Winchester to enjoy, but I'm glad you do!! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Back