What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

This one today :thumbsup:

Vjo7tvsh.jpg

So today's carry is in honor of Woodrow, a nice old man who always had a reese's cup and a story for a annoying little kid. Thank you Woodrow, and all of your brothers from every country that stormed the nightmare hell of that beach.
God bless the Woodrow's (the best) among us.

What bad things do I need to do to get one of those.....
It would be a worthy undertaking. There are five in existence. :cool:

Dwight, that photo does an excellent job of representing the thrill and the agony that get juxtaposed in the lives of most of us!
Well said GT. The Yin & Yang. Order & Chaos.

On June 6, 1944, my father (who passed in August 2017 at 96) graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West point, NY. The Normandy invasion was announced at the ceremony. By December, he was in the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment at the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium. The knives below were not his; I received them from my stepfather who collected them in 1980 to around 2006 (he passed in 2012 at 89). They are in my pockets today.

A Camillus USMC engineer's knife (1942) and and George Schrade "Presto" M-2 paratrooper knife (1940-1956):

EAGvX70.jpg

- Stuart

That's a great-looking knife, Dean! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Pen knife? Half whittler?

W:eek:W!! What jigging! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

The 1st knife you mentioned is a 1970 Case 6208 pattern. Case calls this a half whittler, but I think it is more properly a pen knife. (The 6308, however is a whittler). Thank you for kind comments on both of my knives!

The Battleship Texas is in Houston, near the San Jacinto monument (15 feet taller than the Washington Monument), where Sam Houston defeated a larger force of Mexicans under General Santa Ana, and won independence for Texas on April 21, 1836. The battleship saw service in both world wars. Smaller than the Lexington, of course, and you can tour it. Was under partial renovation last year when I last saw it.

The Texas is in La Porte, just SE of Houston. Don't be in a hurry to go see it though. It's being transported to Alabama for repairs. IF it survives the journey (50/50 IMO), then it's going to be relocated somewhere with more tourists. Galveston is the odds on favorite right now. All of the preceding subject to changes from last-minute legal wrangling.

John, you're 3 for 3 on the ones you listed. ;):thumbsup: The SBJr is a knife I won in a GAW @BigBiscuit ran to ask for prayers as he went in for his first surgery when he found out about his cancer. I started carrying it as a "prayer reminder" for everyone and everything on my daily prayer list. As for carrying, the Minichamp hangs from a little suspension hanger on the edge of my LFP and the Vic Solo stands in the "inboard edge" of my LFP in a little pouch I made by putting a safety pin through the pocket material. The SBJr and my scrimshawed RR stockman are in a nylon belt pouch that I carry in an outer pocket of my backpack, or vertically on my suspenders if they're narrow enough to fit through the pouch loops.
Thanks for explaining all that, GT. That sounds like a most excellent reason to carry the SBJr. :cool: :thumbsup:

are those Aquila strings on your uke? how you like them?

I'm not sure. It is a relatively inexpensive model that we bought for my son. It tunes pretty easily, but I don't know enough about Ukulele's to say whether it stays in tune well.

Back