What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Still - my 91 year old Mother today asked me for some Cracker Jacks :confused: Can I just bring her some carmel popcorn? :rolleyes: She asks for so little - I guess I better not go less than more, eh?

Ray

She doesn't care about the prize just looking for some munching as she sits in her wheelchair watching the birds (lots of them and a lovely variety) at the feeders. :cool:

KNIFE CONTENT - this beauty was my carry today ->

Detail-1.jpg

Thank you, fellas, for the compliments. I've eschewed a Barlow for today and went with a worthy replacement, I think.

3XbELKX.jpg
I am light headed... and Stevie Ray's Riviera Paradise has started playing in my head...

@Chui Thanks Paul! You certainly have a very attractive pair of sweet slicers today!
@Duckdog Thank you Stuart! Stunning bone covers on your "classy Cases!" Btw, your German "cork popper" is darn nice too!;)
@5K Qs Those great old memories; thanks GT! You have an excellent blade assortment in today's terrific trifecta!:cool:

I saw something that reminded me of strawberries, so I am going with these two Robeson Jacks (both English) today :D

Fantastic to see those two together Jeff :) :thumbsup:

First, type the "meaningful phrase". Then highlight it, and click on the icon above your reply window that looks like a couple of chain links (just to the right of the A) a window will pop up with a place to paste in a url.
Like this.
That's how you do it on a desktop computer, I haven't a clue if you're using a touch screen kind of machine. :confused:

I'm sad they don't have prizes in Cracker Jacks anymore. :(

I've never heard of Bayonne Cutlery, but I'm always on the lookout for 100 year old Jacks. Very cool! :cool::thumbsup:

Lambsfoot in horn in the sun:
mt2rS3o.jpg

Thank you for the reminder Rachel, I forgot how to do that a few years back, and have been meaning to ask someone! :D Hope I remember this time! :rolleyes: Great pic there :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, fellas, for the compliments. I've eschewed a Barlow for today and went with a worthy replacement, I think.

3XbELKX.jpg

Delightful pair Dylan :) :thumbsup:

It's funny, because when I was a kid, the prizes were made of plastic: little spinning tops or whistles. My mother rolled her eyes and said when she was little, the prizes were better: tin whistles and tiny porcelain dolls. Now the prizes are bits of paper with QRL codes on them that you scan with a phone or something.
"Oh boy! A QRL code!", said no child, ever.

I can't remember the last time I saw them on sale here (though I miss a lot of stuff). I remember my dad telling me about them, and then they became available again here in the 70's. There was a popular children's programme called Crackerjack here when I was a kid :thumbsup:

Wishing everyone a very happy weekend as I step out with a Hartshead Barlow and my Abbeydale Jack :) :thumbsup:

l7IMduI.jpg

uftiEGC.jpg

I'm sad they don't have prizes in Cracker Jacks anymore. :(

Well now you get a sticker, but that's hardly a prize.
And I'm not even sure if a certain law pertains to cracker jacks when they can still put things in cereal, it would explain this if it did.

Another antique mall find! This is a great barlow knife although I don't know much about the history of this knife. I cleaned it up and but I can't read the tang stamp, the price tag said it was from Massachussets with no date at all. The letters on the tang stamp are worn but I can make out "PENK DWE" on the top and on the bottom "QUINCY" on the bottom. Its a great knife, very solid and the blade pull was about a 6 before I flushed out everything, now its a 10!!! I am going to try and work at it still. The handle is a candy like sawcut brown that has been repaired with what looks like a resin mixed with sawdust to try and match the handle covers. If anyone has any info about where this came from or could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know more about the history of this knife. Also I sharpened it it up and into the pocket it went because it still has a lot of history left.
L3KTSS6.jpg

8pHEnC8.jpg

ck7w6rM.jpg

bPfXQZM.jpg

Last edited:
Was that movie called 1944, where Christopher Lee's Germans had sold Toshiro Mifune's Japanese a submarine with a defective compass, and somehow they caught Slim Pickens, who swallowed the compass out of the Cracker Jacks before the Japanese could use it?
John Belushi shoots down Tim Matheson, who was only pretending to be a pilot so that Nancy Allen would consort with him. Larraine Gary and Ned Beatty. Cameo by Robert Stack.

Scary. I saw that movie once in the early 80s.

You guys are getting off topic.

Going a little lighter today:
drxe1vh.jpg

Still - my 91 year old Mother today asked me for some Cracker Jacks :confused: Can I just bring her some carmel popcorn? :rolleyes: She asks for so little - I guess I better not go less than more, eh?

Ray

She doesn't care about the prize just looking for some munching as she sits in her wheelchair watching the birds (lots of them and a lovely variety) at the feeders. :cool:

KNIFE CONTENT - this beauty was my carry today ->

View attachment 1149035
Beautiful navaja, Ray.
And love the new profile pic :cool:

No. She wants some Cracker Jacks. Get your mother exactly what she wants.

Had to for all the kick-a$$ moms. Enjoy your visit with your mom! Enjoy the day!

All Porch Members, I enjoyed the reflections of “Prizes Past” and the current state of “Rip Off” for prizes.

I do enjoy a 100 calorie snack in its own box at the ready and, not allowing me to consume to many hollow calories. Eating a box of Cracker Jacks is so much more moralizing than having a small more processed snack.

A rare word post for me, but Mom and Cracker Jack had my attention.

Back