What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Beauty, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup: How big is that, anyway? I never thought about how to carry it; pocket carry works fine?
It's not big at all, just over 4 inches, similar to a Case trapper, but half the weight (1.9 oz). Very lightweight. It came with a little drawstring bag, but I carry it in an A. G. Russell leather pouch in my left front pocket. Any pocket slip or pouch that would accommodate a trapper would work.

Today's arrival:thumbsup:
7p6sNx.jpg

Thank you and would love to hear about that fantastic french knife ?
Thanks Gev! The knife is from the Camargue region of the south of France, handmade in the small village of Bezouce. The stamp on the bolster is known as the Camargue Cross with three elements, the cross, the anchor. and the heart which represent faith, hope and charity. I find these French regional artisans are quite interesting as they all forge a bit of their provincial history into their cutlery.:)

I bought a couple of those walnut Spartans on closeout once, but must have given them both away. :eek: Wish I'd have kept one! ;)
- GT

@5K Qs I usually carry a Pioneer. I bought the walnut Spartan just to try one with wooden handles but now I tend to carry it more than the Pioneer. I like it because its so light I barely notice I have a knife in my pocket.

@5K Qs Thank you GT for the nice words, and thank you for the Stockman. On my future list, after listening to you, is acquiring a Sowbelly. Your current carry knives, as always, are a joy to look at.

hanks JJ. Beautiful French Juniper LB!
Thanks Dwight! Your Hartshead looks great with the stag covers! Is that a recent production knife from Sheffield?
- yes, have a couple in Juniper too..........such an utterly delightful fragrance
I agree, a cover material that has a dual sense appeal!:thumbsup:;)
I was looking at one of those french ones in a shop, does the lock not depress in use? It looked kind of counter intuitive to me?
The curve of the handle keeps your hand forces in a forward direction, away from deploying the lock mechanism. It's a lighter use knife than a Buck 110, however.:eek:
John and Harvey and JJ, I got a sowbelly stockman in a set of 12 Rough Riders I ordered early on in my knife journey. I had never seen such a thing before, but once I started carrying it (I gave each knife a 1-week trial run, get-acquainted period), I found it hard to put away after a single week. IIRC, it actually got a 3-week run because I liked it so much. I have several sowbellies now, and that chestnut Case is certainly one of the best!
Thanks for the pizza info, Harvey. :) I'm going to pretend that's a healthier consumable prop than your bakery goods. ;)
I recently acquired my first sowbelly and immediately felt how ergonomic it feels in hand, with any of the blades open; great pattern!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
That's quite a foursome you have today! I don't recall seeing a melon tester quite like yours, very cool!:thumbsup::cool:

Last edited:
9EB37A6D-3A41-4A6E-A591-BC7CDF101DD8.jpeg As punishment for my woodlesswednesday, I shall be forced to carry these old things today.
Taylor’s Eye Witness Lambfoot in walnut, and Schrade Walden TL-29 in cocobolo.

I took this pic two hours ago in between a light shower right at dawn, and a much longer and heavier one just a few minutes later.
So glad for the rain!

View attachment 1163253 View attachment 1163254 Sabre Daddy Barlow and Camillus 68 Stockman. The cheap one has bone, and the Premium Stockman wears delrin.
Jer I was inspired by your fine hat to post mine with today's carry. :DIMG_4142.jpeg

Dwight, is that big groove in the mark side stag of your HHB lambsfoot like a custom thumb-slot when you grip the knife?
It is GT. Like unto the proverbial "glove". :cool:

@afishhunter - Very cool indeed! I hear bagpipes... :cool:

Thanks Dwight! Your Hartshead looks great with the stag covers! Is that a recent production knife from Sheffield
Thanks JJ. It is part of a recent Jack Black SFO.

Back