1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    My carry has been pretty static the last few weeks but I brought along a smaller companion as well today.

[​IMG]

2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    The Case trapper has been around for about a century, I believe. It is an extraordinary knife.
    [​IMG]
    Two large blades that will handle about anything, and a handle that was made for me.

3. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @Duckdog - Stuart, that was funny. It’s a sparkles paste that my wife uses to highlight her hair, as well as to accent her eye shadow.

Duckdog likes this.
  4. kai76

kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    @Duckdog Thanks Stuart. Love the pick bone and the swedge on the main blade of your Primble today!:thumbsup::thumbsup: It’s a beautiful knife!

Duckdog likes this.
  5. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Today my pocket tote will be a couple Robeson knives; a scout from '11-'21 and a Barlow from '48-'59.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

6. steelnut

steelnut Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
  7. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

8. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    10C38FCC-1FC7-4B7D-A031-112BE347ABCC.jpeg 73ED594C-0C2A-4E17-BCBE-85649A585524.jpeg

I have wanted to add a Scrimshaw knife to my collection for quite a while. Several weeks ago, I came across a very talented artist and decided to entrust her with a GEC white bone 78 as her canvas. She normally uses Chinese knives to keep the cost down, but I cannot abide by those products. She did a great job. I can lose myself in the scene she created.

@r8shell , I know you love Scrimshaw and thought you might enjoy seeing this.

@Gevonovich and @meako , as the Porch’s two poet laureates, I thought this knife might fire your imaginations!

Thanks @solphilos , the 78 is a classic. The walk and talk of every one that I have owned has been perfect. I thought the shape and large size of the handles would give her a lot of real estate to draw on.

Thanks Ron @Half/Stop !

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  9. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Wow! Stunning scrimshaw my friend, and on the perfect medium as well. Though I'm probably biased as I think the #78 is the greatest GEC out there.

Laurelbb and Leslie Tomville like this.
  10. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Beautiful Scrimshaw! :thumbsup: Congratulations on that one of a kind jewel! :)

cigarrodog and Leslie Tomville like this.
  11. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    IMG_0694-1024x898.JPG

12. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Don't worry, anyone who would think that's silly wouldn't be reading this forum. :p Heck, I've taken a couple knives out to a movie (a documentary about British soldiers in WW1, I wanted to carry a few 100 year old knives in my pocket - one English and one German made) :D
    Best wishes for your health. :):thumbsup:
    So cool! That's great work, thanks for showing it. :cool::thumbsup:

TFBraden, Duckdog, JJ Cahill and 9 others like this.
  13. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I’m totin these two today! Hope y’all have a blessed weekend! :)

[​IMG]

14. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    ‘Preciate it JJ!

Great knife, and I love the photo with the rain in the distance.

JJ Cahill and KnifeandEasy like this.
  15. DCFree

DCFree Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2019
    Of my (too) many knives, this is the one. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Nice pair, especially ‘Ol Scratchy there on the right. But my eyes are drawn to that beautiful walnut crotch wood your knives are posing on.

You have a blessed weekend as well, Ron! So far, so good...

After an extremely late start due to our wettest May in recorded history, the vegetable garden is catching up nicely. Broccoli heads are 3 or 4 inches across, a bunch of sweet grilling peppers are almost ready, and beans and squashes are blooming. I’m looking forward to the entire day in the perennial borders moving plants, battling the creeping charlie, and transplanting some young walnuts and oaks planted by the squirrels, so todays knives were picked with that in mind.

If you look closely in the squash blossom, you can see a bee doing what bees do... 0DED40C5-F89D-4E17-851F-B3FE1D8E97DA.jpeg

17. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    These two today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. VCM3

VCM3 Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 26, 2005
    John is grinding with 20" contact wheel these days

19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
  20. Tyd450

Tyd450 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2015
    [​IMG]

Decided to stick with the real lambfoot, no fake lambsfeet 'round these parts

Lift link, TFBraden, Duckdog and 23 others like this.