What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Exceptional knife, Paul! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

In addition to the knives prescribed by my rotation schedule, and my 4 literal EDCs, I'll sometimes carry one or two "free choice" knives that I just have a yearning to carry. Last week I carried an old Belknap Blue Grass Barlow and a new Case brown sawcut bone CV Barlow, just because they seemed so similar to me. This week, the Blue Grass Barlow is actually my Miscellaneous Knife of the Week, and I'm still carrying the Case as "free choice". (I've only had the Case for about a month and a half.)
View attachment 1197712

- GT
Thanks Gary, I admire not only your carries but the detailed method in which you choose;):thumbsup: Love both your Barlow's, I just rec'd a CASE like yours and it's an exceptional knife:thumbsup:
Today's carry for me.
DyNXAp.jpg

Beautiful Robesons JJ! :thumbsup: :)
JJ you continue to set the bar on your daily posts my friend! :thumbsup: :cool:
Thank you Ron!!! You certainly have a pair of wonderful beauties today; ebony is my favorite wood cover!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
JJ, beautiful Robesons with their trapezoidal long pulls. I have a well loved stockman from the same era that I pocketed today.

wQKH2IB.jpg
Thank you Jeff!!! Wonderful Robeson Stockman; their knife builds as well as their version of 1095 was almost unmatched, in my experience!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
Thank you are fine pair yesterday and today
Thank you very much Gev!!!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
You’re in. Please bring some of your beautiful collection.

Perfect Harvey, set the time machine for both Sheffield and the US east coast!;) My sweet tooth is savoring both of your appetizing marvels today!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Two jacks today, Texas & Harness.
texas-jack-harness-jack-1-jpg.1197581
Wonderful image of your two excellent Jacks; very cool!:cool::thumbsup:
Standout bone on both of those, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Exquisite jigging on the old Case, and such uniformly rich brown all the way to the bolster on the new Barlow! (I went to a Master Dealer on the way to vacation in early August specifically to pick out one like yours without the "color fade", but ended up buying the only brown saw cut they had left. Best laid plans ... :rolleyes:)
Fascinating pair, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I have quite a few SAKs, but only one is a Wenger; I know almost nothing about them, compared to Victorinox.
Thank you Gary!!! I really like how bone covered knives all have their own unique character.;) Those are the only Wengers that I have and I certainly hope to run across more; Wenger was in a French Canton of Switzerland while Victorinox is in a German Canton; I really like both companies!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)
I'm very impressed with the Case CV and yours is gorgeous; the older Blue Grass is super cool too!:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Last edited:

A tasty-looking tribute my friend :) :thumbsup:

I grabbed this Myers 77 melon tester last night to shave some lemon zest for a Martini or two. It felt so fine in hand and looked so elegant with the cocktail that I decided to tote it all day today. I did get a raised eyebrow from a buddy as we were sitting around a little while ago smoking cigars - I pulled it out to nip the end of a cigar that was shorter than the 4.25" blade.

tlISKdN.jpg

7vMDDex.jpg

Gpetfsb.jpg

- Stuart

I was admiring that knife in the other thread Stuart :) :thumbsup:

Your stag HHB and ebony gunstock make a fantastic pair, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: If that ebony knife keeps showing up so frequently, we may have to start calling you Gunstock Jack! ;) Oh, wait, that name is already taken!! :D

In addition to the knives prescribed by my rotation schedule, and my 4 literal EDCs, I'll sometimes carry one or two "free choice" knives that I just have a yearning to carry. Last week I carried an old Belknap Blue Grass Barlow and a new Case brown sawcut bone CV Barlow, just because they seemed so similar to me. This week, the Blue Grass Barlow is actually my Miscellaneous Knife of the Week, and I'm still carrying the Case as "free choice". (I've only had the Case for about a month and a half.)
View attachment 1197712

- GT

Thanks pal, the #44 was a gift from Duncan @Campbellclanman when he visited me earlier this year :) Great-looking pair of Barlows there :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack.:) Beautiful TC and Waynorth, my friend.

Thanks Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Today's carry for me.
DyNXAp.jpg

Nice choice Paul :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, got these two in my pockets today :) :thumbsup:

qwPOpNV.jpg

SoozQMm.jpg

pair-mark-vmain-post-jpg.1197712

Superb pair of Barlows, Gary.;):thumbsup:

I always enjoy your photos of your woodworker's bench, tools, and projects, but I'm stumped. Umbrella/cane stand? Firewood rack?
And nice job with the layout ~getting those holes marked correctly was impressive. Where did you salvage the iron bands from?

Made even more perfect by that gorgeous Rogers bone. And zero sharpening loss!

You carry and show the Ulster quite often, and I gotta tell you, I love looking at it. Love that Roger's bone!

Another pair of great jacks. The redbone is spectacular!

Very svelte and classy. Of what is it hafted? I see layers...

Other than it's length, it's hard to imagine it alarming anyone. Next time you prepare your cigar, whip out one of those huge folding hunters you've got.

Man, I came close to seriously bidding on a Blue Grass barlow a year or so ago, but it seemed like a few guys wanted it real bad, and I shuffled off in shame. You've got a lovely example of the breed! And good job on hand selecting the new Case. I like it.

Regarding Wenger, I like them. My first SAK was a Vik, the real big one ~ same model Buzzbait is currently breaking in. My then girlfriend, now wife found it laying on the sidewalk in the Quad at UI and gave it to me. Of course, I knew right then that she was the ONE! I eventually ended up with a bunch of Victorinoxes, but after getting my first Wenger, realized I prefer them a little more. There is more belly to the spear main (more attractive,imo).
The "regular" sized ones are slightly shorter than Vics, but their keychain SAK, the Esquire, is bigger than the Vic Classic. There are other reasons I like Wengers, not the least of which is rooting for the underdog. A Wenger Handyman is always in my left pocket, as well as the little Esquire that's on my spare keys in the same pocket. (Yes~I NEVER leave home without a set of backup car and front door keys in my left pocket- Old habit from having once locked my keys in my car on the south side of Chicago while making a sales call)

I understand that for decades, it was official Swiss policy to evenly contract with both companies in an effort to keep them both viable. But economies of scale and mass marketing took their toll, and Victorinox bought Wenger out a few years ago. I think the Wengers made after the acquisition are known as Wenger Delemont, denoting where they are made. Or do I have that backwards?

Thank you sir for your kind complement. I likewise enjoy your photographs as well. The barrel is from a 150 year old apple cider masher/press. I’m currently working on restoring it. The iron bands were original with the press and were riveted to the old staves. I made new ones and replaced them with screws instead of rivets.

Nice looking Copperhead and great picture of your LF !
Thanks for noticing, Steve. :)

Yesterday, I carried these~ Camillus TL-29, and Buck 2018 Blade Forum knife.View attachment 1196722 Today, a couple of antiques overdue for carry~ High Carbon Deluxe 4 blade cattle, made by Camillus for Sears, Roebuck- pre Craftsman days, and a nice old Voos jack.
Have a great Sunday, and thanks for all the great shots of your knives! View attachment 1196721
What a handsome and useful quartet, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Each time I see your DIY jigging, I'm more impressed! :eek::cool::thumbsup: Did you practice on scraps first?

My recently acquired BF Drover and a Camillus #73
Congrats on the BF Drover, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That looks like a Sears Uncle Henry stockman; really attractive! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I've been busy with putting on an induction dinner for our local sports hall of fame (whew, it's over with) and have been remiss in attendance here. ...
Today, I'm back to packin' a Parker.
- Stuart
Welcome back, and that Parker makes quite a splash for your return! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Breathtaking #38!! :eek::cool::cool:

Tough to beat that jigged bone WCLF and stag 73 combo, Taylor!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Great choices, Gary! Rough Rider seems to pick great stag. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean. :) RR's good stag predated my return to the knife world, but I was very fortunate to pick some up from @black mamba . :thumbsup::):cool:

Sunday stockman. Case calls this Walnut bone, so I had some walnuts.
That's an exceptional stockman, Dean; that series from Case is A-1! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

@Cutfinger - Long ago, I once fronted a band, sang and played blues harmonicas, yet never saw one dissected. Beautiful image.
You're not Dan Aykroyd, are you, Harvey??? ;):D Sounds like you've had a rich and varied life! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The one in the middle today.
199D82AD-B3CE-4D33-81C0-1BE619FC32FD_zpsrujc6zvl.jpeg
Speaking of life, how about advance warning before you post a heart-stopping image like that trio, Harvey? :eek::thumbsup::cool::cool:

Empire for Sunday.
What a classic, Nick! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Case Mini copper lock in Amber Peach seed jig bone. ...
Congrats on picking out a winner; that's a delightful pattern! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary; Cattarraugus responded to a questionnaire they gave the Boy Scouts in the late 1920s and designed the Whitt-L-Kraft around the results, pretty cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great to see your wonderful Quartet playing some fine visual music!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ; I don't think I've heard the Catt survey story before! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

The last 2 days I've been admiring Harry's (@Old Engineer) choices and realized I have half of that equation; my totes for Monday are the GEC 78 and a late 50s Imperial BSA.:)
Another great photo of another superb pair, JJ! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The checkered bone on the 78 is sensational!

:D It is always great to see your hardy perennials ;) :thumbsup:
Morning folks, and a very Happy Birthday to our friend Charlie @waynorth ! :) Have a great day Charlie, and many happy returns :thumbsup: I'm carrying two of the many knives Charlie has gifted me, my alpha and omega ;) :thumbsup:
Pam and I wish you a Happy Birthday Charlie @waynorth! It’s a pleasure to know you sir and we wish you all the best. I’m carrying two of my favorites from you today. An Ebony TC from 2014 and my new Ebony Waynorth Lambsfoot. :thumbsup: :D
Thanks, Jack. :)
Fine old ebony TCs and new WCLFs to celebrate Charlie's birthday, Jack and Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

After careful consideration of some of my choices
I will carry these today...
Harry
All the deliberation you invested paid off, Harry; that 93 pair is splendid! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Happy Monday Morning :)
Dignified dark duo, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Today's carry. This one belonged to my grandfather. Still doesn't look too bad for an almost 50 year old knife....
That Case stockman is a remarkable family heirloom, Todd! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JJ, beautiful Robesons with their trapezoidal long pulls. I have a well loved stockman from the same era that I pocketed today.
Excellent red Robeson, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

With all the Parker's being posted I carried one of mine, big 'ol fat hog of a sowbelly, 4-1/8 closed,5 blades.
That's a blue-ribbon sowbelly, David! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, Gary. Your EDC Quartet :thumbsup::thumbsup::D
My Blood Red TC Barlow.

Thanks, Dean. :)
Striking bone on your TC! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I grabbed this Myers 77 melon tester last night to shave some lemon zest for a Martini or two. ...
- Stuart
Marvelous melon tester, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I'm not familiar with Myers; is the tang stamp some kind of sunburst icon?

- GT

Back