What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

We'll wait to see that on Netflix on November 27th. We thought about going to see it at one of the NYC theatres on Broadway last week, but they were asking $157.00 a ticket! :eek: I hope you didn't pay that much!

Enjoy the day folks!
gUziseb.jpg

That's outrageous Gary! :eek: We paid £15 a ticket, which is pretty pricey here, but it's the standard price at the only cinema showing it locally, kind of fancy :rolleyes: Great film though :thumbsup:

Thank you, fellas!

Sawcut and Stag Saturday!

MDTon0h.jpg

Nice choice again buddy :thumbsup:

Totally agree!
aoa5R9A.jpg

That looks cool Dave :)

Thanks Jack!!! Lovely photo of you Ashley's Choice beauty!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey!!! You have the main course and dessert covered; both vey sweet!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For today I'm toting 2 great patterns from GEC; the classic #15 and the newer #29. :)

Thank you very much JJ, is the bail an addition to your #15? :thumbsup:

Afternoon folks, late getting started here, thanks to a lengthy Windows 10 update o_O Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and that you have a wonderful Sunday :) :thumbsup:

gZxlIQ7.jpg

Yet another trip down memory lane from last week.
The classic and trusty 8ot and one of my favorite delrin era knives made, the craftsman 9554 whittler.

View attachment 1235406
Appealing aged pair; the faux stag covers on the Craftsman are admirable! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Brilliant and beguiling, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, as it so happens ...... :)
But I am also a bit superstitious when it comes to this endeavor, and could not find the one piece of gear I simply cannot do without: my lucky Filson hunting hat. I have moved a couple of times in the last few years, and thought it was just lost to that process. A couple of nights before I was to leave, I decided to give it one last look. Sure enough, I found the thaumaturgical hat in the last place I hadn’t looked. But in that same box was my hunting knife of many years, that I had also thought was lost. It is an unremarkable Buck, but works well and also has it’s share of good fortune.
I was hesitant to bring it along, wanting to start new traditions, but thought it fortuitous to have found it and it would be bad karma to not bring it. It is a really good knife for field dressing, so I cleaned it and put a fresh edge on it, and put it in my pack.

So, on opening morning, I saw a buck. I was planning on only shooting a doe, but there he was. Nothing huge or especially remarkable, but a decent buck for where I hunt. I had a good shot but he started to move as I was going to shoot. And making the cardinal sin of shooting at a (albeit slow) moving target, I hit a tree. To my utter amazement, he simply stopped walking. I worked the bolt of my rifle, found him in the crosshairs and fired again. He went straight down. Then bounced right back up again. I chambered the last round in my rifle and fired again. He went down for good. Both shots that hit were lethal and within an inch of each other. I am naming this buck “3 Strikes” :).
I like to think that my dad was with me to some degree that morning, and that some physical items really are lucky. I am also beginning to think that some traditions you should honor even if the memories bring up some sad truths about someone passing. (Sorry this post is so long).
Cool story, Tom; congrats on finding and using old equipment and on the successful hunt! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: And, as Jeff noted, thanks for expanding my vocabulary: "thaumaturgical" is not a word I can remember running across prior to your post! ;)

My wooden Wednesday totes are both of the Barlow variety; a S&M Daddy Barlow in lightning wood and a Lionsteel/CK Barlow in ebony.:)
Morning folks, going with some wood today, my 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot SFO and a vintage Joseph Haywood :) Have a good day peeps ;) :thumbsup:
Nice buck!
I had to look up that word you used to describe your hat ~ I thought it might be a fancy word for ugly!
And if you ever saw my favorite hats, you’d know that is a good thing. I figure the uglier my hat is, the better I look in contrast.
Today I have the Eagle in ebony, and Camillus in cocobolo.View attachment 1235839
Terrific timber twosomes for WW, JJ & JB & AF! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
JJ, the lightning wood on the S&M looks thaumaturgical :D, and Jack, Lucy is such a chameleon, depending on the light – that's a champion photo of Lucy in the bright sun! ;)
Jeff, your pair is not only likably ligneous, but the makers and the wood types display all-star alliteration! :eek::thumbsup: The dermatologist says I have to keep the sun off my face, so I wear ball caps year-round, and may have to try your trick for improving my appearance. ;)

Today in my pocket this Victorinox alox old cross.;):thumbsup:
Distinguished Pioneer, José! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Good morning. First time posting in over a week and I’ve got Linus and a stag Churchill in my pocket today. :)
Welcome back, Ron; excellent pairing for your triumphant return! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I hope you and your new phone are healthy as horses now! ;)

Merci, Gary! (That's sort of a rhyme, too! :D)
:thumbsup::D:thumbsup: Vince, we should get us a couple of berets inscribed with "Club des poètes français"

Me too Gary, though I just thought that's just how the countryside smelled! :D :thumbsup:

Those are Turkish Hazelnuts my friend, I gathered them just down the road, actually just opposite my dentists. I did thankyou, just needing sticking back in (though I am finding it a little proud) :thumbsup:

Thanks again Gary :D :thumbsup:
Thanks for the replies, Jack. :) My siblings and I used to get a variety of "exotic" fruits, nuts, and candies in bags that all the kids received after our annual school Christmas program. Your hazelnuts remind me a little of what I remember as nuts we called "filberts"; they were quite good (but the best part of the Christmas nuts was being allowed to use the nutcracker that was hidden away with the Christmas decorations most of the year! ;):thumbsup:
(I just googled the two types of nuts I mentioned, and discovered they're actually the same! Interesting link:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/why-are-hazelnuts-called-filberts-1808319 )

Finding knives older than we are gets harder every year, doesn't it? ;)

Thanks, Gary. I also find the pile side jigging at least, if not more, interesting. In the right lighting, I almost see a zig-zag pattern.
I'm not sure thanks are in order for posting that video. I only vaguely remember the song, and had to google the lyrics to make sure I was hearing them correctly. :confused::eek:

Nibbling on bacon, chewing on cheese
Sam says to Suzie, Honey, would you please be my Mrs.
Suzie says yes with her kisses
Now he's tickling her fancy, rubbing her toes
Muzzle to muzzle, now, anything goes as they wriggle,
Sue starts to giggle...o_O

Speaking of interesting old fashioned candy, here's some from our friend in Yorkshire, along with an ebony Lambsfoot for Wooden Wednesday.
Thanks, GT. Nice to see that scout again. :cool::thumbsup:
I've got a great recipe for chopped chicken liver. Full of iron, but I only make it a few times a year, for cholesterol reasons. If one thing doesn't get you, another thing will. :rolleyes:
Cool pic of your big ebony, Rachel! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
The song is shockingly risqué, but it WAS the '70s and muskrats ARE complete ANIMALS! ;)
Ain't that the truth about health concerns?!? :eek::rolleyes: My blood work shows possible anemia concerns (red blood cells are too big??) as well as my perennial walking the knife edge of borderline cholesterol concerns (too much LDL, too little HDL, but triglycerides to be proud of). I may have to give up my 10 peanut butter M&Ms per day and my 12 tortilla chips after supper each night, as well as increase exercise beyond my current 60+minutes/day!

For Wooden Wednesday.
Outstanding OO and jigged wood! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For Wooden Wednesday, the 2015 Bladeforums CSC double-ended jack.
That's a grand wood-handled BF knife, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Heck of a handful of pocket knives, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Those are a couple of the best from 2019, IMHO! ;)

Fantastic foursome you have today Gary; always love an old Imperial but that BSA Sarge is very cool!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for your consistent positivity, JJ! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: The Sarge Barlow may be my only example of 440C blades, and the Imperial toothpick isn't my grandpa's knife, but it's VERY similar to one he carried 60 years ago!

Very beautiful these knives, Gary.;):thumbsup:
A bunch of nice choices, GT.
I appreciate your assessments, José & John. :)

Today in my pocket this little knife Case XX peanut.;):thumbsup:
Impeccable stag peanut! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Big Joker lockback:
bigstagLB.pile.Vopen.release.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is a Wright stag senator I call Man Jack (thanks for the GAW, @R.c.s ):
MJ.pile.V.wisteria.jpg

- GT

Happy Thursday
A very handy pair of tools to carry...
Not only functionally handy, but both have forms that bring joy! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
The first time I ever noticed a Gerber Shard was in one of your pics, and what caught my eye was its "bird shape"! :)

Kouple of Klassic Knives, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Have you reshaped and refinished the Opinel handle?

Cool line-up GT :) :thumbsup:
I was first introduced to them about 20 years ago GT, and bought 1/2 lb, completely forgetting about the fact there'd be caffeine in them until I couldn't get to sleep that night! :eek: :D Terrific trio my friend :) :thumbsup:
Cool Canoe :cool: :thumbsup:

Afternoon folks, I've been helping my mate out on my local market today, and it's been COLD :eek: But I've been warming my hands, and carving cake, with these two ;) Hope everyone is having a good day :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words, Jack. :)
When we drive to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for our annual vacation (5-6 hours in the car), I consume quite a few of the dark chocolate espresso beans on the trip, and they're quite effective in keeping me awake for the trip and most of the first night once we arrive! :eek::rolleyes:
Your stag HHB photographs so well outside!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You're not wrong, although your lovely wife may say othrwise...
That Case was virtually brand new looking when I got it from the auction site. If it were old, I think it might have been bone instead of delrin. Since it's stainless, I'm never going to get a patina on it.
Thanks for the info, Jeff. I think I was misled by the blade etch including something about "Tested XX" and my dangerously-little knowledge of Case dates took that as evidence of an old knife! :eek:

That is a nice group of knives, Gary; especially the Camillus.
Thank you, Gary. That is another fine group of knives, especially the Pioneer.
Thank you, Gary. I hope there is a simple solution for your possible anemia. Great canoes, as usual.
Thanks for your input, Dean; it's always interesting to me to hear the preferences of "impartial observers" regarding my knives, and to compare those preferences to my own subjective preferences. ;)

I carried these two knives on my hike this morning. The red stockman is a new acquisition.
Laudable pair, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: The Camillus Barlow looks brand new, and congrats on the red Case stockman!

Lionsteel M1 and my ever-present Pioneer X today.
Great pair, Tom; my favorite, of course, is the Pioneer X! :cool::cool:;)

Utica and a Case
Marvelous covers on the Utica, Steve (and the Case stockman looks very similar to the new one Dean was carrying that day ;)). :cool::cool::thumbsup:

... Many gec's don't respond well to angles much lower than around 20 degrees per side, if you are picky like me and like narrow edge bevels.
Interesting. I often think I'm being picky because I like wide edge bevels. :rolleyes:

A couple in Stag for me today.

oDZd2UG.jpg
Salubrious stag, Dylan! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you for the kind words, GT. Some great SAKs there.
Thanks, Harvey. :) I think because my first pocket knife as a kid was a scout pattern, I still have a real soft spot for that pattern, including all the SAK variations.

Thank you very much Gary!!! Great set of scout triplets for you; that Imperial BSA is certainly a rare bird!:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Gary!!! A couple more lovely canoes for you today; love the Rams Horn on your Marbles!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for your comments, JJ. :) I'm pleased as can be with the pile-side "crater" on my ram's horn canoe. I also have little knowledge of the relative rarity of various knives and thus don't appreciate some of mine as much as I should. :rolleyes: What makes the Imperial rare: that it's BSA, or that it's WHITE BSA? (I happen to have an identical red version, too.)

For Friday my pair both have black covers; a beefy GEC 21 and a diminutive KK Jr Stockman. :)
Notable black Friday pair, JJ; love the little KK stockman!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

The postman arrived and delivered this beautiful Taylor's Eye Witness Lambfoot Pocket Knife knife - Ram's horn Work back.;):thumbsup:
Congrats on the ornate ram's horn lambsfoot, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Beautiful Vic, Gary.;):thumbsup:
Nice canoes, I don't have one yet, but that day will come anytime.;):thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words, José. :) What kind of canoe do you dream of getting?

John Lloyd amber stag sowbelly with a bison leather slip by Hulen Wilhite.View attachment 1236923
Tons of terrific texture in that photo, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Free Choice knives this week are a GEC #72 (thanks, @GuestWho101) and a Case mini copperlock (thanks, Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville ):
braid.mark.72.jpg

mcl.mark.Vopen.jpg

- GT

For today I'm toting 2 great patterns from GEC; the classic #15 and the newer #29. :)
Thank you JJ. The bale and lanyard makes for a classy look. The osage29 is ditto.:):thumbsup:

@Chui - Thank you kindly, Paul. Your Tony Bose Image is excellent.

5K Qs 5K Qs - Hi GT.:) That curly leather lanyard on your 72 is so cool.

Jack Black Jack Black - Love that vintage Sheffield Coachman.

Last edited:

Nice to see your well-used Lambsfoot Jeff :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, Jack. :) My siblings and I used to get a variety of "exotic" fruits, nuts, and candies in bags that all the kids received after our annual school Christmas program. Your hazelnuts remind me a little of what I remember as nuts we called "filberts"; they were quite good (but the best part of the Christmas nuts was being allowed to use the nutcracker that was hidden away with the Christmas decorations most of the year! ;):thumbsup:
(I just googled the two types of nuts I mentioned, and discovered they're actually the same! Interesting link:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/why-are-hazelnuts-called-filberts-1808319 )

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Big Joker lockback:
View attachment 1238307

Lambsfoot of the Week is a Wright stag senator I call Man Jack (thanks for the GAW, @R.c.s ):
View attachment 1238309

- GT

That's fascinating Gary, I have heard folks refer to cob nuts before, but not filberts, what a nice name :) Several old patterns have a nutcracker for hazelnuts :cool: :thumbsup:

fh4pWuC.jpg

That's some good-looking stag my friend :thumbsup:

Expect to see a lot of my Hartshead this week...

Looking forward to that John :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, Jack. :)
When we drive to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for our annual vacation (5-6 hours in the car), I consume quite a few of the dark chocolate espresso beans on the trip, and they're quite effective in keeping me awake for the trip and most of the first night once we arrive! :eek::rolleyes:
Your stag HHB photographs so well outside!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1238311

Thanks again my friend, that #72 is a peach :) :thumbsup:

Back