What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

These two today

2MGe4tm.jpg

put on a new bevel on this rascal, took to the stones pretty good;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2
I took mine to the stones as well, Gary. Your edge looks better than mine, though! I also found that the VG-10 was very responsive to my water stones (1000, 1200, 5000). Did yours have some extra thickness at the plunge grind? Mine was pretty thick there--so much so that a small portion of it wasn't making contact with the stones while the rest of the edge was doing just fine. I'd be interested to know how hard this steel is. I did some cardboard cutting (not a lot) and needed to take it to the honing rod for a couple of swipes to get it back to hair popping sharp.

LOL! :D Nice pair Rachel :)
Thanks!
Inspired pairing, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The glitter above the ebony reminds me of the Milky Way spreading through the blackness of otherwise relatively-empty night sky!
Very poetic! I like the contrast, and as much as I love the Barlow, I feel I need to carry a straight edge as well. Good thing I have more than one pocket.
h87hYYj.jpg

My only "cane" near completion is this red oak branch. The bend at the top is a serviceable handle, although I'm considering topping it with some kind of pipe joint from the hardware store for a better grip. I have a rubber tip on the bottom.
electrician-cane-fulllength-jpg.1514644
That should make a very serviceable cane.
I used a walking stick last week. Nothing fancy, a little under shoulder high. I felt much more confident walking on the snow and icy sidewalks with it.
rCSzSRj.jpg

Thank you, Jack. :)

That looks like a fantastic and beautiful Fixed Blade. :thumbsup:

Thank you, the blade is quite short, but I carry it quite often. Flat-ground D2. I wish it had a lanyard hole, but otherwise I've been very pleased with it :) :thumbsup:

ADQoH5V.jpg

Once again for Micarta Monday
Displayed with a fob that my friend Dennis made me.

I wonder how Dennis is doing, I hope he's OK? :) :thumbsup:

I think you’ll like what you see—the only problem is you’ll like them too much! I have a Scagel style woodcraft on the way.

Looks like a great blade—great size for maximum versatility.

Yes, easy to become addicted! :D ;) I'll look forward to seeing that one :) Thank you very much :) :thumbsup:

put on a new bevel on this rascal, took to the stones pretty good;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Nice job Gary :cool: 'Rascal' it is! :D :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black ~ can you get your hands on any Irish blackthorne? If it turns out too short, you could have a cudgel. Or as an old retired cop referred to his sap, a “persuader”.

I could never find in Ireland Jeff, and blackthorn sticks are rather pricey online, but I should look to see if I can get hold of some, maybe reach out to a few pals over in Ireland :) I do have a few hefty sticks - and quite a few saps too! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Nice work on that Svord :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Very poetic! I like the contrast, and as much as I love the Barlow, I feel I need to carry a straight edge as well. Good thing I have more than one pocket.
h87hYYj.jpg

That should make a very serviceable cane.
I used a walking stick last week. Nothing fancy, a little under shoulder high. I felt much more confident walking on the snow and icy sidewalks with it.
rCSzSRj.jpg

Yeah, definitely makes a difference having another 'leg'! :D Nice carving Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the kind words JJ, what a superb pair of Sunday Scouts :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Thank you most kindly, Jack!!!
Hope everyone had a great weekend :) I'm starting off my week with my trusty Hartshead Barlow and a German Jack for Metal Monday ;) :thumbsup:

dfVvCkA.jpg

9VJapRA.jpg
Very cool companion to your Hartshead Barlow to start the week; it looks like that metal German jack has a couple great slicing blades! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That knife is truly fantastic!
Love the saw cut bone, the squared butt, and the Sheepsfoot... it all works perfectly together.

There it is again! Nice looking fob as well!
Get used to seeing it every Monday. :D
My friend @mitch4ging made the fob for me... it's my favorite color.

Thank you, the blade is quite short
That's what I really like about it... handy edc size. :cool::thumbsup:

I wonder how Dennis is doing, I hope he's OK?
I hope so too... I haven't heard from him in about a month. :(

Many thanks for the kind words JJ, what a superb pair of Sunday Scouts :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Thank you very much, Gary!!!
When I saw the box you posted, I thought, "That number should be easy for me to remember: first 2 digits make the only 2-digit perfect number, and last 2 digits are my birth year." So then I looked at a photo of mine and the model number is 2857. So now I wonder if I really have the same Black Box Winchester as you posted (my eyes are less than reliable these days o_O).
jack-2857-pile-open-jpg.1514641
Beautiful Black Box Winchester, Gary; I love those old Utica bone covers, very cool!:D:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you most kindly, Jack!!!

Very cool companion to your Hartshead Barlow to start the week; it looks like that metal German jack has a couple great slicing blades! :cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you very much JJ, a cheap knife I'd guess, but the blades are of decent forged steel :) :thumbsup:

That's what I really like about it... handy edc size. :cool::thumbsup:

I hope so too... I haven't heard from him in about a month. :(

:) :thumbsup:

I hope he calls in soon :thumbsup:

Toting this pair from Robeson in the 20s-30s, both wearing the same covers. :)

Nice related Robesons JJ :) :thumbsup:

Back