What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I just found this pioneer at an antique store. It was labeled as a farmer, but there's no saw. It appears to be practically unused - what looks like the factory edge still pops hair. I paid about 1/3 of what I paid for my electrician, so I'm pretty happy about that.
9KsNP9f.jpg

Love that! I remember when I was a kid, and saw the movie Jaws in the theater. Before the movie started they showed the Patterson film of Bigfoot. By the time that night was over I was terrified (and hooked). I didn’t go in the water or the woods for months!:D
01398629-5A47-48C4-B5C3-803605C20450.jpeg
The “Patterson poise!”:D
8BCFFD0F-9E5D-42EF-9D4A-D5FF49FF554A.jpeg
A fave with me today.
View attachment 1517259
A great day to all.
Hey, big fan also of the “B&C-less” #15 B&C. Just wondering, has that hole caused any issues with the knife BESIDES resale value?;):thumbsup: I think I did get some apple juice in my ebony once!:rolleyes::D (Forgot the pics)
0BA50740-035F-4784-AB22-5D85745A246B.jpeg 0058F5C5-4E2F-4C6D-9445-77198F60AB53.jpeg

Hey, big fan also of the “B&C-less” #15 B&C. Just wondering, has that hole caused any issues with the knife BESIDES resale value?;):thumbsup: I think I did get some apple juice in my ebony once!:rolleyes::D (Forgot the pics)
Thanks bigfish64 bigfish64
Not at all and not that I’ve put through any real hard paces, it’s still lookin’ great!
The holes also don’t make it all the way through to the blade well. The scale’s holes are wider than the sleeve’s are. I’ve bought four variants of the B&C’s, yet there can only be one, unchained;):thumbsup:

That one looks too new and shiny... needs more pocket time. ;)

That's a very pretty pairing. :cool::thumbsup:

I hope he's got a nice traditional knife to carry
Unfortunately, he's got a nice small collection of knives but never carries any of them. :(

I've been browsing small fixed blade knives and the Guardian 3 is on my short list. :cool::thumbsup:
By the way, I heard from Dennis this morning and he's doing good. :):thumbsup:

I have that same knife, it lives in my Jeep.
I was always fascinated by Big Foot as a kid.

The Big Foot :eek::eek: Mock its existence at your peril .....;):thumbsup:
Lol... that's awesome. :cool::thumbsup:

Beautiful sunny morning here, supposed to hit 60 degrees today! :cool: I’ve taken pictures of several knives this morning but I’ll probably be carrying this one today. Always had a thing for tortoise, wish GEC would do more, this is the only one I have, right now anyway. Have a fantastic Saturday everyone!:thumbsup:
F146634D-35CE-4D39-972B-3C6520CB97C4.jpeg

And triple C's... very impressive. ;)
Aw, shucks - twarn't nuthin'! :oops:;)

I've been missing my #66 Jack, so I'll give it some love today...
Very nice pairing, John! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I think of the GEC 66 as the Calf Roper stockman, and often forget about all the other interesting configurations of that frame.

Camillus 4 line stockman and a TC Barlow

U8YnYqy.jpg
I don't really know exactly what a "premium stockman" is, but I'd sure call that Camillus premium, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like this pair- lots of function, and in my eyes, beauty. Blue camel bone is hard to beat for me.

lUuLV7M.jpg
I'm usually not a fan of camel bone and the uneven dye it often has, but your blue one is an exception! That reminds me of summer sky, which looks fantastic to me at this time of year! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Making up for yesterday with some wood.
I have knives I like better because of personal taste but man this one makes for a great pocket knife.
F838833-E-9128-4-E64-A318-C7-AEB676-FF7-A.jpg
Epitome of elegance for a pocket knife! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Finally warm enough to get outside!
IMG_E0967 by jacob dudley, on Flickr
That knife is "cream of the crop" :thumbsup::cool::cool:, but your lunch looks kind of "bottom of the barrel." :rolleyes:

E97-D9-D83-2-AFA-49-DD-90-B1-A5-CA851-F50-C2-1-201-a.jpg

If only the Trojans had possessed an E. Bruckmann and an Ashley's Choice Lambsfoot they could have escaped the deception of the Greeks!
But we'd have been deprived of a heck of a story! :eek:
Classic pair of knives, Joshua! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

It's still there.
:cool::thumbsup:

Using an old pic for what I am carrying today .

Harry
Astounding photo showing off the charms of a couple of vintage knives, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Going with a couple from Cattaraugus today. :)
Couple of very cool Catts, JJ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gary, your cinnamon stag bone RR with Damascus blades canoe is stunning! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::eek:
Thanks, Dean. :) That sums up my reaction every time I look at it.

I carried my Orchard Gem (aka Farmer's Jack) on my hike today.

View attachment 1516306
Looks great with the grass starting to poke out of the snow! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

...Because there was several times today when having just one spear point just wasn’t enough...

Delightful duo, Jon! :cool::cool::thumbsup: But your words had me grinning at an image of you coming at some situation with a spearpoint protruding from each fist... :D

Little late posting today, overcast day around here today so I broke out the cloud shields!:thumbsup:
View attachment 1516343
:D:thumbsup::D

No, ice sculptor I’m not. The snow on the deck had been keeping me from posing my daily totes on Dead Guy’s Table, but this time I risked getting snow inside of my LL Bean moccasins. That’s when I saw that lump of ice on the railing. I think it was formed, partially melted/carved, re-formed, repeatedly by melt water coming off the eaves.

@paulhilborn fixed that jack up nicely. I think that shape calls for an EO notch.
Yeah, I definitely like the EO (but there are many who just as definitely think it spoils the pattern.)
I still think it's quite a coincidence that your melt water ice lump looks remarkably like the head of the fish on your SAK! ;)

Very nice Gary, how do you find that RR Damascus? :thumbsup:
Hope everyone has had a reasonable, and that you all have a great weekend ahead :) Carrying my Hartshead Barlow again today, and an Old Friend :thumbsup:

764wQK1.jpg

LNGIZiN.jpg
Jack, I'm a Damascus neophyte, so really have nothing to which I can compare my RR. It's certainly far better than a couple of knives I have with "damascus-etched" blades! :eek:
Your HHB and GEC 66 make a productive pair! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

CASE again, Half-Whittler, two spring version.

tyXAme3.jpg
Handsome half whittler, Will! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

It doesn't take up much room. ;)
xEqx0Sc.jpg
That's certainly part of its charm! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you GT! Luckily I turned 65 first and was able to figure it out so I could advise her. As a military retiree Medicare works with the DOD Tricare program to complete your coverage so I didn't have to read the dozens of supplemental insurance booklets that arrived in the mail by magic. That would have been a nightmare. BB
Ain't that the truth! :eek::rolleyes: I convinced my wife that, at least for this first year of Medicare for her, we should both go with the Medicare Advantage plan I've been using for several years, since I'm familiar with it and can help her out if questions come up.

An old friend for Friday.
0zRjtyt.jpg
Old, but with plenty of work left in those blades! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That one would HAVE to be your favorite. :cool::thumbsup:
:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

For Black Friday... my Charlie Lamb.
For Old Friends Friday... my first GEC, the #56 Bird Dog.
Striking covers on that duo, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Really attractive knife! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Are there other knives with sawcut WOOD covers? I think that's really desirable!

Good morning! Life is directed by the decisions we make. Often, those decisions, and the actions they dictate can seem overwhelming. Career decisions, construction and repair projects, getting financially squared away, diet and fitness, etc, can look like a giant mess of “where do I start?”.
Unless we decide where and when to start, nothing will get done. For me, the best course is to start small and easy. Therefore, I took the easy decision first today by deciding to carry the knives that were already in my blue jeans~ this Case whittler and Vic Fisherman.
That wasn’t so hard.:D
View attachment 1516665
I always say: Come to The Porch for the knives, stay for the philosophy and life coaching! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thank you, Gary.:) I only have 59 Barlows; I think the standard Barlow Barrel can hold 75. :D
I learn something new almost every day! ;):cool: I must have been thinking of a pony keg of Barlows. :rolleyes:

I'm carrying this Barlow for Black Friday.

View attachment 1516716
The black and silver make that a very dignified Barlow, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Splendid BF Viper, Alan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I hope your recuperation is going well. :thumbsup::) (Yesterday I got my first dose of COVID vaccine, so I'm rather excited about that!)

Everyone have a great weekend.

ui2yMxn.jpg
Ravishing red bone, Tim! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: RR half whittler?

I’ll have to work tomorrow, but TGIF! Been a busy week and I’m ready for a little break!
Ebony Lamb again today.
You all seemed to like the load of hay going out the other day, so I grabbed another picture earlier this morning. Sent 18 squares of that “high octane” :cool: alfalfa with a guy for his horses.
7-C8-DDC1-F-40-BC-42-CA-9-E93-59-EF732-C00-AF.jpg
I haven't baled hay for over 50 years, but I'm sure glad that back when I did, we weren't trying to lug around "bales" THAT size!! :eek: At the end of a day, 50-pounders had usually done me in. ;)

Oregon Trapper and a Churchill

63kBZK5.jpg
Not really oldies, but certainly goodies, Steve (especially the ebony Churchill)! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Back