What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

finished a Paring knife with 4 1/8” blade of Damascus suminagashi with white steel core. Blue dyed and stabilized Buckeye Burl handle.

N8r6dZH.jpg

Nice! I have a couple chef knives coming from HT (hopefully) soon. I had not thought about etching them. What did you use to etch if you don't mind me asking?

Nice! I have a couple chef knives coming from HT (hopefully) soon. I had not thought about etching them. What did you use to etch if you don't mind me asking?
thanks, FC 3:1, fast etch, sometimes I do it deeper, sometimes light, sometimes I do other things :)

DanF DanF

Here is what the individual components cost and where I got them:

Worldwide Electric 1/2 hp 3ph motor: $63 (Amazon)
KBWA-23D VFD: $133 (KB-Controls)
9” Beveled Disc: $83 (USA Knifemaker)

Total: $279 plus the various shipping. I also ordered a bunch of rhynowet 9x11 paper and a sheet of rubber backing to use with the high grits from USA Knifemaker. Not the beefiest build, but I’m hoping it can handle my roughly 10 knives a year hobbiest pace. I stuck to just 1/2 hp really because of VFD options. The bigger hp seems to spike the VFD cost more than it does the motor cost.

Sounds like a considerable savings!

Here is a new sheath I made for the AV Attack 14 in 80crv2.

This is lined with Ultra suede and complete disassembles for cleaning. I turned a frog for waist band carry.

LWfLo2S.jpg

E3b7MTh.jpg

NtNS8Z5.jpg

Pj3rdYG.jpg

Finally finished getting my disc grinder put together. I still need to decide for sure how I want to mount it, so it’s just set on the bench top for now.

Lanternnate, that wood mock-up is pretty sharp. Do you grind all of you bevels on a disc grinder? I've never seen that done.
QCrQz44.jpg

I was really itching to try it. I don’t have anything ready for grinding right now though, so I grabbed a little scrap of pine and had some fun. I’m pretty happy with how my new toy runs. Can’t wait to try it on some steel.

kHAvcHe.jpg

EAys8LB.jpg

S Sprayman yes that wood mock up was done entirely on the disc as my first practice go. My plan is to use the disc as the only grinder for the flats and bevels on my blades (though for most I will forge the bevels in, reducing how much grinding is ultimately needed). I have a 1x42 belt grinder that does a decent enough job on handles, but is very frustrating to try to do bevels with because of the narrow platen and less than ideal tracking. I plan to relegate the 1x42 to being just for handles.

A Marples jungle bowie. It's not finished yet as I've gotten new tools since I shaped the handle a while back. I removed the scales, reshaped the handle, stripped the paint, handled in walnut and filed in a ricasso. I bathed it in vinegar to darken the blade too but I may polish it..

l39aGwG.jpg

bsq5RTs.jpg
j8bmphz.jpg
SrLJOGr.jpg

Last edited:
A few months ago, I posted a pic of my first, very simple pattern-welded (15n20/1084) billet I welded in my little Atlas mini forge.
Here's a few pics of it. Still need to clean some buffing compound off it in places.
IMG_20180614_131510.jpg IMG_20180614_131430.jpg IMG_20180614_131510.jpg IMG_20180614_131554.jpg IMG_20180614_131430.jpg IMG_20180614_131510.jpg IMG_20180614_131554.jpg IMG_20180614_131724.jpg
I was particularly happy with this one as I made everything for it, excluding the female side of a Corby bolt that screws into the threaded tang.
Blade 5.25", OAL 9-3/8"

Last edited:
LOL Excellent!!!!

Attempting my first folder. A friction folder to keep things simple. The design should be familiar to a certain cigar smoking Argentinian maker who likes to frequent these forums:

XHSM02j.jpg

Back